Mad Max: Fury Road

You’re dating yourself, Tom. People these days always want to know what’s behind the curtain. It’s like a fucking mania. Like vampires wanting to drain every last drop of life out a property… and, unfortunately, this suits the “suits” just fine. It makes them money.

Nobody seems to have the imagination just to come up with their own awesome any more.

“Hey, I got this great idea. Let’s do a prequel of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, like before McMurphy got thrown in the institution, follow him on what led up to that! There’s that mention of him getting busted on statutory rape, let’s roll with that… definitely throw Millie Bobbie Brown in there!”

I liked Thunderdome. Not every sequel is a blood sucking attempt. Sometimes you get Tina Turner!

Mad Max: Fury Road is always worth revisiting. This video just makes me appreciate the movie even more.

Lindsey Ellis is one smart and observant cookie.

Nerds!

Yay, even though the details are absurdly vague (seriously, even the log line’s a secret), George Miller’s next film will be an original epic!

Indiewire has an excellent interview with George Miller, which contains some little nuggets on the future of the franchise.

“There are two stories, both involving Mad Max, and also a Furiosa story. We’re still solving, we’ve got to play out the Warners thing, it seems to be pretty clear that it’s going to happen.”

“It all started because of the chaos at Warner Bros. and not Kevin Tsujihara, it was pre all that. He wasn’t the antagonist, because a lot of people didn’t know what was going on and were not prepared to make a definitive stand; everybody was running around fearful, it seems, through three regimes. It was hard to get anyone’s attention, so we went to litigation. The chaos has stabilized and it’s become extremely positive as the dust seems to have settled after [the AT&T merger].”

The big thing that really made me feel okay is when I listened to the podcast dissecting the movie minute by minute, “The Mad Max Minute,” I realized that it did all come across: all that effort we put into designing the world in every way, the language, what things might have meant, gestures, behavior. When all of that is being read pretty much as you hoped it would be, I was grateful — somehow the storytelling has worked.

That made me tear up, truthfully. What a lovely feeling that must’ve been.

NYT feature looking back at the movie five years after its release, having spoken with a number of people involved in the project. Miller, Hardy and Theron among them, with the latter two also talking about how they didn’t get along on the set.

That was great! Thanks for posting it.

I love how everyone basically acknowledges that the Mad Max torch was being passed to Furiosa right from the start. Damn good stuff.

Great article, very interesting. I need to watch that film again…

I am intrigued…

George Miller must simply enjoy repeatedly punching people in the balls, with himself at the top of the punchee-list. I read that NYT article about the making of Fury Road and it sounded like a miserable goddamn death slog. So George is all like “crikey, let’s make another one!”

He’s Australian. The entire continent is designed to kill you. He’s used to it.

If Fury Road had been a failure I’m sure everyone would have gone their separate ways. But since it was both successful and an actually genius movie, they can forgive everything that went on during shooting.

Not to mention a lot of the issues were due to simply not understanding how Miller works, so now that he’s a known entity you can hope it’d be smoother.

Theron has been knocking it out of the park with action roles for years now, so I’ll for sure be in.

I was actually hired to work on Mad Max 4 during the first attempt in 2003. At the time I was living in Cape Town (South Africa) & getting sent to Namibia for the shoot…

To be honest, it sounds like I was spared quite a gruelling production! But I would still have loved to have been a part of it.

P.S. The most recent Charlize performance I watched was That Thing You Do…

Let’s just say, Not Yet Furiosa.

Theron isn’t going to be in the movie though.

Wow, OK, I didn’t even read the article because I assumed. Without Theron it’ll be a wait and see, I guess.