Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

Great game. Anyone played the new update? Any more fools to shoot for those of us who have beat it? Thats what I want. More gangs to take down :)

Hmm, I tried taking a racket in Tickfaw Harbor last night, and the mob refused to line up for a Conga line death when I whistled. Tried the new racing missions are a welcome diversion which really show off how great the driving mechanics are in the game.

Mafia 3 made Gamasutra’s top 10 games of 2016:

If you traveled back in time six months and told past-me that Mafia III would be one of my favorite games of the year, I’d have cheerfully A) asked after your wondrous time machine and B) said you were nuts.

Hangar 13’s debut game appears, on its surface, to be an unremarkable open-world game about gangsters, with little to set it apart from all the other open-world gangster games beyond a novel setting.

But what a setting it is! I lived in Louisiana for a time, and while the city we called home bore little resemblance to Mafia III’s simulacrum of late-’60s New Orleans, there are little details that feel right: the color of the light, for one, or the stark flatness of the landscape.

The game’s design also does a great job at conveying, through systems, some small piece of what I think it must feel like to be a mixed-race man living in the South. For example, there are two separate on-screen indicators that show the player where danger is – one is a standard red reticle that appears during combat and spikes in different directions to indicate where enemies (and damage) are coming from, while the other is a blue reticle that shows the player where nearby police are and how strongly they’re looking at you.

In just about every other open-world game, that latter indicator would only appear when the player had committed a crime and was being hunted by police. In Mafia III, the police indicator is a constant – it will always appear and show you that the police are watching you, even if you’ve done nothing wrong.

It’s a simple but effective system, one that serves a useful gameplay purpose (by informing the player when they should step carefully) while also fostering an oppressive feeling of judgment.

They also won “Best Overall Storytelling” from Gamespot.

The races are pretty good. On that, I will agree.

As for the best storytelling award from Gamespot and the accolade from Gamasutra, well, I guess they’re entitled to their opinions.

I found that the depiction of Lincoln Clay’s mixed heritage and late-60’s New Bordeaux racism was undermined by the completely typical open-world action gameplay power fantasy. What does prejudice and bigotry matter to someone that’s an unstoppable superhero? The big set-piece mission against the game’s stand-in for the Klan is nothing but a weak attempt at catharsis. You know, the same Klan you’ve been mercilessly killing by the hundreds all along. It’s obvious they wanted to say something in this game, but they whiffed it in favor of pointless collectibles and a half-assed revenge story.

Seriously, I defy anyone to make sense of Cassandra, the leader of the Haitian mob. Lincoln kills Baka, the supposed leader of the Haitians, and Cassandra tricks Clay by pretending to be a captive. She then reveals herself to be the “Voodoo Queen” true leader, then MAGIC HAPPENS and she agrees to be Clay’s underboss. WTF??

That’s good storytelling? Please.

I started the quest called The Voice and was happy to recognize the familiar sound of Lee from Telltale’s The Walking Dead. It’s funny how just having the same voice actor made me immediately like the Mafia 3 character. Lee has got to be one of my favorites of all time.

I have about 4-5 hours played and while I haven’t seen the AI do totally dumb things yet, they do seem slow to react. It seems like in most cases as long as I’m somewhat careful I can just rush armed men and kill them in melee while I take minimal damage. Not if 4 or 5 of them see me at once I would probably get shot up, but if only 1 or 2 see me I can usually handle them in melee.

Like Watch Dogs 2, the city is a marvel to travel through. It seems like building interiors have been reused in missions though. I’m interested in seeing where the story goes.

Play Dreamfall Chapters. Dave Fennoy has an awesome role there. I love his voice so much, now you hyped me for Mafia 3 a bit .)

I’m not usually much of a straight adventure game player but if it has him in it it may be worth it. Just to keep your expectations i check, Dave Fennoy’s role in Maria 3 hasn’t been huge so far - but I’m still pretty early.

Has anyone started having black screen and buzzing problems? After I’ve been playing for 5-10 minutes there is a buzzing sound and the screen turns black. I can’t alt-tab out. Have to reboot. Nothing mentioned in the Windows event viewer. I’ve got an NVidia GTX 970.

I’m hitting that phase of the game where I am struggling whether I should continue or shelve it. I think I’m just short of doing half of the story missions. I’m interested in where the story goes even though I’m not as enthralled with it as much as I initially was and thought I would be. I’m still amazed by the environments in games like this and Watch Dogs 2, well and Witcher 3 for sure too.

While the game play isn’t outright bad, it is fairly mediocre to me. They set up this whole mafia thing, and rackets, but money doesn’t really seem important. It’s pretty easy to find weapons, so I’m just topping off ammo, health shots and grenades. The shooting is OK for a 3rd person action game. As I mentioned above, the enemies seem a bit slow to react, or spend their time talking instead of realizing I’m moving in to bash their face.

I know if I move it back in the queue, the chance of me going back to it is fairly low, so its mostly a now or probably never choice. Does anyone want to make a case for either finishing it or putting it down?

On the plus side my black screen issue seems to have fixed itself as I haven’t had it for a couple days with some multi hour play sessions.

If you haven’t played a mission set on a riverboat, I’d say stick with it until then. It’s a good set piece and the setup and action are above par for the genre.

Get out after that. It never gets any better. The final mission is super-disappointing.

As for the money and weapons, you’re correct. I was able to get through most of the game with just the default shotgun and the first silenced pistol unlock.

I made it to that mission now and then some. I looked at the mission list and I seem oh so close to being finished. I’ve kind of settled into a system of cranking through these missions. Between bum rushing 1 or 2 guys in melee, taking cover and just laying waste to all who approach and lobbing a screaming doll thing followed by a hand grenade I’ve been able to complete missions fairly fast.

