LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

WAAAT! Its out finally?

Woho!.. Back to Rohan!

“Its a 64-bit client!”

Wow, time to resub I think.

No sub required these days, no?

Unless you’re a former subscriber, free is pretty brutal.

Some major changes in this patch:
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?673104-Update-24-Release-Notes

• The Virtue system has been updated. The system now advances through Virtue Experience, allowing you to select the Virtue that will benefit from your Deed completions. Open the Traits Panel with (J) to navigate to the redesigned Virtues tab to examine your Virtues, select an earning Virtue, and slot any Virtues you would like active.

• Update 24 brings you to the Vales of Anduin, where the Great River courses down through Wilderland to the shores of Lothlórien. Help the Woodmen defend their lands from the goblins and wargs of the Misty Mountains

Man, this runs so much better now. Biggest shame is that we didn’t get this sooner. (all those x64 naysayers, boo, hiss…- tho they could’ve probably ran better before as well…)

Even looks nice without Reshade, but very ‘blurry’.

Say what you will about the graphics in LOTRO, some of the skylines are really well done.

After about 4 hours the game was using 3.2GiB.

So I reinstalled the game and loaded up my primary elven archer dude. Wow, the 64 bit client is super smooth. They must’ve made a lot of changed since I last played a year or so ago as my skill bar was missing like, four skills.

Gonna play some today and see if it reclicks with me.

Yup, it reclicked. I just had to respec for some reason, but of course went down the blue line. It all came back to me. What fun! Subbed for three months, if I keep my job, I’ll likely do a year.

I am a lifetime subscriber who uninstalled quite a while ago. I guess I should give it another go.

Yes, you should resubscribe :)

Streaming some now with the x64 client, had to reinstall reshade to get it working again.

Trying to tie up the ‘black book’ so I can finally get allegiance quests.

Have to say that I turn off combat music. It was one of the first things I did when I started playing 12 years ago. I do it in every game when it’s an option. Watching your stream validates my choice IMO. I know you can turn its volume down, but I don’t want it at all.

Just not my thing. It takes me out of the situation and is a distraction.

Glad that reshade is working for you w/ the new client.

Allegiance quests are pretty cool.

What is this reshade thing?

I jumped back into this after … 10 years? The new client is great. The game is super polished. The graphics are actually pretty good! I dragged a few more friends in with me (the crew who played Conan). Our goal: enter Moria at the same time and experience it as a team. Let’s see if we make it!

Thanks for all of the tips and advice in this thread. :-)

The true test…Minas Tirith. Anyone go through there for a extended period without crashing?

Haven’t tried to go there after x64, but I usually ended up crashing when zoning into it in the old days. Should be interesting to try.

I only had ONE stutter in Bree you guys. ONE.

Yes. It works.
Maximum graphics settings and as I noted above, I rode and ported in and out, up and down, round and round. About 45 minutes total so far.

Before I had to dumb down to DX9 and average settings, and even then there were problems. I didn’t have any problems this time.

[edit] - I have also been doing some mounted combat on a lvl 85 character. Seems to be much smoother, but I only have about an hour doing that.

Minas Tirith and Osgiliath, still not great for me. Base FPS is better, I think, but they’re still kind of stuttery.

I guess my frame of reference is “does it crash”. Which it always did in those areas for me within 10 minutes or so unless I neutered my graphics. Now it seems like it doesn’t, even on high graphic settings.

Stutters I can live with, though I haven’t encountered many. Fewer than before for me.

I haven’t been able to play much in the last few days, so I hope that my initial impressions stick. After the update I mainly ran to those areas that gave me the most trouble in the past to check out improvements, if any.

So I returned to the Shire for the first time in a while, to check out the Summer festival. First off holy crap it runs so much better than the last time I visited, thanks to the 64-bit client, but I’d almost forgotten how fucking PRETTY the Shire is.