LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Anything else I should know going into this as a beginner?

It’s really casual, just have fun.

Okay, I’m on Arkenstone as Cosimawyn. Went with a human Minstrel. Just poked around for a few minutes, but I’ll probably sink some more time in over the weekend!

Yay, welcome! I hope to see you around. I just hit level 10 on my minstrel tonight. So. Fun.

I’ve added all the recent new and returned players to my friends list. Feel free to message me when you’re on. For new characters, I can craft light, medium and heavy armor pieces that are nicer than what is generally given as quest rewards. I’m Slainte on Arkenstone, 48th level Champion, or sometimes I’m on as my 21st level Hunter, Ariondel.

@BrianRubin , sorry to bail on you abruptly last night. I was in Rivendell, trying to zone into Elrond’s house, and the game kept crashing on me. Guess I’m no longer on Elrond’s guest list!

Apparently a lot of folks were having travel troubles last night.

I just added everyone who gave a name in the last 10 days or so onto my friends list. If you want to add mine it’s Demorve. If you don’t want to be my friend then let me know and I’ll unfriend you and then go to the nearest corner and cry. ;D

Easiest class to play is the champion. Not much nuance, just hitting things hard before they kill you instead. There’s a lot of combat in this game and killing stuff quickly is a boon.

Yea, Champion is sweet for a more relaxed romp into ME.

I believe the class pages show a little text blurb about the difficulty of playing the class? I.e. how many keybinds and timers you need to consider, as well as positions and whatnot.

I had the most fun with my burglar when I was in a 6 man group that we played with very often, and we’d do random conjunctions(?) based on what the first person picked. They made it easier since where you could show a pre-determined one to press, but back in the launch days it was “experiment” :P

Alternatively, you can pick HUNTER since they get free “teleports” to many places. I believe the Captain can make horns that lets other summon you to them? Or maybe that is the champion.

Warden is a great class, both for DPS and Healing. The dps version is basically a kung fu guy with fireballs… Well, I sort of got that impression when I did a 3 man “event” with one and he’d just run around throwing lighting and whatnot. Looked fun.

Wardens don’t throw lightning - That would be the Rune-Keepers. Wardens are warriors with a large shield, self-healing, and a spear for both stabbing and throwing, and can REALLY take a beating.

Runekeepers are basically wizards with a special power that you can move between to extremes to get either better healing or DPS.

Sorry yes, Runekeeper!

Warden is a good tank/dps with self-heal though :-) Bit more “complex” (not the right word) to play. You basically perform a bunch of actions in a sequence to enact a special “effect” which could be self heal, dot, strong attack, shield and whatnot.

Hey look, a Video I made of Warden ages ago: (Before Geforce Experience 3 came out and sucked the life out of videocapture).

The screaming DOES get old… very fast.

Whoa…whoa!!! Easy?! Not much nuance?! I will have you know sir that my Champion is a finely tuned killing machine that takes the utmost in concentration, timing and attention to detail to successfully…oh who am I kidding, he’s like a coked up monkey with swords. I push buttons, stuff dies, I loot their stuff and move on. Champions are the best way to relax and enjoy churning through LOTRO content.

Wardens and Hunters are also fantastic solo classes, though honestly they’ve made the game solo friendly for every class at this point, it’s just that some require less micro-management than others. Each class itself also has three skill trees you can choose to develop. Your choice of skill line helps make one Warden or Champion or Rune Keeper a little different from another. In the end though it’s very difficult to completely gimp yourself if you’re paying any attention at all to character development.

If we get enough people coming back to play, even if it’s only a night here or there, we could form a QT3 guild on Arkenstone. At the very least it makes communication between everyone easier.

I came back to this after not playing since about 2 months after release (had lifetime membership), I have 47,000 gold foozle coins…not sure exactly what to do with that…

After coming back, I felt almost immediately like I did when I left…i.e., the world is great, the story is great, but the moment to moment combat is pretty tedious.

I have most of my characters and gold on Landroval, but I’m pretty sure I have an old level 25-ish Warden on Arkenstone that I wouldn’t mind going back to. If anyone wants to actually group up now and then that would be excellent as I’m not sure I’ve done much group content past Barrows and Garth Whatever-wen in the Lone Lands.

I’m not sure why, but so far I really love the combat. It’s hands off enough that the entire experience of playing is fairly relaxing.

I’ve got a lifetime sub but haven’t played very much since a few months after Moria, so don’t know how much the classes have changed, but captain + minstrel + warden used to be all kinds of shout-y fun.

Hmm. I’d think it depends a bit on the classes you played. Before the skill revamp I guess you had a lot more abilities available to you (Used to have 4 actionbars of stuff I could use, now I guess i’m down to 2-3 ) but still, there are some classes with more “options” available than others I’d think. If you want a lot of footwork and the option of doing conjunctions, you cant go wrong with a Burglar :-)

Champ is also the best because the yellow line gives you ludicrous amounts of AoE. With almost every class in LoTRo i found that everything was fine until I got caught in a crowd. Never a problem with Champ.

This is also not a problem with Warden, but that’s a more complicated thing which you either like or you don’t. The nice thing about Warden is it’s the most interesting / non-boring-mmo-like. Warden is basically “Street Fighter, the MMO.”

Moved all my toons to Arkenstone. My mini is named Sesuadra, hunter is Trestolt, and I ended up with some ~1 and ~2s on my other toons. Probably be on with Sesuadra the most, she’s my only level 100 toon.

Went ahead and moved my mains (Mossabal the mini, Thrikka the Runekeeper and Cruciferae the Champion…also have Armblessed the Warden) to Arkenstone before the free transfer tokens expire at the end of the year. Added everyone in the list to my friends list.

Also, Thrikka is still guild leader of the old “Knights of Quarter to Three” kinship from the old Nimrodel days, if anyone needs a kin and would like an invite. Apparently kinships transfer servers with the leader…who knew?