LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

I don’t think Moria is the best. I think the Isengard instances are my favorite. Sneaking around orcs during their deforestation of Fangorn, that one with the rampaging troll, and even though it is goofy as hell, fighting Saruman on top of Orthanc. The Epic quest stuff was good too.

I want some goofy fights. Especially if dramatic and solo-able. My impression is the “big battles” or whatnot make that harder to see. Do you mean 6-man instances or raids?

ps it is 6 isn’t it in lotro? My point is – SOME of that instanced content isn’t so easy to jump into. Solo-wise, for sure.

Yeah those instances are either 3, 6 or 12 man raid at level so it is not really meant to be solo-able unfortunately.

Thanks for all the advice and input gang!

Over the past few sessions I have accomplished quite a bit. I popped over to Eregion and started the Volume 2 : Book 1 quest line that results in obtaining your first Legendary weapon. Sadly, that happens at Chapter 10, so I had some questing and running about in the Moria Expedition region to do first. It made me laugh that here I am this Level 52 Champion, known throughout Eriador and welcomed by all factions as kindred thanks to my exploits, and I’m reduced to running sack lunches to self-important dwarves and fetching sticks and stones for them from the riverbed. Not exactly an “epic” beginning to the Moria saga…

In any event, I finished up the menial tasks, knocked out all the Expedition side quests (since they gave XP and would disappear once Moria was opened) and then did the Moria history instance and the Watcher instance. I raced back over to Rivendell to complete the chapters that helped configure my Legendary weapon for use, and am now swinging a legendary blade. As a bonus, one of the other quests in the Moria Expedition gave me a separate sword as a reward that was just a little better than anything I already owned (aside from the legendary), so I got a nice off-hand weapon upgrade out of it as well.

While in Rivendell I started and finished the Volume 2 Prologue, where you assist the Fellowship and see them off from Rivendell. I remember doing that the first time years ago, and how powerful the scene was as a life long fan of the books and movies. It was still pretty awesome the second time around.

So now I am all set with a Legendary weapon, but it needs a few levels on it before I can go back and help the self-important dwarves (well, the ones that didn’t get eaten anyway) open up Moria. Next up is finishing Volume I in Angmar, along with my outstanding Angmar quests. That ought to put enough XP into my blade, and if it doesn’t, there are always Eregion quests to be done.

I don’t think Angmar quests will give you LI experience…that only starts later.

I thought anything I kill that gives me experience also gives my LI experience? Some of the stuff in Angmar is still green/light blue/blue to me at 53, so while the actual quest turn-ins won’t do anything for my LI, killing all the critters I need to get them done should…I assume?

I believe you are correct.

Yup, played some last night and the green/blue Angmarim and Hillmen I killed (which granted were few in number, most were gray now) gave me LI experience, so my sword is now Level 3 (of the 10 needed to advance the quest).

It would certainly go faster if I killed things in Eregion instead, but I really want to finish up the Volume I storyline and the unfinished quests I have in Angmar so I can feel like I’ve “finished” the zone and move on.

The first time I did Angmar, way back in 2009 I believe, I absolutely hated it. So many quests in so many areas that were dark, dreary and dealt with nasty critters in confined areas where it seemed easy to get overwhelmed or where you needed to re-clear all the things you’d killed on the way in on your way back out again. This time I am actually enjoying it more. I don’t think a while lot has changed really, but I think it’s more that I’m not in a rush to hit 50+ and move on to Moria this time, so I’m paying more attention to my surroundings, reading the full text of all the conversations with NPCs, and really absorbing the lore and the atmosphere more. It’s still dreary as all get out, and there are still some areas where it becomes a little tedious, but I’m enjoying it more by taking it at a more relaxed pace. Outleveling some of the trash mobs helps considerably as well, as travel is not a constant slog of aggro and delay.

The LOTRO 10th Anniversary Celebration begins this month!

Starting now there will be various LOTRO streamers appearing in the LOTRO Twitch Stream leading up to April 25th when Community Manager “Cordovan” will host a 12-hour streaming event featuring dev chats, gameplay, giveaways and more.

All month long there will be images, memories and more shared through the LOTRO Facebook and Twitter accounts.

On April 20th the party kicks off with the 10th Anniversary Event featuring expanded fireworks, quests and events.

Beginning April 20th and running through July 13th, a 10th Anniversary Scavenger Hunt will bring 3 new quests per week. Each quest takes players back to places they’ve been and memories they’ve shared, and features cool rewards in the process. To begin these quests see Waldo Rumble at the Party Tree in Hobbiton (on 4/20 or after).

10 years!

I have been distracted by GR Wildlands, recently, but am still determined to see Gondor. That said I need to get my hunter into the guild, and never seem to be on when you are about. Damn you timezones!

Oh man, I gotta get in on all of this.

[quote=“Belisarius, post:3210, topic:59553, full:true”]That said I need to get my hunter into the guild, and never seem to be on when you are about. Damn you timezones!
[/quote]

I am on most nights between 10:00-11:00 EST, sometimes a bit earlier. I’m very erratic on weekends. There are a couple of other active guild members that are often on earlier than I am, in the 7:00PM-9:00PM EST range, if that helps. What is your Hunter’s name? I’ll keep an eye out for him/her.

Thanks… I will stay up late one night.

Hunters name is Talnadir.

And as soon as I ask the question, the problem is solved. Thanks Charmtrap!

10 years since the game launched? Wow. Where the hell did that decade go?

You know, when you’re younger you can’t wait for the years to go by, until you’re an adult, independent, able to do what you want when you want without asking for permission. As the years go by you start wishing there was a magic brake that would slow time’s passage, because there are fewer and fewer of those years you frittered away left to enjoy.

–Grandpa John

Man, 10 years. I preordered this game! I’m going to have to re-download it and take it for a spin, it’s been at least 8 years since I’ve had it installed.

8 years? Wow. You’re in for a lot of changes :-)

Do use ReShade / SweetFX with this game, makes it look better.

Wait what? Could you elaborate?

Normal LOTRO:

ReShade configuration I use:

So mostly a lot more sharpening and more ‘vibrant’ colours I guess :)

Ohhh, how does one implement this?