Lots of new...anything good?

I’m cravin’ something new. Last time I asked this question, I was pointed to Vampires, which I really dug. Are there any good new RPGs that have flown under my radar? If not, then, what IS good?

Just to flesh out my taste, for those that might not know, I LOVE:

Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind
Civ 3
Pirates! (though it got old quick)
Warcraft III+expansion
NOLF 1&2 (but not necessarily most FPSs, except in MP…lost interest in HL2 quickly)

Something new would be good (though my rig isn’t as decked-out as I’d like, so nothing with exceptionally high system requirements, please.) Not interested in multiplayer or, at this point, MMOGs. Any suggestions?

Have you jumped on the Space Rangers 2 train?

I like Dungeon Siege 2. If you like NWN you will probably like it.

I know you said mmorpgs but I’d have to say if you liked morrowind you would love WOW.

It sounds like you finish your rpgs pretty quick and the month subscription to wow that comes with the box is plenty to get your money’s worth. You’re not at all forced to group. the scenery is beautiful, even better than morrowind and if your rig was good enough to run morrowind you can play wow on medium settings and have a real treat. Whatever you have against mmorpgs you won’t have against wow unless of course it’s the monthly fee and in that case it’s totally worth the first month of play. Take it from someone who prefers single player rpgs and just played wow for the first month.

You liked Vampire? I’d try picking up Fallout 1 & 2. More recent games like Gothic or Arx Fatalis might appeal to you as well.

Gothic II is $10 at Gamestop. You should grab that.

–Dave

Gothic II + Expansion. It’s hard to obtain and get working in English, but not incredibly so. It’s also well worth it, being one of my favorite RPG’s of the past 5 years.

It’s a bit out there given your reference games, but GTA: San Andreas. It is in many ways a “real world” RPG and the sheer amount of content and freedom in it is astounding.

Gothic 2 is good too, but be prepared for one of the worst interfaces in modern days. I really hope they improve on it for Gothic 3. The game is worth learning the horrible interface for, though.

Been a kind of rough year for turn based strategy in the vein of Civ 3 though. Most of the turn based stuff I play now is either on the handhelds (Advance Wars: DS, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) or not really an empire builder (Decisive Battles: Italy, Crown of Glory). Rome: Total War is probably the closest along those lines. At least we should be seeing HOMM 5, Civ 4, Galciv 2, and Space Empires 5 in the next year…

Isn’t Fable: Lost Chapters supposed to be out by now?

I heard Fable is only like, 15 minutes long.

Civ 3 ?

Is this “multiplayer Civ 3” or “The awful, awful single player Civ 3” ?

Ooooh, you’re so discerning.

Everywhere but the stores… :(

Gothic fanboy here so take anything I say with a grain of salt but… I don’t think the interface is bad in Gothic II. The combat is fun in a Die By The Sword kind of way and almost everything can be done entirely by the keyboard. I think they did add a large learning curve by not having a mouse based inventory, but it’s not bad once you figure out the modifier keys.

A bad interface would be one where you are fighting with it for the entire game, which doesn’t happen in Gothic II after you get used to it. It works pretty well once you get past the non standard concepts.

If I have to get used to it, it’s a bad interface.

I wanted to like the first Gothic but the horrible interface made it difficult. When G2 came out, I didn’t hear that they had really improved things, so I passed.

Well, you have to at least admit it’s not particularly friendly. I struggled with Gothic 1’s interface for some time before I got used to it, and when I went to play Gothic 2, I realized I had to start learning it all over again since it had been so long, and I eventually gave up. The tragedy is that Gothic could really be a force in PC RPGs if they’d just make it easier for the layman to play. They’re really cool games, but the obtuse controls mean you really gotta want to get into it.

It really is worth it for Gothic. I don’t know about others, but it took me maybe 20 minutes to get it down. Then I never even had to think of it again, for the hours and hours that I played. In fact, they DID make the interface easier in Gothic 2, I believe - more comparable to other games. But they also included a “retro” mode that let you use the original interface, and that’s what I used.

It’s been over a year since I played that game…now I may have to re-install and fight to install the expansion…

I totally agree. I was not a fan of MMOG’s - - I had only done UO for a year when it came out. But WoW has totally satisfied my RPG thirst for 8 months, still going strong. It’s a great single player game when I want it to be, and about once every week or 2 I’ll team up and do an instance for loot. I recently went back and tried Morrowind one night…and it just seemed so…empty…and lonely…and drab…

[quote=“DTG”]

It really is worth it for Gothic. I don’t know about others, but it took me maybe 20 minutes to get it down. Then I never even had to think of it again, for the hours and hours that I played. In fact, they DID make the interface easier in Gothic 2, I believe - more comparable to other games. But they also included a “retro” mode that let you use the original interface, and that’s what I used.

It’s been over a year since I played that game…now I may have to re-install and fight to install the expansion…[/quote]

Admitting upfront that I am a complete internet dummy, how on Earth can I snag Gothic 1 for less than, oh, the $70-100 I keep seeing it sold for? I’ve been trying eBay, but them eBay camper nerds keep stealing my shit. I’m not above…um…“creative” solutions to this problem. :wink:

[quote=“Poops_McGee”]

If I have to get used to it, it’s a bad interface.

I wanted to like the first Gothic but the horrible interface made it difficult. When G2 came out, I didn’t hear that they had really improved things, so I passed.[/quote]

So any new interface is bad? We should all use whatever came out earlier because learning something new would be too much work? Gothic’s interface does have advantages. There are reasons it was developed like it was, it’s not different just to be different. The problem most people run into is it’s different than anything they have tried before. The lack of an in game tutorial and anything approaching a decent manual just leave them not even bothering to try and learn it.

It’s very much worth it to take the time, I swear the interface isn’t bad, just different.