LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

This had to have been an unfortunate coincidence

You would hope that they would grant you at least a few days more given that this has lasted a week…

I bet you a crisp shiny dollar that they’ll announce something to that effect soon.

So I was able to get in, yay! And I got the quest thing to to Minas Tirith. Wow it’s beautiful here.

Gorgeous.

The “Summer Theme” variations of some of the LOTRO sounds was a nice touch to the Wedding event.

So your first time in Minas Tirith?

There are now three versions of Minas Tirith (technically 4 but one is only a single quest instance)

Pre-battle Minas Tirith.
After-battle Minas Tirith.
And now Summer Wedding Minas Tirith.

Well so far the furthest I’ve gotten is the Misty Mountains, so this is all new to me. :)

Yeah I love these too, hopefully they’re part of another soundtrack compilation.

This is just one part of the game I don’t get after 13 years. I mentioned it years ago in this thread, but I turned off ambient music after a short time in the Shire long ago. I don’t want a sound track, it reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles. In movies it sets the tone, but in games it’s just distracting to me because I’m the main participant and it takes me out of the moment. I turn it on when I’m in my houses where I have Bombadil’s Theme running because that’s a great jig while I’m futzing with my inventory and house items.

I’ve turned off music in all games I’ve played, except PST way back.

I did try the Rohan music while I was in that area, but I didn’t care for the dramatic heavy orchestra stuff…I just liked the sound of my horse’s hoofs pounding on the dirt. And the cries of my defeated opponents :).

So I’m apparently missing the appreciation for the music updates during the midsummer festival. That’s OK, and I feel like I’m even missing something that other long-time players recognize. Makes me a little bit sad

Glad to see the outage ended well. That was pretty, uh, concerning for a while.

Yeah, that’s all stuff I went through fairly early in the troubleshooting process. Multiple reinstalls, repairs, trying different servers, different characters, new characters, existing characters, different graphics settings, different compatibility modes, different launch options. Literally hours of troubleshooting and Googling and without fail, just a blackscreen after character select. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get into the game world.

I could contact QA again and start the process of waiting three months for them to respond. But at this point, Lord of the Rings Online has burned too much goodwill with me.

-Tom

Your character must be wearing a particular hat…

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

(But I bet you’re right that it’s something like that…)

-Tom

Tom,

One last try, I found this a year ago on an obscure site and it worked for me on a new W10 PC after a week of mucking around.

I ran this program, and then the DX9 stuff installed just fine, and LOTRO runs:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot…install/repair

Whole thread (I’m Occum):

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?673662-Clean-Install-Won-t-Start

Nope, afraid not. I ran it and tried a couple different characters on a couple of different servers, but no luck. As usual, I always hang on the splash screen after pressing Enter Middle Earth, with no progress on the loading bar.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

-Tom

So just died when my character suddenly got a 99% packet loss to the game server (everything else on the internet and underweb is probably accessible at the same time, just not lotro). Latency also spiked from 120ms (which is bad, but not unplayable) to 1000+.

Wish they’d fix this soon and give a rundown (as serious companies do) about what they managed to fuck up.

@tomchick sorry if I missed this but have you tried logging into your account from a different computer entirely? That would help nail down whether it’s the computer itself or your account this is causing the problem.

I have a lifetime sub to this and return to it every couple of years, dip into it, eventually get bored and then uninstall. It is like eating green beans. I like green beans, I will never turn them away. But they are not exciting in the slightest. Last night I did a Moria instance that had me running through an enormous hall to talk to a king, who then sent me to the other end of the hall to talk to someone else, who then sent me back to the king… you get the idea. I thought, ‘why am I doing this?’ My main is a level 51 ranger guy.

I will only solo, I suck too much to play in groups. So tell me – where’s the exciting stuff? Should I just play around with different builds etc.