Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

Gamespot has some new info: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/13-things-we-learned-about-mafia-iii/1100-6438954/

• The game’s framing device is footage from a documentary about the player character.
  • New Bordeaux has 9 districts, including the bayou that has moonshining activities.
  • Your 3 main underlings give different advantages, and showing one more favor than the others will cause trouble
  • Burke gives the player more NPC helpers in combat
  • Vito gives better weapons and gear
  • Cassandra can cut off enemy reinforcements
  • You can capture territory heads and make them work for you

Great PC Gamer hands-on impressions. Having to divvy up districts between your lieutenants and their gang sounds really exciting and tying the decision to unique perks will hopefully force the player to make tough decisions.

Neglect any lieutenant for too long, and they’re going to get angry, convinced that I’m screwing them over and tipping the balance of power in favour of one of the other two gangs. The problem is, sometimes I have to. Sometimes the perks delivered by one lieutenant in exchange for a hand-out will be exactly what I need at the time, be they new weapons, increased fire support on missions, better health recovery, or anything else from the raft of bonuses that come with long-term loyalty. Sometimes I can’t be fair. This is one of those times.

I hand the territory to the already-flush Cassandra, and Burke goes ballistic. Vito is pissed too, and his upset cuts deep as he compares me unfavourably to long lost friends from Mafia II—Vito was that game’s protagonist, and goddamnit I wish I was giving him a happier retirement—but the Irish boss is definitely the biggest problem. He tells me that this is my last chance. He tells me that if I screw him one more time, it’s all over. Although developer Hangar 13 is keeping very quiet about what this means, I strongly suspect that I might soon be dealing with more than one enemy faction if I’m not careful.

Hehe, I wonder if shipping the week before GOW4 is a dig at Rod Ferguson for jumping ship? :)

Day 1? Pffft! I’m day -170.

Took me 3 days to bother looking at the trailer. Should have done so earlier, it looks awesome.

This looks so good, can’t wait…

City will have 9 unique districts.

Yesterday IGN hosted a Mafia 3 stream which showed off the criminal ecology system, the sit downs where you divvy up your empire and unlock unique perks, and the unique missions of the various districts. 20 minutes of gameplay, cutscenes, and commentary here.

Link to the E3 Trailer here.

Live-action marketing:

Life like graphics! ;)

I’d of preferred more in game stuff be shown.

That was very cool.

Districts overview:

$31.67…

Looks good, gives me a GTA5 vibe, the districts look unique, I love the time period they are focusing on. .

That does look really good. The only thing I’m worried about is that by going open world it will lose the story focus and add too much repetitive icon chasing. I liked Mafia 2 a lot.

… where they did go open world but pretended they hadn’t.

Much like Mafia 2 ditched a lot of Mafia, Mafia 3 looks like it will ditch Mafia 2.

Gamescom trailer: The Heist.

I haven’t played Mafia 2 yet, but yeah, I loved that about Mafia. They created this huge open world city, and then set a linear adventure/action story within it. So the city was just flavor and setting for the story, nothing more. It seemed like such an expensive thing to do from a budgetary standpoint though. And then I heard they did the same with Mafia 2. So kudos to them. Despite all these districts, who knows, maybe they’re doing the same with Mafia 3?

(Warning: music nerd rant ahead)

So I was looking forward to Mafia 3. Loved the music in the previous games, loved the period atmosphere. Was really, really looking forward to a game set in New Orleans in the 1960s.

Now the track list for the soundtrack is out. Lots of solid choices. A good soundtrack, in fact. There’s just one niggling detail …

There is no music from New Orleans on it.

No NOLA music on a game about NOLA. NOLA being a city world-famous for its music. Set in the 60s, when New Orleans music was at its peak and Allen Toussaint was writing and producing hits that were all over the charts.

It’s like someone promising you authentic gumbo and then giving you tomato soup out of a can with some cold cocktail shrimp dumped in it.

My interest in Mafia 3 has suddenly plummeted.

*And no, Clifton Chenier doesn’t count - that’s rural LA, totally different.

In that Rolling Stones article:

[quote]
In an unusual narrative device, the game is framed as a tourist video being watched in 2016, about the events of 1968 and Lincoln’s actions.[/quote]

What? Did we all know this before?