Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

It has been cracked very quickly so I would guess it does not have Denuovo. Quite surprising really.

AFAIK, it does not use Denvo. This was part of the speculation regarding 2K not giving out review copies. (As it turns out, the reason for withholding review copies probably had more to do with 2K knowing it wouldn’t get great reviews at many sites.)

I posted earlier that Mafia 3 uses Arxan.

Uh, I didn’t frame it as the final word on Mafia 3, and if you click the link, you’ll see Gaynor says a lot more about the game than just 140 characters. I posted it because I had made the comparison to Far Cry 2 a couple of posts above, and was happy to see an awesome developer arrive at the same conclusion. He’s going to be on Austin Walker’s podcast to talk about the game soon.

I think you mistook my meaning. I get overly excited when someone makes the comparison to Far Cry 2 (a game I love) so that Tweet (and the subsequent Tweets, which I read) really intrigued me.

I haven’t been following this thread that closely so I missed your comparison earlier. Otherwise I would have credited you with sparking my interest in Mafia 3! :-)

I’m very sorry about that, AntediluvianArk. Not only did I misinterpret what you said, for a moment I forgot that QT3’s a nice board! Re-reading my comment I was also worried that I might be implying that I had some kind of definitive statement on the quality of the game.

There definitely are similarities, but it’s worth stressing that Far Cry 2 offered more dynamic, systemic possibilities and has a bolder presentation style than M3, just for the sake of your expectations. That said, there definitely are numerous parallels between the games. It’s the first AAA title that’s offers similar moments (dynamic firefights, strapping bombs to your car to clear a check point, using a device to create a distraction and whip out everyone out with a single grenade) that I’ve played since Clint Hocking’s game released nearly a decade ago. It has some issues, but I think it’s worth playing, especially if you’re okay with creatively killing racist mobsters without much in the way of an explicit reward.

Giantbomb’s review is up:

Ultimately, technical gaffes and issues of design repetition weren’t enough to stop me from appreciating Mafia III. The writers and voice actors turn in the strongest work, crafting and performing a story that manages to rise above the conventional open-world structure it’s working within. When Mafia III does falter, it’s where it most willingly gives in to those open-world conventions, resting back on the kinds of activities and mechanics we’ve seen done time and time again in games just like this. It’s not unfair to want Mafia III to be better than it is, but I think it’s still worth admiring for what it manages to pull off.

I’d say that quote is about right.

Finished it. Great great game. Loved the story, loved how the guns handled, loved the length, I wish there was more.

The ending sets up multiple DLC, bring it on!

The user interface could use some work in this game :)

The Washington Post reports that Mafia 3 nearly outsold the franchise lifetime sales in the first week.

The risk paid off: 2K Games, which reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in the publisher’s history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.

Interesting. If that 4.5 million number for the first week is correct, then the scuttlebutt that came out about 2K’s internal projection being 8 million for the game now sounds pretty believable.

https://hackernoon.com/how-2k-killed-irrational-games-a09d8865fd8b#.vymctv9e6

4.5 million is extremely unexpected. Only 330K on PC, I expected about a million more on consoles. I guess marketing and lack of day 1 reviews did its job.

Uh, oh. Washington Post added a sneaky stealth edit:

The risk paid off: 2K Games, which reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in the publisher’s history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold-in 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.

Original said this:
http://i.imgur.com/OFNqNOQ.png?1

I don’t understand the distinction - what’s the difference between sold-in and sold?

Sold-in is the industry term for the amount of units sold to retailers.

Yup. There’s a big difference between “sold-in” or “shipped” and “sold” or “sold-through” in terms of charting how many were bought by customers. There may be only a million copies in the wild actually being played by people.

Still, 4.5 million sold-in is nothing to sneeze at. It means 2K did their job promoting the game to retailers, and those retailers in turn thought they’d be able to unload the game by year end.

Aren’t unsold copies returned to publishers if the retailers cannot sell them no matter what ?

Depends on the market. A lot of places will just mark down the unsold units or remainder them to places like Half Price or even eBay resellers instead of going through the process of shipping them back and trying to get their claim fulfilled.

Oh. Nice one Take Two.

Would be nice if they actually released it in a good state. They still haven’t improved performance, it still runs like shit.

Thanks for your insights gents. I’m definitely adding this to my wishlist for 2017 because of good word-of-mouth here.