Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

Yeah the amusement park was such a great mission. Such atmosphere. But it was also the best mission in the game so far, which is sad.

Yeah, Mafia 3 is not actually Mafia 3.

It is Farcry 2: 2.

The systemic stealth and action gameplay of taking over the map one by one reminds me so much of it. Of course it is third person, but still.

And I am still enjoying it. It runs badly when driving and there are some bugs and graphical glitches, but the driving, shooting and stealth are done very well.
And it looks quite beautiful and atmospheric when it wants to. The soft look, zero jagged edges and the faded picture produce really nice 60s atmosphere.
The setpiece missions have been great. I wish there were many more of them and less generic ones, but yeah, FarCry 2. Core gameplay is strong enough to support it.

http://abload.de/img/360430_20170218140432ilxit.png

http://abload.de/img/360430_20170218002911uul4d.png

Finished the game. My impression remains positive. The setting and time period is fascinating to me. The open hardcore racism on display, so uncomfortable, this must be the first game to showcase it like that.

I liked the story and the ending in particular, so well done and satisfying, good improvement over Mafia 2’s.

If Hangar 13 added more setpiece missions and made taking over territory voluntary and less formulaic, and fixed up all the bugs and technical rough edges, this could have been another masterpiece.

I like the look of the second two DLC more than the first. But either way I am in! Love this game :)

After seeing the ending, I just want more Donovan, so third DLC is where it’s at for me :)
But they said the first will also deal with some heavy themes, so I am looking forward to all of them really.

Me too! :)

I’m definitely looking forward to the Manson-esque DLC the most, though I’m not going to say no to hanging out with Donovan again.

Hangar 13 recently had openings for a design director, but I can see that not only is Matthias Worch still listed as design director, Mafia 3’s lead gameplay designer was promoted to that position, too, in December. I guess they’re each heading up a DLC?

They’re also working on a future, unannounced AAA game (probably a Mafia sequel).

I see this is 67% off, is the consensus that its worth $20?

I’d personally wait until it’s around $10, maybe $15 knowing what I know after playing it. Earlier in the thread I said I thought it would be a somewhere in the 4-6 range on a 10 point scale. It was a game that some some moments that were quite good, but also many that were pretty mediocre. Some of the story was well done, and then other parts I wondered what they were thinking. The city and surrounding area they created is pretty cool. I guess it depends how many other games you really want to get to. If there isn’t much that interests you right now maybe it’s worth a try at $20, but you aren’t missing anything great if you wait longer.

Summer sale it is then… Thanks @robc04

The first DLC, Faster, Baby! is live. It includes a new area and is narrative-focused, meaning the content doesn’t feature any racket-centric gameplay. It comes in at an 8.8gb update on Steam regardless of whether you’ve purchased the DLC, offering improvements which will be rolled back to the base game, most notably slo-mo driving and throwing grenades while driving, The future dlc packs will bring further improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW8DIyfpBKs

There’s also a demo that offers play through the first act. Dunno how much of the game that entails.

I bought it in a steam sale some weeks ago. Man what a game. Way exceeded my expectations. I loved some of the supporting cast. The player character is a psychopath, but he, the supporting cast and the game know it, so it doesnt lead to ludo-narrative dissonance like GTAIV had.

I loved the world building, the music and the radio. The city is great with great personality. The goons you shoot are unlikable assholes who deserve the bullet in the ass they get. The player verbs; driving and shooting are great as well.

The game takes on some big themes, and not always manages to pull them off. I think it works best when it deals with them tangentially, for example the radio speaches ‘from the hollows’.

There were some moments where it shone on a par with the witcher3, which is no faint praise! The ending for example, or when clay walks out of the church at the beginning of the game. Goosebumps.

First mission of the new DLC? Meet a couple new characters and get into a backwoods car chase. Decent enough. Second mission? Infiltrate a place, kill a bunch of anonymous mooks one at a time, and retrieve X just like you did a million times in the main game. Sigh.

A demo? In what glorious world do games get demos?

In a world where the game doesn’t sell well, and 6 months later it is 70% off. :p

And apparently there is a third mission and then it is over. 15 euros for 2 hours. Hearts of Stone - 10 euros for 25 hours (not to mention the quality). I unexpectedly really, really enjoyed Mafia 3, but they gotta be kidding with this shit.

It’s so weird. I think they meant for the DLC to be played as side missions during the main game. Playing the DLC in one chunk is super unsatisfying. “Here’s a whole bigass map addition! You get two hours of new game. Enjoy!”

Edit: Plus a couple more cars in your virtual garage, a new SMG, and two new outfits? What’s the point?

I was kinda hoping they were looking to “redeem” themselves with the DLCs, they sounded really cool like they would be substantial, almost expansion-like…but no, apparently they don’t care about their reputation at all. I really can’t believe how insanely overpriced and content-free this DLC is…I was looking forward to it.

Well the first couple of drives suggest New Bordeaux is kind of grey and ugly…

… but the story starts off interesting and the shooty bit was good, if a little long. I’d say it’s a positive impression but wonder if it just repeats from here on in.

It repeats over and over. There are cool unique missions too, like 6 or so. But unless you enjoy the core gameplay - driving/shooting/stealth for their own sake, you will probably shelve it.