Lumines 2 track listing

The full listing of songs announced today follows. (Starred entries will also have music videos in the game - the others are TBC.)

* Beck - Black Tambourine *
* Black Eyed Peas - Pump It *
* Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar *
* Fatboy Slim - Gangster Trippin' *
* The Go! Team - Bottle Rocket *
* Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl *
* Hoobastank - Born to Lead *
* Junior Senior - Take My Time *
* Junkie XL - Breezer
* Ken Ishii - TBA
* Missy Elliot - Lose Control *
* Mondo Grosso - various, exclusive to game
* New Order - TBD *
* Stigmato Inc - Reality Check
* TECHRIDERS - TBA

Black Eyed Peas, Hoobastank, Gwen Stefani? Missy Elliot? videos? What the crap? Get your american shit pop out of my quirky jpop puzzle game.

Beck? Fatboy Slim?

Some of those songs are downright terrible too.

yeah, i’m pretty much wtf to everyone on the list except Mondo Grosso. My opinion might be different if I lived in japan, maybe over there they are some over played pop band.

Personally I would have rather seen them grab a bunch of indy techno tunes off off mp3.com or something. I really don’t want to hear any licensed pop music I am vaguely familiar with - it will get old fast and kill the replayability.

I’m happy with New Order

Hollaback Girl? That kills any interest I’d have right there.

No sale. Ruined.

How come it cant have custom soundtracks? It’s on a fucking mp3 player.

If nothing else, “Star Guitar” by TCB is a vintage Lumines-style song. I can’t be mad at that. And New Order’s okay.

Ken Ishii might also work well if he’s the guy I’m thinking of. One of the more spaced-out ambient acts I’ve heard from Japan.

But the rest of it - yeah, not so sure about most of those picks. Not that I dislike popular music, far from it, but it’s, you know, popular. As in, I already hear this stuff all the time on the radio and in friends’ cars and gas stations and malls and blah blah et fucking ceterah, why bother putting it in this game too? It’s overkill for me.

Especially when the original game’s soundtrack was comprised solely of songs I’d never heard before, with at least 1/4th of them genuinely good. That was a pleasant surprise for me and I was hoping for more of the same with the sequel.

Here’s hoping that, assuming they stick to vaguely-to-very popular artists, they’ll try to snag someone like Amon Tobin, whose vintage sound would have sounded right at home next to some of the original game’s songs.

where is it said it can’t have custom soundtracks?

Goofy things I have done on my PSP/DS:
Played and enjoyed a katamari game
Listened to digital microorganisms play back altered versions of my own voice
Shouted “Objection!” into a microphone
Laughed maniacally while guiding a big singing yellow blob around the screen

Things I will NOT do:
Play a game featuring a Gwen Stefani video (now if it had been “No Doubt” instead, I wouldn’t have minded so much).

At any rate, Fatboy Slim is perfect for Lumines, Mondo Grosso should be good, and I like the Amon Tobin suggestion, though in a way the game was appealing when the music was unfamiliar. I was willing to pick this up if they added in the ability to start a game at/after any level you had already cleared but now I think I’ll pass.

Still, even though I may be taking a pass, this may well make the game more interesting/accessible to many that haven’t tried it yet.

This track listing makes me sad. I’ve put more time into Lumines than any other game I’ve played in recent memory. With Gwen Stefani, Missy Elliot, and Hoobastank on the track list, this game has gone from a ‘must have’ to ‘maybe when it hits bargain bin’ for me. Actually, I don’t even know if I’ll pick it up then.

I am really hoping that this is just some crazy US localization. Hopefully the Japanese release will have a different track list.

Ken Ishii had a track in Rez. ‘Creation - the State of Art’, I believe (3rd phase).

For me? Chemical Brothers; Fatboy Slim = I’m sold.

Because each song has custom sounds for all of the actions that happen in the game.

I thought the first one’s soundtrack was bad … oh man. Mind you, what’s the point of buying a sequel to a puzzle game, anyway?

OH! How important!

I played lumines 1 with no sound 99% of the time anyways, but on general principle, I’ll just get the 360 version and play my own music over it.

Lumines is nice, but its no rez as far as sound usage

Yeah, because in Lumines the music actually affected the gameplay. It didn’t - at all - in Rez. Well, I guess the gameplay in Rez is shit so the presentation was made that much more important … okay, point to you.

I don’t see why you couldn’t have custom music, though. Vib Ribbon did it.

Call me nutty, but how does the music affect play in Lumines? seriously? I killed it right away because it had some annoying tracks and never turned it back on.

In rez it at least seemed like your play created the music a little bit.

Also, rez is a great game, and you eat poop, poopeater.

It affects that bar that sweeps over the blocks. Goes in time to the music.

Oh, and Rez is a bad game but a nice screensaver.