LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Some thoughts for folks getting back into the game:

Moria is still my favorite part of the game, and it has been made easier to travel around and easier to solo since release. Most of the original game has likewise been updated along those lines.

I liked the Isengard expansion, but it feels like it starts slowly especially if you do all of Enedwaith first. Dunland and Enedwaith have a samey-samey sort of feel to them, I think. But I liked Isengard and the Grey Company stuff well enough.

The Rohan expansion is a problem though, and I gather this one marked the decline of LotRO. I don’t think it is paced well and the story kind of peters off without a significant end-game, one that I found easy to just miss entirely. Which is less of a problem now that you can just move on, I guess. But you can’t avoid mounted combat. Which is occasionally fun in some instanced quests but otherwise… not so much. It starts off badly because you need to level up some horse attributes just to make it seem like you aren’t driving a tug-boat, and the combat itself isn’t particularly interesting what with the limitations of the game engine. Oh well - you can power through it and mounted combat becomes more or less optional in later expansions.

Helm’s Deep is also fun I think, though. Although most of the expansion is actually just getting there. Many people seem to have shrugged off the end-game Epic Battles… which might be fair. Like mounted combat you need to level up some stuff for them to be interesting, which means sucking at it for a while which isn’t exactly a good introduction to a new mechanic. They’ve grown on me though, and I do reasonably well at them now. They seem at first like a pointless iteration on the Skirmish system, but they are fairly different, I find.

After Helm’s Deep you get into Gondor and the new release cycle where it is just a zone at a time every six months or so. People seem okay with this versus the big expansions, and since the server merging things in Middle-Earth seem active again, now, out there. I’ve liked a lot of what they’ve done in these expansions (particularly fond of Dol Amroth and Osgiliath), but I lost interest in the middle of Minas Tirith (but they’ve overhauled the travel system - again with this! - so your experience might be improved) before I got to the new Epic Battles. And the newest expansion - Battle of Pelennor Fields - does have some fairly good bits, but I’m getting this suspicion that I’m paying more for these last two expansions then I’m getting out of them.

Some tips: level 100 legendary items can use an optional alternate leveling system that seems to more or less fulfill the promise of what legendary items were supposed to be when they were introduced like, ten years ago. I would entertain skipping using legendary items until level 100 if I were going around again, maybe only just keeping some items in the slots, leveling them up, and deconstructing them for item experience so as to have a pool of it available for later.

It’s also good to keep in mind that there’s a lot of scaled level instance and skirmish content to fool around in. I’m doing the Osgiliath instances at level 50 - no noteworthy reward other than finishing up some quests and seeing some new content, but that can be enough enjoyment by itself, I find. (Also, I’m too lazy to join groups.)

Moria was great!

I came back to LOTRO about a year after Moria was released, and pretty much soloed all of it, and found LOADS of groups to do the various dungeons with, as people were farming reputation and deeds still…

When you think about it, the idea of having deeds -sort of- tied to various dungeons requiring repeated playthrougs in a way ensures that new players will have a higher chance of getting groups for them…

Of course; Rift solves this in a much more elegant way by giving highlevel characters bonuses for “tutoring” in lower level content - while still gaining xp/gear for their actual level…

So I just logged in and created a character (I guess they deleted my very old one). I joined Crickhollow (as it was recommended) and created an Elven Hunter because Legolas is the shit. Did a few quests and so far am digging it. It’s fairly archaic in a lot of ways (ESO’s combat feels much more hands on, for example), but the world seemed nicely realized, and one I could get lost in if I allowed myself.

So here’s a kick in the ass… I don’t remember my username, and there doesn’t appear to be any way to recover that.

Oh well… I have enough in my backlog to keep me busy anyways.

http://support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24047/Article/4040/Username-FAQs-I-ve-forgotten-my-Username

and

https://myaccount.turbine.com/forgot_username.php

So I logged in and found that my old level 7 elf hunter was still there, but the server he was on no longer exists, so I transfered him to Argentine. Having fun so far. Are they really gonna shut this down next year?

I wouldn’t doubt it. It’s been running #aVeryLongTime. I need to log back in and see if I can make it to Mordor at least.

This is a rumor based on the fact that the license with the Tolkien estate expires at end of next year, fueled by recent layoffs at Turbine. So, a rumor that is grounded in reality, but a rumor nonetheless.

Thanks, Tyler. That second link helped. Updating and patching now!

You probably don’t remember but you back in '06 or '07 you got me a referral so I could get founder’s pricing for a lifetime sub. So, again, thanks!

So I played about 2 hours of this last night, and had a great time. I really liked how streamlined many things were, like loot and quests.

But I couldn’t stand the map. Oh god, I almost quit the game because OH GOD SO UGLY AND USELESS.

So I’ll keep playing I think, but I’m only level 8. likely not gonna need any of the expansions any time soon (unless I’m wrong) because I’ll be bouncing between this and ESO, and I don’t level super quickly in that either.

But yay for this sale in bringing me back. It’s a lovely world that I wanna spend more time in.

Ah yes. Glad you took advantage of it. One of the dumber things I’ve ever done - or not done - was letting that lifetime sub opportunity go away without taking advantage. I figure it cost me $750-1000 more over the years I paid for the monthly sub.

Yea, Lifetime I got when the game was released (or pre-order I think…), best gaming decision I’ve made.

[quote=“BrianRubin, post:2991, topic:59553, full:true”]
So I played about 2 hours of this last night, and had a great time. I really liked how streamlined many things were, like loot and quests.

