Mad Max: Fury Road

I am shunned in my place of work because I thought Interstellar was trash.

I’ll second that. It still stands my hair on end every time I watch it. There’s something primal about it, and more mythic than the kind of emotion Gravity taps into.

I can actually understand that reaction, even if I completely disagree with most of it.

Interstellar wasn’t perfect, but it is definitely worth watching. Trash? No way.

The real story is how the robots were the heroes in Interstellar.

I’m concerned that I’m being pranked here, but if your intent is to get me to consider watching Happy Feet, you have succeeded.

Although, to be fair, I’d argue he knew how to do that way back in the 80s in Road Warrior, and even somewhat with Mad Max. The V8 Interceptor was arguably a more interesting character than Max himself, because its voice didn’t have to be dubbed.

No drubbing from me! I’d put Gravity on that list of gobsmacking “this is amazing moviemaking” experiences as well, but sharing your caveat that I mean Gravity in the theater. I haven’t seen it since going twice when it was in theaters. To be honest, I’m a bit reluctant to watch it at home.

I heart you.

No one likes you. Plus you’re adopted. And your mother dresses you funny.

I heart you, too.

I’ll never forgive Kellywand for making me think I had misremembered one of the robot’s names and getting me to refer to it as TARDS on the podcast.

-Tom

That scene in Interstellar where they come back from a trip that was a few days for them, and the guy has been waiting 20 years for them to return.

“Why didn’t you hypersleep?”

“I did.”

That was a fucking awesome scene.

Even if the science hadn’t just barely been stretched into plausibility, I love that moment so much that I wouldn’t even care. It’s entirely self-justifying, just like the guitar guy in Fury Road.

Interstellar was pretty awesome, with a lot of problems. Fackin’ gawgeous though.

Whoa – Let’s not get crazy now. When I say the penguins fall into the uncanny valley, I mean it. I couldn’t watch more than five minutes of that horror.

The Babe movies, now, those are worth watching.

Just caught Fury Road on HBO last night. Having seen it twice in theaters it was cool to just drop in and catch some of it for a few minutes. I’m going to make a point to watch it from the start but it’s great in pieces as well.

I also caught some last night on HBO. I was only going to watch the first few minutes, since I had other stuff to do, but I couldn’t stop watching until there was a break in the action. And that didn’t happen until the pregnant chick died. Phew! Pretty intense.

Also, Time Warner Cable’s compression sucks. The Tornado storm scene was a mess with compression artifacts. I bet HBO Go will have the movie in better quality than Time Warner has it on normal cable. Come on Time Warner. Less compression please.

It’s worth owning on Blu-ray. Just saying.

Just scored an deserved Oscar hattrick with best make up, best production design and best costume. \o/ (Show’s not over yet.)

EDIT: One for best editing too. One more for sound editing. One more for sound mix.

6 Oscars. Very nice. Though I still think Best Sound Editing should have gone to Spectre, which sadly wasn’t even nominated this year. Much better than both Mad Max and Star Wars in that category. It’s the first time I’ve enjoyed a movie so much almost solely on the basis of its incredible sound editing.

Back to Mad Max, it was great to see the movie get so much recognition. It’s not often that you see an action movie so well reviewed, and win 6 oscars too. Is it a record of some kind? It’s not normal for action movies right?

The first Star Wars got 10 Oscar nominations and took home 6. Thats the last action/scifi movie I can recall doing that well in the Oscars. Of course they have a lot more categories for the Oscars now, for what its worth.

Return of the King? Fellowship of the Ring?

Those did pretty well.

But odd that Star Wars didn’t win sound mixing or editing. I guess Mad Max was pretty great too.

To my mind, the film editing award is the most deserved, however much Fury Road clearly deserved the others. I haven’t seen a movie paced this well in years, nor action cut together so well since The Matrix. It’s absolutely flawless.

Pretty cool video of behind the scenes stuff and pre-production tests for the stunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

Need to watch this movie again.

Ok you post apocalyptic LARPers: Welcome to “Wasteland City

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mad-max-fans-descend-post-apocalyptic-playground-071759665.html

I really need better pictures than the lone image of a silhouetted trio in a story about wasteland cosplayers in the desert.

Maybe they were afraid of showing you the reality of those involved in the fantasy. ;>