Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

Quick take: you already have the best one.
My longer take upthread: Mafia 3 - More RICO antics - #282 by RickH

Yes, they are very much worth it if you enjoy the game. They add some unique fun missions and stories.

This is free on Steam for 5 days…

Free to play, I assume. It’s pretty good at first, and very atmospheric.

Unless the 2K social media people are big fans of Fast and Furious memes, some kind of tease for future Mafia, whether that be a ports or a remaster, appears to be underway.

I got about 14 or so hours in (just past the point where you convene all 3 underbosses) when the free trial expired.

If I had been offered a promotional price to keep the game, I probably would have paid it. But, after the promo, it went right up to regular price (CAD $50), so eff that.

Missed opportunity for a sale, Gabe.

Just put it on your isthereanydeal wishlist and before you know it it’ll be at a reasonable price for the whole kit and kaboodle, if not from Steam itself, from GMG, Fanatical, Gamers Gate, GamesPlanet, WinGameStore etc.

After completing Mafia 1 ‘Definitive’, I just picked this up. I started Mafia 2, but it’s a bit dated. They didn’t give it the same re-master love that the original received, and frankly, I’m a bit tired of Italian Mafia tropes. The setting and characters in Mafia III are far more engaging.

I assume, they haven’t done much to definitive-ize Mafia III, since it’s a relatively modern title.

Are there still 3rd party texture packs that improve the look of the game, or is the official version w/ all the patches the best way to go?

I am planning on using this mod once I find time for Mafia 3.

Consider using that story strategy guide I posted awhile back.

Thanks, @lordkosc. The mod is definitely an improvement. I’ll check out the guide, as the game is just starting to open up for me after the initial story beats.

10 bucks on GOG…

If that’s the semi-official looking one I’m thinking of (with a nice-looking web page and all, that basically said, do this first, then this etc.) I think it went away at some point. I had a tab open to it for a long time and one day it came back with a 404. n/m it’s still there!

I want to try that mod out as well.

That’s a steal if it’s the whole-shebang edition. Paging @Gladguy who may still be in the market for it.

Hey, thanks @Papageno! I’ll have a look at it, but I haven’t bought a game in a long time. MS Game Pass & Ubisoft+ have me covered these days!

Hey no worries, my backlog is huge already too, but you said you’d enjoyed what you played of it. Same here. I love the spot-on 1960’s feel, the Detroit steel cars, the music, and the unabashed portrayal of the problems of the period (although I turned 7 in 1968 and definitely did not live in New Orleans or similar, so what do I know).

I wasn’t sure where to put this, since there’s no announcement of the actual game yet. But the Mafia 3 developer’s next game should be announced later this month, and it sounded interesting.

Mafia 3 studio Hangar 13 is said to be working on a title described as “Cthulhu meets Saints Row” while XCOM developer Firaxis is reportedly creating a Marvel-themed turn-based strategy game. And while Take-Two offered no hint as to nature of its “new franchise” in its earnings call, this month’s Gamescom digital event seems a likely candidate for a full reveal.

This thread reminds me that I’ve gotta get back to this game sometime. I enjoyed what I played of it a lot. Love the mix of 1960’s optimism with the oppressiveness of the Southern heat combined with the resentment of unreconstructed racists suddenly getting a bit of their comeuppance 90 years too late. Also love driving around those Detroit-built land yachts on leaf-spring suspensions that passed for cars back then.

Lincoln’s car was the only car for me. I had great control over that beast. Others felt too heavy, or worse, WAY too light.

Trying this out now. 17 hours in having fun.

It’s weird to go back to an old game’s thread and read all the pre-release speculation, launch-day angst, gradual discovery, final impressions, then retrospectives, opinions on patches, DLCs… and then you start the game :)

Mafia 3 may be a bit flawed in its repetitive mission structure and low effort sidemissions, but god damn if it isn’t an amazingly atmospheric and enjoyable action game regardless.
I finished it twice and fully intend to go for a third time on my full trilogy replay sometime.