Mad Max: Fury Road

The Feral Kid for Road Warrior, it should be his story.

That way you could do the “That might be an interesting take on Max–what does the Road Warrior do when civilization has been saved, but now there’s no place for him in it?” and you wouldn’t need Mel Gibson’s Max. The Feral Kid, having learned under Max’s tutelage, becomes leader of the Great Northern Tribe in the fullness of time but how? There’s your story.

You could have the conflict of people wanting to live in a civilized fashion with the Feral Kid’s insistence on doing things with Max’s trademark sneaky booby traps and slambang action(otherwise known as ‘violence’).

What would have happened at the end of The Searchers if Ethan had insisted on coming in rather than walk away? We could find out in Mad Max 4.

No, you know what would be awesome? The Rise of Humongous. Give me a parallel story to Road Warrior about Humongous and how he became the anti-Max. That would rock, provided George Lucas has nothing to do with it.

H.

It can’t be a Mad Max movie without Mad Max. Now, maybe it is time to replace Mel Gibson as Mad Max (how many times have they replaced James Bond, for heaven’s sake), but I can’t say I’d be too worked up to see a Mad Max movie without the title character.

Mel Gibson is a douche for the things he has done in the past few years, but if he can still pull off the acting and look for Mad Max, I’m all for him starring. I just hope he doesn’t look like a grandpa, such as Harrison Ford did. He ran like he was wearing diapers and his pants looked like they were tied up with a cord.

See the opening sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark - he ran like that then, too.

DING 

Right, yeah!? I mean, you can have Max, but he’s always fifty yards away on the other end of your sweet-ass battle buggy and megaphone. It would be like Clockwork Orange met Lord of the Flies.

H.

So this still hasn’t started filming, though Miller claims its his next project after he finishes up working on Happy Feet 2. Supposedly it starts filiming in October, and there are some concept vehicle sightings out there.

The filming location is now in doubt, however. The area in Australia where they were planning on making the movie received major rainfall last year, which is supposedly why the movie was delayed a year. Now they are saying its still too green for the October filming plan and now they are looking at going back overseas, possible back to Namibia, which is where the 2003 version was supposed to film.

I’m still not convinced this will happen. And Gibson is definately not playing a major role. The main actors associated with it are Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.

Directly from Happy Feet 2 to Mad Max 4? I predict spontaneous tap dancing in post-apocalypse America.

The Mad Max movies are Australian. Australian director, Australian setting, Australian cast (for the most part.)

Tough crowd, this.

Tina Turner has the best Aussie accent.

But will it have a Brian May score?

This could happen. After all, the Thunderdome made it into Babe 2 so anything is possible.

H.

Reading comprehension -1 for you. ;-)

I still want the ending twist to be that Max gets out of Australia, and the rest of the world is perfectly normal. It’ll have the subtext that Australia’s just like that all the time.

. . . and he gets a job driving a taxi in L.A. Then the zombie apocalypse!

I was poking fun at Tina’s real life accent - I remember her having some weird pseudo-British (or something European) accent in the 80s (just like Madonna and someone else I can’t think of at the moment). She’s from Missouri.

Part of me hopes this movie never happens given the trajectory of George Miller’s creative output. But another part of me wants to see Tom Hardy tearing around a post-apocalyptic wasteland in the last of the V8 Interceptors. I am at war with myself.

-Tom

One of these will supposedly be in the movie, based on a contest they came up with where people vote for one of these designs that Ford Australia came up with:

Not really what I’d call the last of the V8 Interceptors.

What it really comes down to for me is that George Miller never made a good Mad Max movie. He and Byron Kennedy made two, but once Kennedy died that was it. Beyond Thunderdome, though it has a few moments and ideas (the Thunderdome concept will outlive the movies). So what are we going to get - another Road Warrior or another Thunderdome? And the idea that they think they can make a new trilogy out of this, well . . .

But there are so few post-apoc films being made anymore that I’ll end up seeing it anyway.