But I couldn’t stand the map. Oh god, I almost quit the game because OH GOD SO UGLY AND USELESS. [/quote]

Awesome, glad you are enjoying your return to Middle Earth! And yes, the map is quite useless in the general sense when compared to the maps we’re used to now. It’s pretty much impossible to use the map to plot a route (unless you stick to roads) as the landscape is not properly represented and what looks like a clear path might be blocked by unclimbable hills or impenetrable forest.

It does come in very handy though when you need to know where in a zone to find the quest NPC or where to kill critters or obtain items for an active quest, as it color codes those areas and puts little ring icons on the map for NPC locations. Also as you discover things like fast travel locations and campfires it adds them, which is also very helpful. Still, it’s always been more style than substance.

I’ve run into my first frustration since my return to the game. In my quest to bid farewell to Middle Earth, I’m trying to “complete” each zone, closing the doors on it forever as I do so. To me, this means finishing out any remaining quests I already had open (in old zones that have gone grey) or taking on all quests that give XP in zones more level appropriate. It also means completing all deeds that it is possible for me to complete within a zone AND getting to Kindred reputation status with the zone’s faction (if there is one).

My frustration : The Eglain. These anti-social bastards of the Lone Lands not only have no reputation items to help speed things along (all rep is earned by regular quests, repeatable tasks and limited repeatable collection quests), but to complete the deeds for Lone Lands REQUIRES a run through Garth Agarwen, a trio of instance dungeons that require a fellowship (or 30+ levels above content) to complete. I’d be fine with this if the deeds in question were simply Garth Agarwen deeds, but no, the main Explorer deed requires sites in the instances, and you can’t finish the overall zone deed without the Explorer deed. Bah! Luckily I have a couple of very old friends (ex-guildmates from way back) who are also on Arkenstone and willing to give me a hand some evening soon to polish off GA and my Lone Lands deeds.

I know I’m being way too OCD, but knocking out the lists is a big part of the fun for me. Thankfully, thus far this is the only example of forced grouping required that I’ve run into since my return. They made the whole rest of the game solo friendly, but I think they simply forgot about GA.

Ran into my first real issue with LOTRO since returning for the farewell tour and it’s very frustrating.

Part of last week’s sale was additional inventory space. You could spend 260TP and gain +5 bag spaces. The way this works is you purchase the “+5 Inventory” item in the store, and it applies to ALL characters on your account so that when you login in next time and go into Edit Mode in your bags, you can assign the +5 spaces wherever you like.

So I buy the item, see the confirmation message that it’s purchased, login, open my inventory and…nothing. My TP balance shows as 260TP less than before, so the store knows I bought the upgrade, and I have the confirmation mail saying I bought the upgrade, but I have no upgrade. I email Turbine Support, get the automated response, and logout.

Two days later I login and see that my TP balance is back to what is was pre-purchase. No email from Turbine Support, no indication that they recognized the issue, just a refund on the TP. So I decide maybe the problem was that I wasn’t adding the item while logged in, so I get online with my main character, open my inventory, hit the little STORE icon in the toolbar in the first bag slot, purchase the +5 item again, get email and onscreen confirmation that my purchase was successful and…still nothing. I send another email to support detailing the issue and asking if I could just please have the bag space this time instead of a refund, especially since after yesterday the +5 Inventory is no longer on sale.

24 hours later and there has been no response from Turbine. No refund to my TP, no additional inventory, no email other than the autoresponse sent when I filed the request. I am beginning to wonder if Turbine laid off ALL the customer support people. Regardless, I am surprised and a little angry that trying to do something as simple as adding bag space to my account has become so difficult. Microtransactions are the lifeblood of this game, and they’re fucking it up right now, at least with me.

not all…but most.

UPDATE : As of yesterday I’ve been corresponding with a Turbine customer service rep (SpectraVortex). He/She refunded my TP for the two failed attempts to purchase the inventory upgrades, then we talked about what might be behind the issue and settled on the possibility that because my account predates F2P and is a mix of retail boxed (from way back) and digital purchases, the system may not recognize that I already have some inventory upgrades granted “free” as a Premium player from before F2P (and thus is “unlocking” space I already have unlocked when I make the purchase).

The solution we’re going to try is that my account will be made VIP for 24 hours, which should unlock all the relevant bits for a subscriber, then once the VIP day ends the account should revert to Premium with the relevant bits still unlocked, hopefully making things like inventory slots and bank space “activatable” once more. Seems like that should work, but even if it doesn’t I am happy that they’re at least trying to resolve my issue, especially since I suspect there are very few actual CSR’s left at Turbine and their time is likely spread pretty thin.

UPDATE UPDATE : The 24 hours of VIP did the trick. As suspected, there must have been a flag or bit somewhere in the system that was turned off, thereby denying the appearance of the purchased inventory slots. Once the account was made VIP, all 10 slots showed up immediately, and after the 24 hours the slots stayed in place, and new slots I purchase should be added normally.

As a nice bonus, even though the TP were refunded, I got to keep the extra inventory slots anyway. The 24 hours of VIP were nice too. I used it to open up a bunch of quests and deeds in Forochel, the one zone quest pack I still do not own. I will probably buy it the next time it goes on discount now just so I can finish those questlines and all the deeds (and faction). The VIP XP boost was very nice as well.

So it’s back to my farewell tour now. Probably going to hit Misty Mountains and start the quests around Goblin Town.

Finally. Mordor.

[quote]
March of the King is scheduled to be released on Monday, October 17th, bringing with it a new book in the epic story that will take players up to the doorstep of Mordor itself, not to mention the option to move into a new premium housing neighborhood.

Speaking of Mordor, on a lengthy developer livestream the team indicated that the region would be released next year in an expansion pack some time after the game’s 10th anniversary in April.[/quote]

Does that mean the game will continue for a while, y’all think?