Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

What the hell were they thinking with a locked 30fps on PC? Seriously, Hangar 13. Get your shit together.

Grand Theft Auto V remains the king of PC setting options for an open-world game. Gripe about the delay all you want, but they did some quality porting there.

Yeah, I preordered this. Fuck sake. Are we sure this is intentional and not a “whoops, wrong build folks!” issue that will be corrected very shortly? The game’s not out yet for me (UK) but if it’s an intentional thing then heaven knows what the console performance will be like.

A message to our PC players
10/6/2016

We know how important having options that best suit your PC’s performance capabilities are. The team has been hard at work ensuring that Mafia III’s performance is consistent across all platforms, and right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second. We are currently working on an update for PC that will give players the option to play Mafia III at higher framerates. We’ll share more details about the update, and when you can expect it to arrive, very soon. In the meantime, the team welcomes feedback and would like to hear from you about what performance adjustment options are important to you. We’re actively considering a number of additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game’s experience to suit their rig’s performance. It’s been an incredible journey developing Mafia III and we couldn’t be more excited to get the game in your hands and hear what you think!

These idiots are acting like this is the first PC game ever released in history. What were those 2K Czech programmers doing there ? Modelling dumpsters ?

They’ll be modelling dumpster fires soon.

The Steam reviews are already tanking.

Ah well, will be a great game to pick up in the steam holiday sale at least!

What the hell were they thinking releasing a PC game in 2016 that can’t run at 60 FPS? Even after they fix it, it will maintain a reputation for being a bad port. Such a dumb move.

Yep. This dumbness really blows my mind.
Imagine. You work on a game for 5 years. Probably crunching lot of the time. You build a new studio for it.

And then you release it with 30fps lock.

Just…

• Locked 30fps.
  • No texture resolution/quality option other than the “global quality” setting

Jackasses.

Oh and from the screens I have seen, there is a heavy dose of vaseline blur over everything, so it looks like it permanently runs at low resolution. Mafia 2 seems to honestly look better. I just… don’t even

I was anticipating this game, but not enough to grab it at release. I haven’t even finished Deus Ex.

So now they’ll frantically patch to appease the PC crowd and avoid the bad pub (too late), and by the time I grab this on sale, it’ll be much more polished.

I’m guilty of pre-ordering this. Hard to believe in 2016 this is locked at 30 fps. What the hell were they thinking?

They might be upscaling, which is what Quantum Break does and causes that effect. If you run it natively (upscaling off), it looks like it should but the framerate tanks.

Whew. Very nearly pre-ordered this, and then realized that with doing some stuff for the front page and also some social commitments, I probably wouldn’t get around to playing any of it before November anyway.

Held off.

So glad.

They’d better hope the game they released at 30fps is fucking perfect in all other respects or this will get ugly fast. On the bright side, you’ll probably be able to pick up the deluxe version very cheap very soon through your favourite key reseller.

Giantbomb’s stream was really positive, but I’m not playing until the 60fps patch drops.

Oh, and if you go 4K, enjoy that teeny HUD.

4K image

That reminds me of early 3D games like Jedi Knight. When played at 1600x1200, I could hardly make out the HUD at all.

That is a tiny HUD.

Between these resolution and fps issues and the fact that clothing and car customization options have to released as post-launch updates, I’m getting the feeling this was pushed out the door early.