Mad Max: Fury Road

As much as I’d love more time in that world, I’d be happy if Fury Road was the final installment. Go out on top and all that.

And yes, more Babe please.

Miller was just nominated for a Director’s Guild of America (DGA) award.

This was one of two (three?) movies I saw in a theater in 2015, and it was absolutely worth it. Promise yourself that if a local joint ever throws it up on a big screen for a night, you’ll go :-D

I have no problems with Fury Road being the last Miller directed installment. I don’t think it can be topped. It must have been an exhausting film to make, with Miller battling since 1998 to realize the project. Leave them wanting more.

Yeah, I concur. Fury Road seems like a crazy accident of a perfect movie. I’d be quite content with that shot of Max fading into the crowd, heading back into the wastes, as the last time we see him.

Yes, it seems like everyone’s on the same page here. There’s nowhere to go but down and I’m happy for Fury Road to be the exclamation point at the end of the series.

Oh it might be the last Mad Max movie for Miller, but we all know the suits won’t let the series end here. Just wait a few years, if we even have to wait that long. The suits will hire some other director.

But I agree it should end here.

… And now Miller has gotten a Best Director Oscar nom, and Fury Road has been nominated for Best Picture (and 8 other awards, but no acting ones.)

That seems about right. Nothing wrong with the acting in Mad Max, but Hardy should be winning for The Revenant, not this.

Yeah, this wasn’t an acting movie (acting was good though) this was a spectacle movie, and definitely worthy of director/best picture nods.

Great so see so many nominations for this! I figured it was going to get lost in the shuffle.

Would love to see George Miller walk away with the directing award, but I suspect it will go to Alejandro G. Iñárritu.

He also clarified the previous statement.

“That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review. She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another ‘Mad Max’ movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another ‘Mad Max.’ It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”

It wasn’t a dialogue movie. Theron did an excellent job, she just did it all with her face.

'Course she already has an Oscar, and Hardy’s nom’d for another role, so it’s all good.

If I had to nominate someone for a best acting award from Mad Max, I’d pick Nicholas Hoult. That guy disappeared into his character. I was shocked to find out who he was, after the movie.

Yeah, it was about halfway through the movie, that I was like… that guy looks familiar… oh… it is THAT guy.

Glad to see Fury Road get some well deserved recognition in many categories.

However, for these categories:

Best Sound Editing

“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Sicario”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Best Sound Mixing

“Bridge of Spies”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

In both cases, the two movies I’ve seen in each category were Mad Max and Star Wars, and neither were in the same league as Spectre, which had the best Sound Editing and Sound Mixing I’ve ever experienced in a movie. So I don’t really mean to single out Mad Max or Star Wars, but I can definitively say that these two movies were inferior to Spectre in both categories.

That’s good. I thought I had read him say the same in earlier interviews. MM4 was so draining he needed a break to do something else for a while, but did not have intention to shelve the series.

I’m super happy to see how many nominations this received (including Best Picture!), but I’ll admit to being a little disappointed that it was skipped over for Best Original Score.

Damnit, you’re right.

Tom Holkenborg’s stuff is really amazing and helps make the movie what it is. Pieces like “Storm is Coming”, “Brothers in Arms” or “Chapter Doof” relentlessly hammer and get you pumped up, while others like “Redemption” or “Many Mothers” perfectly underscore the few calm parts.

Yeah, this guy has been on my radar ever since 300: Rise of an Empire. He also did Black Mass this year. I’m confident he’ll get his turn. But right now, it seems the Academy focuses on the really entrenched and “famous” composers. They sometimes throw a token nomination to young “upstarts” like Holkenberg. But as with the other nominations, it’s mostly about the guys like this year’s picks of Thomas Newman, John Williams, Carter Burwell, and Ennio Morricone.

That said, I was really happy to see Johan Johannson singled out for his Sicario music, and furthermore nominated for the second year in a row! And when Steven Price won for Gravity, he was definitely a newbie. But Holkenberg’s time will almost definitely come.

-Tom