Mafia 3 - More RICO antics

RPS very not impressed so far… John Walker lays in.

Tom streamed the game yesterday:

I’m just a couple hours in, but so far I’m having a fantastic time with it. The world design and story are what I’ve enjoyed most about the Mafia series, and this game is ticking those boxes for me. Plus, it looks nice, and has a great soundtrack.

Game CTD’d after one of the cut-scenes. I’ll wait for a patch or two before jumping back in.

John Walker calls Mafia 2 garbage…

I have been replaying it most of the weekend and it is anything but.

Oh really? How does it stack up to 2 in your opinion? I expect I will pick it up, but not for a while. On top of The Crew and GTA V I’ve been doing a lot of automotive Americana.

PATCH 1.01 is live.

UPDATE [10/8 / 3PM PT]: PC players, reboot Mafia III because patch 1.01 is now available for download. This patch includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options on PC. To select your framerate, just head to the display menu in-game. Just make sure to tailor the framerate settings to the power of your machine. This patch also includes improvements to keyboard remapping, so head to the controls menu to check out the options. Note: this patch resets keyboard mapping to default, so any changes you made to the controls previously will need to be customized after installing the patch.

We aren’t done with fixes and updates and will continue to listen to our community for ways to improve your experience in New Bordeaux. And check here to see what content updates we have in the works, including outfit swapping, races, and more.

And now we know why they locked the framerate.

The game is insanely CPU hungry. Insanely, considering it does NOTHING to warrant that hunger, compared to Mafia 2 or GTA V or Witcher 3 or any other open world game.

With framerate unlocked and vsync off and everything set to lowest, I still cannot get stable constant 60+ fps while driving around the city. It jumps around between 35 to 60. All four of my cores are running at 100% while my GPU runs only at 50%, basically just doing nothing while the CPU is dying under load. This is with 2500K at 4ghz and GTX 1070.

It is a piece of shit, tech-wise. Total, utter, piece, of shit. Too bad I bought it outside Steam and cannot refund it. Since it is basically unenjoyable for me and I doubt they will ever manage to optimize it.

I only played for around 90 minutes of M3. But I finished Mafia 2 twice and am in the middle of third playthrough. I love M2 for its atmosphere, story, car physics, mission design. It is not as good as the first game which was more ambitious, had more content and even better story, but it’s still great.

I wish Mafia 3 was in much better technical state (Mafia 1 and 2 were amazing, techwise) so I could actually enjoy it :(

Oh hang on you were talking about Walker’s view of 2 - I thought you disagreed with his view of 3. You’re more of the same mind there it sounds like :/

Tried the new patch set at 60fps with no other changes (1080p, max settings, GTX970) and I get around 38-45fps outdoors but it’s too jumpy. I put the 30fps limiter back on.

Turned volumetric effects and ambient occlusion to low. Everything else on high. I hit 60, but it fluctuates from 45-65 depending on what’s going on. That’s too much variance for me. Feels jittery.

I’ll just keep it at 30.

Too bad. I guess GTA V and The Witcher 3 will remain the gold standard for open-world tech on PC.

loads up Mafia 2 to complete it for the 3rd time

smugly skims various threads on Mafia 3

I’m getting a smooth and steady 60fps at 1680x1050 with the cap raised on my machine.

I just finished Mafia 2 (my third playthrough) and agree with Paul… it’s a great game that has aged well and still looks fantastic. Driving is fun and the music is enjoyable (some of the songs I recognize from watching GoodFellas). I probably shouldn’t play M3 right after M2, because it’s a tough act to follow. And 60fps. I’ll try to keep an open mind when playing M3 (I’m already disappointed that they put stupid floaty icons above the Playboy magazines, which are supposed to be a challenge to find… sigh).

I guess we will. And some Vargas art as well.

Liking the first couple of hours so far, not much openness yet, but then that’s consistent with Mafia 2. The focus appears to be far more on cinematic-style storytelling than freedom. But what gunplay there was, was decent.

That sounds like it could’ve been a cross-gen game at some point. Ports of games from the previous gen showed the same symptoms - high cpu and low gpu utilization.

AJ is working on his review, he put this up this rant in the meantime. Some cussing and skybox dissing. :p

Sadly he says there is a lot of repetition ( a certain mission type has to be done 32 times?) and the story gets boring as you play. :|

Comparison of attention to detail between Mafia 2 and mafia 3

And the same for Mafia 1 and Mafia 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1YMeY07xI

In other news, I finished my third playthrough of Mafia 2 couple hours ago. Still a great game, even if it is visible at times how much stuff had to be cut. And I still don’t like the abrupt ending. I like its idea, but not its execution. It was not nearly as satisfying as the ending of Mafia 1. Other than that though, great game. Still beautiful graphics, fantastic car physics and driving and shootouts filled with PhysX destruction effects which are just awesome (and I could finally enjoy them without framerate drops).

Now I guess I will try playing Mafia 3, if I can somehow get used to that 30fps bullshit.

Love the Jesus cop, and a bit later with the sniper. :D

Also best review!