Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

The season pass is on sale this week on XBL. Guess I bought it too early, because I just finished a full-DLC play through. Impressions follow.

• The DLC is not separate episodes, they appear as missions once you reach a certain point in the game (I believe after you have all 3 underbosses in charge of their home territories, but I didn’t take notes, so just going by memory). I prefer them integrated like this.
  • If you care about trophies/achievements, I recommend doing the DLC quests earlier rather than later, 2 of them have post-story activities that require lots of money and time to finish, and some goals that include using the DLC weapons a certain number of times. Might as well have fun with the new stuff during the story rather than grind them out at the end.
  • I’m not sure I would recommend doing your first play through with the DLC installed, some of it will be more meaningful after you know the full story, some of it introduces elements that can stretch your suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. It’s really more fan service & diversions than a fleshing out of the main story.
  • Faster, Baby: A new area on the map, you take on a stereotypical Racist Southern Sherriff and more Southern Union types with a blaxploitation-style female sidekick. You end up with a marijuana growing activity that is more money sink than money maker. Lots of driving & smashing. Pretty fun.
  • Stones Unturned: Donovan asks for your help to track down a loose end from his CIA days in Vietnam. Takes you off to an island for some Uncharted-eque action. Adds a bounty hunter activity and “sniper support” that lets you do silenced takedowns of every enemy in the target circle, as long as you are close enough to target them. Probably the least believable of the 3 DLCs story-wise, but still entertaining.
  • Sign of the Times: Lincoln takes on a Manson-flavored southern death cult. A lot of the time is spent in non-combat “investigation zones” where you soak up atmosphere instead of shooting. (tip: If Lincoln picks up an object that he can rotate, you are supposed to rotate it a certain way so it can be photographed) Adds a rebuilding Sammy’s activity, which is mostly a straight-up money sink with a couple of story missions. This takes lots of cash, but it’s nice to fix up the place.