Love, an indie MMO

I’ll give that a shot. Thanks very much!

did they fix the really bad static fog graphic effect that hurts my eyes and can’t be turned off?

Just bought it. The test ran fine, but when I try to connect to a server, it crashes.

Damn. I also got a friend code, and though the alpha worked on my mac (hooray!) the rest of it didn’t (boo).

The comment thread on this article is epic.

well apparently i’m the not only person that had sore eyeballs after playing. if he’d remove that static fog it would be alot more playable.

Well, this seems like 10 Euros wasted. The game crashes when I click play. I tried to report the bug on the forums but I never got a registration confirmation. User friendliness does not seem to be the top priority with this project.

The client does not auto update, so if you crash it may be that a new version was released again. That’s probably the problem.

I can play, but I see other players as floating heads. The game also hasn’t done a lot of progresses in the ease of play aspects…

Really I think the secret to minecraft’s success was its simplicity. I wish more devs would catch on to that. Unfortunately with Love even looking at something on the screen is headache causing. Literally.

Indeed, I tried it that free weekend, and I couldn’t play for more than 20 minutes at a time. It also didn’t help that there was total confusion going on, with people raising and lowering the land all over the place. I wish it wasn’t a MMO and rather single player focused.

I just downloaded the thing yesterday. I guess it won’t hurt to give it another try. Just having to copy my coupon to a piece of paper and then to the client is annoying. I am not loving this at all right now.

Right, a new client sorted that out.

The game itself is apparently about going on vacation on an alien planet afflicted with Morrowind’s red storm. Even the compass sign is unintelligible as its impossible to determine which end points to your settlement.
Then I fell into some water and was told that I can’t swim and that water will hurt my health.
Apparently the planet’s water bodies are toxic.

Bought it this morning, put a good few hours into it. Takes a little bit to get the hang of, but I think I’m getting used to it all.
I definitely find the game beautiful, but the world geometry is occasionally ridiculously uneven and random, making areas a nightmare to travel. I’d really like to find a token to allow me to build my own city, just because it would be cool to try and start things from the ground up. Didn’t get to play much tonight, but looking forward to getting a chance to play more tomorrow.
Also, the coding needs to be worked on for the guns, the lag at times can be a real pain.

Hey Delta, how are you running it on a mac? I’d like to be able to play this on my laptop, and it won’t seem to start up on my netbook.

Ah, Alex, I’m not. The alpha screen saver-y thing worked perfectly in Crossover Games, but then crashed as soon as I loaded the game itself. Bummer.

Well, I’ve been putting a fair amount of time into this by now. Gotta say, I’m really enjoying love. It has plenty of bugs and obviously needs more work, but the gameplay is really quite fun. I’m not really having problems with the visuals like so many people seem to. I’m having quite an easy time distinguishing everything I see. So far, as I get more and more of a hang on how things work in the game, I’m becoming more and more hooked.

It’s free now: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/07/eskil-steenbergs-love-is-free/

http://www.quelsolaar.com/

I’m impressed by his tools! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0VnCdtCFCQ

so… did they ever fix the migraine inducing visual static fog? last time i looked at their forums (about a month ago) the lead dev was still refusing to add the option to disable it.