Lovecraft Country - HBO, Jordan Peele, Misha Green, Bad Robot

I was just making a joke…

Looks good!

Although I started to think about the intersection between racism and Lovecraftain cosmic horror. In a way, if they are going for the typical cosmic horror climax from HPL, it’s going to reduce the racism angle to a mere punchline, don’t you think?
Cosmic horror is about the protagonist being aware for the first time of how insignificant, how tiny are his entire life, his worries and hopes, how even the human species is insignificant and tiny in an huge uncaring universe and how surely in the blink of an eye, cosmologically speaking, will disappear into dust, or in irrelevance once some Elder Race appears. Following that logic, the fact there are beings from that lil’ new species that has appeared on Earth, that are petty or fight over the color of their skins is so irrelevant and ridiculous.
I guess the twist they can do is that unlike the typical HPL protagonist that goes crazy, here it may barely affect the protagonist, pointing to how they are accustomed* to subtle horror and an uncaring society during all their lives.

Well, the book is called Lovecraft Country, but it really isn’t necessarily only about HPL or his work. Yeah, there is definitely some of that in there. But really, it’s a collection of stories that all focus on the African American experience and how it relates to horror and sci-fi- sort of like what Get Out did (which is why Peele was a great choice to helm this, even if he is ‘only’ producing).

Nope.

-Tom

I think the Eldritch horrors may have gotten nerfed a bit for the story. They’re not the main focus. At least, when compared to HPL’s actual writing. It doesn’t have to be a full-on Azathoth encounter to be a good book.

New trailer’s up.

https://youtu.be/VJV9acMsDwM

Decades of critically acclaimed HBO shows, and I’ve never seriously considered subscribing. That might change.

Well, up until fairly recently, you had to have a bunch of other bullshit first. Like cable TV at all. Now the barrier to entry is much lower.

This is what finally got us to bite. Worth it overall I’d say.

https://youtu.be/dvamPJp17Ds

Can’t wait.

Damn but that looks good. Could somebody have finally done Lovecraft right?

Yes, and that someone is Richard Stanley. But hopefully this will also.

I’d argue that Carpenter’s In The Mouth Of Madness is HPL done right, too, even though it isn’t based on any particular story. And that the book Lovecraft Country isn’t very HPL, despite the name. I’m actually a little bummed they’re playing that up. But in all other respects this looks excellent, and I’m very excited for it.

Lovecraft Country – at least the book – isn’t really Lovecraft. Think of it as civil rights horror.

-Tom

Yup. Lovecraft Country is about the author’s (and main character’s) relationship with Lovecraft as seen through a story that involves American racism and a Lovecraftian threat. It’s missing a lot of what Lovecraft fans look for in Mythos stories, like squamish tentacles horrors, sanity blasting cosmic truths, etc.

The previews for the show seem to show a lot more actual monsters than the book had.

Well. Nonhuman monsters.

Found this article just now:

I liked this part in particular:

Ruff’s book is in part a valentine to Black nerdery and the ability of readers of color to find wonder and transcendence in a genre that rarely included a place for them. Atticus and his uncle George (Courtney B. Vance), who publishes The Safe Negro Traveler’s Guide, a Green Book–style manual of establishments where Black motorists can eat and sleep while on the road in Jim Crow–era America, share a love of pulp fiction. This dismays Atticus’ irascible father, Montrose (Michael Kenneth Williams), who points out that Atticus’ problematic fave, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom series, features a hero, John Carter, who was a Confederate officer before becoming a warlord on Mars. “Stories are like people,” George tells Atticus, in a line echoed in the HBO pilot. “Loving them doesn’t make them perfect. You try to cherish their virtues and overlook their flaws. The flaws are still there, though. … They do disappoint me sometimes. Sometimes they stab me in the heart.”

I like to think it’s possible to enjoy flawed art made by flawed artists, even while never forgetting nor disregarding the flaws themselves.

It is. I’ll admit, it’s a hell of a lot easier when they’re dead though. Easier yet when their works are public domain.

Amazing first episode. Loved everything about it.