LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

Hunter is probably the easiest class to play.

I’ve played a lot of Hunter and Warden and Burglar.

-Hunter is both amongst the easier to play and has the most travel skills. Furthermore the hunters travel skills is an embarrassment of riches when most classes have zero and only get them via reputation reward vendors which almost always requires max rep: Kindred.
-Warden is the only other class with travel skills but they are much harder to play well and they still have less travel skills than the Hunter. Warden is amongst the only class that can complete lots of small fellowship content handily solo.
-Burglar is the only class that has a viable alternative play style: easily bypass large swaths of combat just by stealth making a lot of very dangerous areas much easier/quicker to get through at the cost of combat XP.

Thanks, looks like I need to try out several ones. Hunter sounds nice but probably needs a lot.of kiting? Warden really looks cool too.

I’ve only played a Hunter and a Minstrel god they’re both fun.

Of all the classes I’ve played over the years, Champion has proven to be my favorite. If you choose the proper specializations you become a ridiculous damage tornado of whirling blades that can take down multiple targets at once. Alongside Hunter it’s probably the easiest of classes to solo with.

Huge Warden fan here. Love the ability to change focus and do “combos” while fighting. Always keeps you in the fight.

Instead of click, 1,2,3,5,7,9 repeat till dead.

Sadly Warden is paid and I don’t really want to spend and money yet. Tried Hunter but the shooting is meh. I always prefer melee. I had a Burg once upon a time I think. But everything is so different now. Gonna try champ next. Thanks all.

Playing the War of the Ring boardgame drove me to trying this again. All my characters are still in Moria, but I am enjoying my hunter.

I might give Wardens a try too.

Thinking of doing my annual dive back into LOTRO. Is it stable once again, no more issues with down servers, terrible lag, discos, etc.? Has anyone even played it recently?

Get all the quests! (well most of them anyway)
https://www.lotro.com/en/getready

All Expansions up to Mordor are also 99 LOTR points. (they normally cost between 1,000-2,500)

Do I need a LOTRO backlog in addition to my regular game backlog? On the one hand, how likely is it that I’ll ever play this again? On the other hand, 99 points!

I saw the offer, installed the launcher and started downloading the game.
… then cancelled and deleted it a few moments later. It’s no good, I think LOTRO is finally past its sell by date. Too old, too crusty. We could do with a brand new Middle Earth MMO. Wasn’t someone building one?

I think Amazon was at one point but I believe it was canceled.

LOTRO is great, and I played it for many years, but I’ve recently discovered FFXIV and my god it’s just better in just about every way.

If only the first 60 levels weren’t so boring, and if only it didn’t have forced grouping.

One thing LOTRO does extremely well, is locations, and vast landscapes. Everything in other MMO’s seems much closer together, and lacks that large, open, vast world feel, that LOTRO does so well.

Back in the day (i.e. like 13 years ago), I organized a guild marathon, foot travel only, from–I don’t remember–northern Angmar to Lothlorien through Moria. It took over an hour to make the trip.

I heard after the first 60 levels it gets really good!

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm or if you just haven’t played in a really long time. Assuming it is the latter : The first 60+ levels, from The Shire all the way through Moria and beyond, have been retooled to make them easily soloable. Even the Book content, the main questline that progresses you through the story, has been changed so that you can solo what used to be forced-grouping encounters. There is also so much content among those familiar locations and landscapes that it is anything but boring for the first 60+ levels.

I recommend everyone take advantage of the LOTROQUESTS2021 code to nab all of the free content and NOT USE the powerup you can purchase to whisk you straight to the higher levels. With all of the content, atmosphere and wonder of the Shadows of Angmar, Mines of Moria, Mirkwood and beyond opened up to everyone for free, it is well worth the journey to experience it all.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear , but it wasn’t sarcasm, sadly, I’ve tried over the years to get through the levels, and I think the last time I tried, which was…5 months or so ago, I stalled around level 37ish or something like that. I had to do the dungeons though, but then again, that could be me just not understand how it worked solo. I just stall out everytime, because its the same mindless quests I do, i the same few enviroments - or so it felt to me.

LOTRO is far more my speed, which is of course a personal preference, but I love the feeling of the vastness of the world here :-)

EDIT: As for the first 60 levels being boring, I was talking about FF14 :-D

This is such a good deal. I picked them up. My gaming buddies and I am about to descend into Moria. :-)