MacBooks: Updates Killed our Docks via DisplayLink

So it looks like macOS High Sierra broke DisplayLink last month, rendering countless docking stations useless for the purpose of attaching spare monitors and forcing everyone back into That Dongle Life.

Which I wouldn’t give one half of one shit about if I hadn’t just helped my workplace order 5 top-of-the-line MacBooks and LandingZone docking stations for them to help attach everyone’s dual monitors, mice, keyboards, ethernet connections, and assorted other items (a few label printers, some external HDDs, one user who reads SD cards regularly for photography, etc.).

DisplayLink says they’re working on it, but do those of you who are more hooked into Mac culture think this is going to be some kind of ongoing issue to force everyone onto expensive Apple branded adapters or some shit? Cuz if so, I really need to return these $200 LandingZones and get my office-mates used to unhooking half a dozen dongles everytime they go remote (lol, as if; even the fancy Pro’s we got only have for fucking ports on the entire goddamn machine).

There is a weird issue in the latest HS update for these things. It also broke using Duet Display to use your iPad as a second display.

No, that’s some Art Bell shit right there.

My status now with updates on iPads and Macs is never until i’m forced to. I think the iMac is still on Sierra b/c Fusion Drives still aren’t supported; i updated the laptop because some program forced me to though.

I never, ever allow incremental updates on either phone or computers. My phone is still harassing me to update every day.

It helps that their is virtually no reason to update most of the time anyway, certainly for most people the small functionality improvements or changes are completely forgettable.

Unfortunately, since all our technology gets routed through the IT dept of the university, we’re required to be completely up-to-date unless we have mission-critical work that requires otherwise, which is a massive process, and “not having to return our fancy docking stations” won’t count :-/

The docking station I got with my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop uses DisplayLink. I get a BSOD every time I try to use it.

DisplayLink has always been shitty and unstable for me on both Mac and Windows.

So is there a workable solution for multi-monitor/docking station support for modern MacBooks? Cuz we are utterly dependent on tools like that for our expected workflow, but this is the first time a significant portion of the staff have moved to Macs, and of course it’s the new ones with the goofy port setup :( :( :(

Ugh, I am not an actual IT guy. I wish I was at least getting paid for this shit. Benefits of being the youngest male staff member lolll

Why not a dock that utilizes Thunderbolt 3? There’s probably a decent selection of docks by now.

I was under the impression that our current one did, but it’s possible I got mixed up at some point while comparing options.

edit: fuck, it really might not be. Would that solve the issue? I’m gonna feel like a total ass if not -.-

Shoulda gotten a Dell, dude.

It:s probably a bug without malign intent. It may be fixed next update… Or it may never be, like the host of issues that have been plaguing OS X for 10 years (litterally, like dozens of hdmi issues - never shut down a mac laptop hooked to an external monitor-, sound alerts not playing…)
In any case, Apple will ignore, or even deny the issue, until it’s fixed… Or not.
Being forced to update in the Apple world is very bad for your sanity.

I literally begged them to

Hmm I have a MBA LandingZone lying around here somewhere too.