Low Magic Age - ToME-like visuals in a D&D wrapper!

Is the entire game world randomized? How much “plot and story” are in this game? The randomized game world in Battle Brothers was okay, but the strategic/overworld layer was very anemic with little to do last time I played. (You could say this about Mount & Blade too.) Hence these games can become a little too directionless for my taste.

I have played that little game for years as well, and I really enjoyed the Arena mode. I was looking forward to the Adventure mode, and while it’s been improved, it’s very deficient on much of the quality of life I’d like it to have, and I just noticed that I was enjoying the combat so much all, that extra layer wasn’t needed.
I still enjoy playing Arena mode every few months. The combat can be very satisfying, like Knights of the Chalice’s.

I think the overworld map is static - city locations, dungeon entrances, strongholds, etc. are all static but the contents of them can be randomized (the quests. the layout of dungeons as well as encounter/treasure, etc.)

I can see this being the case, but the crafting and reputation/exploration aspect is fun. I can see it getting old though, if there isn’t enough meat or some sort of real story going on. Reading the last few patch notes, there is a lot happening every month to add more content to the game, it’s very possible I was premature to dive into this already, but I’m keeping it firmly on my radar as it’s been a perfect “sunday afternoon time killer” today. I really should get back to my other games though, so I may put this away for now before I invest too much time only to find out I was better served waiting.

Jeez, it’s only $10! I will happily buy a game at this “full” price.

Also, this looks like a game I can play on my anemic laptop without graphical issues.

These graphics look significantly nicer in the screenshots than ToME. While I understand the comparison, it almost seems like a disservice. Or I haven’t played ToME recently.

I bought it for that reason but for some reason I have never installed it. I wonder if it works on a Mac (currently my most used laptop is a Mac although I also have a Surface).

I think ToME has received some updates since it went on Steam.

It works mostly fine in Wine, although I have had some issues sometimes with the music (but I turn it off anyway), and it tends to heat up a little in the recent past.
Installing it from Steam can be tricky nowadays, since Steam basically banned Wine (not litterally, but in facts it is what happened), so you’ll have to either download it from the Surface and drop it on your Mac (the game doesn’t need Steam to run), or get it on GOG.
I bought the game a second time on GOG last year just for that reason.

It has, at least a couple being quite huge. Not sure if that includes graphical updates, though. (I haven’t actually played it in ages.)

You sound like one of them job-having types.

I save that money by not rushing out to buy AAA games like a total idiot.

And I, with very rare exceptions, never buy a game that isn’t on sale nor at its historically lowest price.

There are a series of “story” quests, but I don’t know how far that quest line goes yet. It’s nothing remarkable, although I didn’t get very far into it on my last attempt.

Years ago $10 would have been pretty much “thoughtless purchase” territory for me, but that was then and this is now, and the market is very much oversaturated and most of us have been burned by games with “potential” that never actually got there.

For me, if I for a game and have fun with it, even if I don’t play it to completion, I’m going to be okay with the purchase. I rented movies that I didn’t get a lot out of, and that was only like two hours. I put over 5 hours into this (four of which were from today) and to me if I never touch this again (unlikely) I’ll still feel like it was worth ten bucks.

The problem with this game’s pricing, since it was first released at like 3 bucks, is that it never reflected its amount of content.
They sure didn’t spend a lot on production values (although the game doesn’t feel cheap), and there is probably a case of “fair pricing”, in that they charge internationally what they’d charge in their home country, so it’s definitly not a traditionnal “ten bucks or less” game (another recent such case is the excellent Vasara Collection from Brazilian QUByte)

I think Underrail and Mount & Blade were both ~$15 when I bought them in early access/beta.

Will these D&D rules make sense if my last exposure was 2nd ed, maybe 3.5?

Not really…

For sure!

Ok, so 2 levels of barbarian on everything for uncanny dodge.