I may see if I can finish the game tomorrow, but at the first sign of resistance I think I’ll take your advice and bail.

It seems like they spent all of their effort on creating this cool city and some interesting characters / story, but ran out of money and didn’t add any depth to the game play. The AI can be unresponsive and have death wishes, the battles don’t have any progression really - no new elements are really added, the economy is meaningless.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn’t have paid the $35 or so I paid for this. I would have been happy with it as a $10 game. This is definitely not a must play for me, but it isn’t horrible or anything. Since I made it so far I feel obligated to make an attempt to wrap it up, but like I said if it seems like it will take longer than I expect I’ll bail.

You were right in that the steamboat mission was one of the better ones. It didn’t really add anything new as far as game play, but the level itself was well-done.

Reading this stuff is so depressing knowing the brilliant varied design of the first (and to lesser degree second) game.
And knowing I paid full price for this. And knowing it still runs like shit with no sign of ever getting fixed.

For better or worse I finished it. The part of my personality that has trouble leaving things unfinished (unless they are really bad) is satisfied, but the part of me that wishes I spent my time more wisely is disappointed with myself that I stuck with it. Telefrog was right that you’ve seen everything game play wise without completing it. The fight really are just more of the same, nothing really new about them.

I won’t repeat my criticisms I made earlier, but just say this is very much an “OK” game. Like something that would get a 4 to 6 on a true 10 point scale. I did have a problem with Lincoln’s actions during his final encounter with Sal Marcano. I had trouble believing he actually would sit and have a drink with Sal. Seems like he would have just grabbed him and stuck his dagger through his neck.

In my ending Lincoln left town to start a new life,hopefully a less violent one. Despite being a one man murdering crew it seems like had his circumstances been different he wouldn’t have chosen to become a butcher. Vito became the new boss. I loved having his hit squad at my disposal. That was pretty much an I win button. I was tempted to have him keep power to prevent a monster from taking over, but I couldn’t do that to the Padre.

Sure I could have spent my time playing a better game, but what’s done is done.

I also make it to buy it! Mybe do you have mafia 3 weapon guide? Becouse i want to upgrade my weapons

First DLC hits next month.

3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT “FASTER, BABY!”

We recently chatted with Hangar 13’s Narrative Director, Bill Harms, about Mafia III’s upcoming DLC. We’ll be revealing all of the details on “Faster, Baby!” in the coming weeks, but here’s three things to keep in mind:

We listened to you, our fans, and we’re delivering another killer story. This tightly-told tale gets you right into the action and doesn’t stop. As Bill Harms says himself:

Harms: “We were really humbled by the response to the characters and the story in Mafia III, so we wanted to double-down on that as much as possible, while also providing players with different gameplay experiences. Mafia III focuses on the systematic destruction of Sal Marcano’s empire, racket-by-racket, while all of the expansions tell direct, linear stories."

We’re introducing you to a whole new part of New Bordeaux you’ve never seen before.

This story expansion features intense action, highlighted by thrilling stunt driving and high octane car chases in the bayou!

In the coming weeks, we’ll be revealing much more on “Faster, Baby!” including its incredible new environment, strong female lead, new gameplay mechanics and activities, and of course, the DLC story expansion’s power-crazed antagonist. Stay tuned right here on the Mafia blog and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to get the news right as it hits.

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-iii-the-story-continues-in-2017/

Hmm “Linear” “Direct” “Tightly told” Doesn’t sound good. Still the original description for Mafia III was also awful and yet it ended up being excellent so day 1 I guess.

Take-Two Interactive’s latest financial report revealed the company sold-in 5 million units of Mafia III since launch.

[quote]
Developed by Hangar 13, Mafia III had the highest first week sell-in of any title in 2K’s history, and to date has sold-in approximately 5 million units.[/quote]

Sold-in is sold to retailers which is not as solid as sold-through to consumers. It can be good or bad for the title depending on the retailer agreements and the actual sold-through number. For example, if stores only sold-through 2 million units, Take-Two could be looking at 3 million remaindered units. That said, retail stores typically do not agree to take on more units than they think they will sell because most big-box stores don’t bother with returning unsold stock to distribution as it costs them more money to send them back unless the unsold stock is gigantic. Usually, they will just write off the unsold stock by giving it to charities or selling them to discount store.

First DLC releases March 28th. It looks like the new gameplay additions will be added to the base game.

So I have finally been playing it for real. It is so weird. Technically the game is still a disaster - when driving I had to get used to constant stutter due to variable framerate from 40-60 and there are all kinds of weird graphical glitches, from mirrors being The Twilight Zone, to various reflection working bizzarely and skies switching and other nonsense.

The setpiece quality of first two games is also mostly gone, in 20 hours playing there were like 5 missions that could be compared to missions in Mafia 2, rest is just lazy taking over “bases” like in a FarCry game, basically.

But it is…fun. As in, I realize how lazily the game is designed and how much filler bullshit it has, but due to fun shooting, awesome 60s atmosphere and lovely soundtrack, I am enjoying it anyway. It helps that this is probably the closest I will ever get to having Quarry the videogame.

It’s so frustrating. There are a couple of great, like legitimately terrific, set-piece missions in unique level areas that make the rest of the game seem that much blander.

The early level in the racist carnival funhouse? So damn good. The crazy Jim Crow illustrations coupled with the loudspeaker audio and uncomfortably racist depictions of the swamp witch doctor perfectly sync up with the theme of the game and the story goal of the mission itself. But then you have to do a dozen generic warehouse infiltrations and backyard barbecue raids to get to the next interesting set-piece.