LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Didn’t Epic Battles sort of kill the lotro jewelry industry? Basically you get really nice level scaling jewelry from completing Epic Battles. (Helms Deep, Pelargir, Minas Tirith)

I think most people just run Pelargir daily for the rewards. Seems to be the most popular one.

Good point.

I hate Epic Battles, so I did only the minimum needed to get through the epic quest line (on 2 characters so far). I know you can play them starting at lvl 10, and get scaled up during the instance, but did not (and still don’t) want to play them until I reach that point in the story line. But that is indeed an option for @SlainteMhath if he wants to take a detour from Mirkwood.

[edit] - Though I believe you have to have purchased the Helm’s Deep expansion

Epic Battles are pretty terrible when you have no promotion points. They are a little better when you are a max ranked Engineer. But yeah, generally they are not well liked.

Yea, best bet is to get into the Pela 100+ runs to get some points. Once you got a few promotion points the epic battles are much more manageable, but still a bit of a chore to do solo for many classes.

The new expansion is out now, and seems pretty nice. The preorder “resource” bag saved up quite a lot of inventory slots for me… Just a shame they didn’t go full GuildWars2 and have a “Shared Inventory bag” that would be cross-characters. Still, +50 slots is better than nothing.

Some of the new zones have really visually stunning vistas.

I also liked this quest that put you up top of a mountain overlooking Minas Tirith.

I bought the expansion like I always have…long before I get to the new region. That crafting bag is indeed handy.
I’m impressed with what they’re managing to do with what I assume is a skeleton staff now. And it continues to look good . I don’t care much for the push to the store, but I understand why it’s necessary… most of that I can ignore.

I really, really need to get back into this game. It bounces off me every time I play, but it could just be Moria. Which is a shame, since it’s one of my favorite areas in the books.

I feel you my friend. I absolutely loved LOTRO for years after release, until I got bogged down in Moria. I even attempted to start over with another character/class, spent another year or more loving the Shadows of Angmar content all over again (so much so that I finished every quest and deed it was possible for me to finish), then hit Moria and within weeks I had lost my interest in playing again.

About a year or so ago I gave it another shot, vowing to power through Moria this time. Turns out many of the changes made over the past few years have made Moria both easier to navigate and more interesting to explore. It took me several months of off and on play, but I finally, for the first time in 11 years, have a character that has finished Moria and is beyond it in Lothlorien/Mirkwood now. It’s well worth the effort.

Moria was my favourite location in LOTRO.
Mordor, not so much… at least until I can get a flying fellbeast.

Biggest issue right now is that so many quests have me go from a quest ‘terminal’ to a point on the map far away from any horse-route… then continue to the next zone, then BACK to the middle spot, before the quest terminal.

I think I’ll have to ‘cave’ and buy another recall point (have 4 already) just so I can navigate this easier…

Or I could be better organized and use some of the other 4 I already have… “in case”

Suppose this would also be of help:
https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info757-StableGuy.html
or:
https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info524-Travellocationsreference.html

One of those sugoi right-in-the-feels gaming moments when your ass gets out of Moria and into Lothlorien for the first time. Like that first pop out of Patrick Stewart’s sewers in Oblivion.

I mean, if you’re moving into Loth, you’ve basically beat most or all of LOTRO’s classic content. That is a fuckton of grinding in Angmar and Moria, yo

I’m jealous because I can’t even get to Moria. I bought a lifetime VIP at release and periodically hop back in but can never get a character past the 20’s because something else shiny pulls me away. One these days I just need to uninstall all other games and focus on LOTRO until I can’t stand it any longer.

Word. When I emerged onto those steps outside the the First Hall and saw sunlight, trees and the river, and thought “holy shit, I am really on the other side of Moria!” it was a feeling of accomplishment like I haven’t experienced in an MMORPG since the days of multi-group raids in old Everquest. I walked around happy in real life for a week or more afterwards. I’m still smiling right now just thinking about it.

I need to get back to Lothlorien and Mirkwood, as I was enjoying them a lot. I started Divinity : Original Sin though, and then got sidetracked by replaying XCOM : Enemy Within…and now I’ve got too many active games and not enough time again.

I am about half-way in, I think. In my mid-50s.

I just resigned up. Played some STO and SWG lately, and the entire time I played them I was like, “I’d rather be playing LOTRO.”

It is very much possible to avoid Angmar completely now. I did so on my Warden. After finishing Evendim and getting to lvl 40, I did Misty Mountain + other stuff and just went to Eregion around lvl 45.

The early 40’s normally split you between Misty Mountains, Forochel, and Angmar, but hopping on the Eregion express to Moria as early as possible is the way to go IMO.

You guys are killing me. I love Lotro! Sigh what’s the plan with that game? Are they moving forward?

I’ve got a 60 guardian somewhere. Some of my best gaming moments in that game.

They just released another expansion!

They’re mortally wounding me as well. I have a 60-something Captain in Moria and I love LotRO. But then I recall that y’all are on a different server and think “dodged that bullet” :-D (I believe I’m on Gladden.)

So. Wait. My level 41 hunter is in Angmar right now doing quests. Should I somehow skip it all?

Not if you are enjoying it.

Some people hate questing in Angmar. Something about depressing atmosphere but I think it has more to do with the limited fast travel routes. There are only 3 and they are all along the far edges of the map. If you’ve never done the zone before it is probably worth doing at least once as it is the original end game area when the game was first released, but I did skip it on alts because it is kind of a pain to move around such a vast area without reliable fast travel points. In other words, time management. I want to fly to Moria as fast as possible and doing Angmar is slow.

Ah got it, it’s my first time through all the content so I’ll keep going. Thank you!