LOTRO to relaunch as free to play?

I’m paralyzed in indecision between playing an older character (I have several ranging in level from the 20s to low 50s) or starting over. I think the full icon bars and inventories for the older guys make me want to start fresh with a new race/class, but then the thought of being level 3 or something puts me off. So I sit and stare…

Are these all character-specific?

Account-wide for wallet…it’s there for all to access.

Carry-alls can be swapped among your characters on the same account, even when full.

SHARED Storage space is account wide, but you can buy storage for just one character’s vault also.

Mount speed is account-wide

I think that faster cooldown on travel, and extra milestones, are character-specific.

The descriptions in the store usually say what is account-wide and what are for one character. Read carefully before purchasing.

Yeah, that was me as well. I’m glad I started over. For one, my new Champion is the most fun LOTRO class I’ve played to date. So much fun. I just finished all the Comb quests at level 12 so he’s on to Saddle now.

I still plan on going back to my 44 hunter at some point once I figure everything out a little better. It’s been all coming back to me as I’ve played. I haven’t done these starting quests in 10 years and I’ve been surprised at how much I remembered once I started doing them. I think I also have a handle on traits/virtues now as well.

Thanks!

Maybe that’s the ticket for me also.

My Champion is my highest level character (67). He was a start-over, after having played a Guardian and Hunter into the 50’s and 30’s respectively then taking a years long break. I created Slainte the Champion when QT3 decided to all start new characters together on the same server years ago, and we all had a ridiculous amount of fun running around the Shire, Bree and other zones running the fun hobbit quests en-masse, helping each other complete tasks and quests and level up, and just generally exploring the game with a fresh perspective among friends. It was easily one of the best MMO experiences I’ve ever had.

If you do go Champ, choose the Yellow trait tree (Area of Effect Damage), but be sure to grab Second Wind (trades Fervor for Power) from the Blue tree and Brutal Strikes (an attack with three strikes) from the Red tree. After a few ranks in the Yellow tree you’ll have Battle Frenzy pumping you full of Fervor, with Blade Wall, Brutal Strikes and Raging Blade popping off constantly and you’ll basically be a whirling dervish of death able to take out groups of up to three lower or equal level opponents at once. You might be a little squishy at first, but once you acquire some good armor and supplement with some appropriate Virtue ranks, you’ll be in great shape.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I can only pick one tree and put points in one tree. When will I be able to pick more than one tree to put points in?

I picked the red tree and have my points there because I read that early in the game, red was best and then I should switch over to yellow later on. Maybe somewhere between level 20-40? Brutal Strikes was actually where I put my very first point, hehe.

So far I have been able to to slaughter everything I’ve fought really fast including groups of 3 without even coming close to dying so I’m really enjoying the Champion ride so far. I can’t wait to get more skills and traits to play with and I’ll make sure to get the one you recommend. I’m having a lot of trouble finding a guide that has recommendations of what skills to pick and use early on in the game.

I think you can make picks in all three from the start. I think.

You pick a tree to specialize in, and points in other trees cost double. (2 skill points)

And you can have two specs (or three if you use mithril coins to unlock another) so you could main one in the red and experiment with the other.

Thanks! If they presented that info somewhere, I completely missed it. That’s a big deal. I don’t have enough points to do that yet but I can see how it would be very handy later on.

Well, now I remember one of the reasons I stopped playing this previously. In some places, the amount of game hitching and stuttering makes the game pretty much unplayable. I’ve never seen anything like this in any other MMO I’ve played.

Do you have the 64 bit client enabled in the launcher options? This made a huge difference for me.

Also - SSD harddisk - without it, the game had microhitchings on my laptop. But, on a SSD it ran flawlessly!

Yes, I do. It’s generally fine unless if I go into Bree or something. Then it goes insane.

That is just Bree.

I changed some settings and it’s much better now.

And least mention what settings you changed. This isn’t Stack Overflow!

Let’s see now…

1. I locked the fps to 60.
  2. I lowered the other players detail slider to the minimum.
  3. I increased the texture size to .80

/deletes account

Does anyone know if some quests have been removed from starter areas? I’ve tried searching, but can’t find anything on it - I am trying out the Shadowfax Legendary server with increased XP, and it seems I am missing a few quests somehow - for instance, in the elf starter areas, there used to be quest to use a flask in the corner of a ruin two places, where goblins roam - that seems to be gone?

Yes, I think I remember reading a while ago that they removed some quests to streamline some of the areas.