LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Why would one want to disable leveling?

It’s necessary only if you want to keep the game challenging. Mainly if you want to do all of the content, and especially if you’re VIP and therefore get the added XP every day. Otherwise you’ll out-level every zone quickly. Maybe it’s not an issue at low levels…I don’t recall since I played those levels years ago before they made leveling faster.

It’s the “Stone of the Tortoise” in the store…it’s cheap.

[edit] … now I see they just call it what it is…“Experience Disabler” in the store.
Note that it still lets you gain LI and steed experience.

Oh I dooooooooooo want to experience all the content! Right now my highest level character is 25, and once I’m done Yule I’m gonna finish the Lone-Lands, so I might actually give this thing a try. Thanks!

Damnit, this game has its hooks back in me like it hasn’t for years. Took my 71 hobbit burg, Pilfer Dibs, to 80th over the last week, parking her in Rohan tonight with a full set of Hytbold armor waiting for when she dings 85. Amazingly fun class to play, though the thought of going through east and west Rohan again might stall me out (done it so far with my mini, hunter, rk, warden, and champ).

I have never found going back and doing lower level stuff with a higher-level char to be ‘problematic’. And in my experience it’s much more frequent to be saying “Jesus, i am STILL IN ROHAN? WHEN WILL IT END?” So i have never wanted the stone of the tortoise. Put another way, if your HIGHEST character is 25, i’d save the stone for an alt.

but YMMV.

So I went ahead and bought all 3 Skimish Packs while they were 75% off in the LOTRO Market. (NOTE : For those players who may want to pick up Moria, Rohan or any other expansion, they’re all 75% off through Jan 2nd). I figured the least I could do was toss $16 at Standing Stone Studios to support their efforts to keep LOTRO marching onwards to Mordor.

The descriptions for the Skirmish Packs were correct, they do indeed come with 4 codes each to unlock the content. I’ve already given one set away, so I have 2 extra sets of codes I’d like to give away to current players in this thread. The codes will unlock all 8 store-bought skirmishes and 2 additional instances.

If you are currently a VIP subscriber (both monthly and Lifetime) you already have this content. Only players who are “Freemium” (F2P/former subscribers/etc.) and have not purchased the skirmishes through the LOTRO Store are eligible to use these codes. So if that’s you, and you’re currently playing LOTRO and would be interested in owning all the skirmishes*, let me know!

• What are skirmishes? Skirmishes are instances you can join from anywhere at any time. They scale in level, so they’re always a nice challenge for you, and they can be done as solo instances or with groups for more challenging runs. They reward players with faction reputation, legendary item experience, cash loot, and special rewards called marks, medallions and seals which can be exchanged at skirmish camps for all sorts of useful things from equipment to crafting components and recipes to cosmetics and more.

Skirmishes are Great!

Skirms are fun in fellies, kind of boring to solo IMO.

You’re never alone with your NPC soldier :-)

But yea, better in groups. The matchmaking in LOTRO improved a lot since the beginning, but they could still get some inspiration from Rift etc I think, to encourage players to do it more with randoms/lowbies.

Hey, my Kinship seems pretty dead of late, how do I join the Qt3 Kinship?

I believe I can invite folks. I think I have some of your characters in my friends list. I’ll keep an eye out, or you can ping me if you see me on - I’ll probably be playing “Leftfoot”.

Any officer in the kinship can toss an invite your way next time you’re online. If you see me online let me know and I’ll toss an invite your way!

Is anyone else worried about Daybreak Games shutting down all these MMOs recently?
I sincerely hope they don’t turn their gaze to LOTRO or (even more worryingly) DDO.

Daybreak is fine. They own and operate H1Z1 : King of the Kill, which was among the Top 50 grossing Steam games of 2016, so they’re making plenty of money for now. They also still wholly own and operate EQ1 and EQ2, both of which have steady subscription income (though obviously nothing like in their heydays). They shut down Landmark because it had few people playing and almost nobody spending actual money on it.

They also don’t own or call the shots for LOTRO or DDO, they simply act as publisher for Standing Stone, just as Warner Brothers acted as publisher for Turbine. Supposedly they’re not even hosting the servers for the games, those are still at the Turbine/Standing Stone facility. Since Daybreak knew what kind of numbers DDO and LOTRO would be bringing to the table, I would say both games are fairly safe for awhile so long as those numbers remain fairly constant ,and I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

I guess people might be worried about Daybreak having anything to do with LOTRO and thus, deciding not to spend any more money on the title.

Possibly, but without Daybreak both DDO and LOTRO would be closing at the end of the month. Warner Brothers, which owns Turbine, wanted them out of the MMO business to focus on mobile gaming. My understanding is that Turbine employees that worked on both games literally put together the proposal to buy both MMOs from WB/Turbine at the 11th hour, and Daybreak was likely their only option on short notice.

Standing Stone at least has time now to explore alternatives if the relationship with Daybreak should sour or prove difficult.

Cross post from the Landmark Thread

It looks like Landmark only had about 150 players logging in during prime time on any given night. Since the game was B2P, not subscription, it seems like the decision by Daybreak to finally shut it down was an economically sound one that was long overdue. Doesn’t seem like it would have any impact on games like EQ/EQ2, LOTRO and DDO that have stable and steady subscriber and micro-transaction income.

I hate “mobile” gaming.

I’m obviously not in their demographic, but I haven’t been in the gaming demographic for years. Shallow games on tiny screens with micropayments…ugh. Even my teenaged kids don’t like them.

Only Steam and GoG are left. A lot of crap there, but a lot of diamonds too (mostly older stuff).

LOTRO was a great game, and still is, changes over the years notwithstanding (some good and some bad). I wish SSG the best of luck. I’ll continue to throw my $100/year into a VIP account, and maybe a few more $$ for extras, and hope that is enough.

Hey friends, don’t forget that if you’re a VIP, you can log in between now and March 13th to get a account-wide mount and riding skills!

https://www.lotro.com/en/vipgift

Glad you linked that, Brian. I was logged on last night and checked my horsies in my skills > mounts tab and didn’t see anything new. Didn’t realize it was a cosmetic for the war mounts.