Lucas Arts Classic Adventure Games Mega Collection (remastered for XP and Vista PCs)?

Is there such a thing as Lucas Arts classic-adventure game mega collection?

I’d love to replay Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Island Series, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, the Dig and all the rest.

And while I’m aware I can track down each and fiddle to get them up and running, Gametap has spoiled me. I basically would love to get my hands on a DVD that has them all - and all are set to run on my current rig out of the box.

I looked on-line and couldn’t find any thing like this… you’d think there’d be a market for such things…

I don’t know if there’s a collection, but ScummVM is what you want to get them running.

There are XP-compatible versions of Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle and the Dig in stores that I have seen. No bundling though. For Maniac Mansion, I’m pretty sure there’s an updated freemake on the net. I had it on my old computer but I don’t remember where I got it from. For the DOS Monkey Islands I don’t really know a good source.

Really? I can’t find any reference to any such versions on-line. I keep coming across sites that help you run these titles on XP machines but no mention of XP-native versions (well both the Dig and the most recent Monkey Island game are XP friendly; the rest, not so much).

I know that LucasArts releases the “Lucas Archives Collection” awhile back but this games were definitely DOS based.

Might be a European publisher behind it, all I can say is that the Full Throttle box draws my eyes every time I’m browsing my game store.

Did you play Full Throttle the first time? Good game, but I think it’s one of the shortest games I’ve ever played.

Full throttle? Hell yes did I play it. I bought an extra 4 MB of RAM just to play it. The game length didn’t really bother me as I really suck at adventure game puzzle solving and back then I didn’t have internet spoilers to fall back on.

What he said.

Plus, as far as gaming goes, I’d rather spend my money on a well written, well executed game that draws me in - even if it only does so for a short period of time.

Short games don’t bother me at all as long as the hour to money spent ratio is still about the twice the value of a movie (i.e. $50 on an adventure game that runs about 10 hours is totally kosher in my book).

There’s a hack to play all of those old adventure games on a nintendo DS too, which is a BRILLIANT idea with the stylus.

ScummVM is absolutely perfect anyway. There’s really no need for XP-compatible versions.

Well Day of the Tentacle has Manic Mansion as a game within the game anyway, so you get the XP version and you’re set.

Activision have the European distribution rights for those titles, and are behind those re-releases in the UK & elsewhere.

Actually I’ve always wondered why sierra, lucasarts, westwood, etc, haven’t officially re-released their adventure games on the DS. That stylus is custom made for simple point and click adventure, and their dated graphics would look fine on a 4" screen.

Hell, they’d make great downloadable games for the wii too.

I think I finished it in about five or six hours. It’s short, but I’ve played shorter games. Full Throttle is well worth playing, regardless.

If they came out for DS, I’d buy them all over again.

And I think I’ve probably bought most of them 2 or 3 times to begin with. I think I only recently tossed a copy of Day of the Tentacle because I knew I’d never again own a PC with a floppy drive.

Actually, knowing me, I probably rationalized at the last minute and they’re stuffed in a box somewhere.

Now I’m gonna go and giggle about the old “rubber tree” gag.

If they’d re-release Monkey Island 1 and 2, just adding voices (the guy they got to do Guybrush for parts 3 and 4 is perfect), I would definitely buy them again.

I’ve been a huge advocate of short games, particularly since my kid left infancy. But I suck at adventure game puzzles and I swear I remember finishing Full Throttle in a little over 4 hours. In part because I figured out the biker battles were pattern puzzles and not really arcade sequences, so they were easy to blow past.

The reason I was so disappointed was that I really liked the game, and I was let down that it was over so quickly.

That said, at least Full Throttle was fun. As opposed to Grim Fandango, which had insanely difficult puzzles. I don’t think either my wife or I ever played another adventure game after the idiocy of the Grim Fandango puzzles.

It shows how bad business sense they seem to have.

Porting these over would cost them next to nothing, and the userbase of the DS is large enough to garantee good sales. Advertisement would be free because of the generate internet buzz and praise.

Strangely enough EA seems to be the only publisher who has noticed this, reviving both theme park and sim city for the DS.

It was quite difficult, but Grim Fandango still is one of the better advent

Wait. This is a clue right? Let’s see… advent

ScummVM has been ported to the DS. The only requirement is a way for you to run homebrew software, and you’re set!