Mafia is way too hard

Wow, this is not fun. Why is this game so hard? My God the controls make me want to scream, there’s no save game, and apparently no freaking cheat codes. Tell me it’s not true. I’ve played the same mission like a dozen times now. There’s precious little health anywhere to be found. Once you get all shot up, you might as well start the mission over.

There is something to be said for a game that doesn’t force you to replay a scenario several times before you finally figure out how to get through it in one piece.

And a lot to be said about that ****ing Church mission…

When Mafia’s good, it’s really, really good. But when it’s bad, it’s a frisbee set.

Thank you for bringing up the memory of the race mission. I must now reinstall Mafia, smash through a couple dozen police cars in the Black Metal 4WD and cool down by smoothly crusing around in the Manta Prototype. Which in reality is a 1938 Phantom Corsair. I think.

Damn you race mission!

The on foot controls are typical FPS/3FPS type controls, are you using a controller for driving? I found switching to a joystick for the driving especially the race made it easier. Which mission are you stuck on. I have been thinking about replaying the game, maybe I can go back in my saves and replay the mission you are on.

– Xaroc

Thanks, Xaroc. You can download all the save games from the developers web site. I don’t find that to be a very satisfying resolution.

FWIW, I was stuck on the one where you’re collecting money from the business in the country. I’m at the last part where you have to chase the guy in the car down. I’ve managed to get him to pull over once in a dozen or so attempts, but he shot me dead before I could get him.

I would just like to go into god mode and watch the story unfold. Or, at least I should be able to add more health and ammo at will. I have little tollerance for frustrating games. I am probably going to e-bay it and look for something else.

Shooter recommendations anyone? The last two games I played that I liked were NOLF2 and Vietcong.

Try Tron 2.0 for hard. Mafia is cake compared to Tron.

They are both pretty tough, but at least Tron’s F5 key works!

The secret to gunfights in Mafia is to use the Thompson whenever possible, crouch, and fire it in single shots. Isn’t the sequel supposed to come out soon?

The other secret to Mafia is to download a trainer to defeat certain aspects of the game. Being able to drive around town as fast as you want certainly removes much of the tedium.

Tim, if you shoot out his tires while driving along, he will have a much harder time getting away.

The best way to beat the first mission is to walk away from the computer. I was playing it when a kid fight erupted, and I missed the pause key as I got up. When I came back a few minutes later, my car had stopped against a light pole, and the mobsters in the back had killed the other mobsters in the ensuing gunfight.

There was one mission that I remember doing over and over and over. It was the one in the parking garage.

Overall though I thought it was great. I know many people hate the removal of quicksave but to me it gave me a good sense of danger.

(Hey this ain’t soup! It’s a can of WORMS i just opened!) :P

I thought it was fantastic and didn’t mind the difficulty. I didn’t really get stuck on anything but always ‘barely’ accomplished the missions. The race is cake with a ps2 controller though.

Sounds like the one in the demo. That mission told me this game was for somebody else…

I almost gave up on Mafia a few times. If I can’t beat a mission after a few tries, I would quit and go back to it later (maybe play some Zoo Tycoon to calm me down). At one point I was down to about 9 health when the game did an autosave on me, and I still had to take out a barn full of bad guys. Worse still, I had to make sure my stupid AI partner didn’t get shot up. I lost count of how many replays I went through to finish that one off.

Don’t get me started on the final mission… :evil:

I did find Mafia easier than GTA3, a game I have yet to complete. I like driving around at 40mph instead of the ridiculous speeds of GTA. Mafia had a sort of leisurely pace to it, punctuated by intense gun fights.

I’m actually thinking of playing Mafia again. It really is a fun game despite the difficulty (though I have no plans of replaying the final mission).

BTW, don’t forget that the enemy can run out of bullets. Then they’ll come after you with a knife and you can easily gun them down.

As much as I loved Mafia, it really did need either a difficulty setting or a save anywhere feature.

Does anyone know if the team that made the game are working together on another project?

Thanks, Xaroc. You can download all the save games from the developers web site. I don’t find that to be a very satisfying resolution.
[/quote]

I was just going to see which mission it was and give you some tips on how to beat it.

– Xaroc

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound ungrateful. I guess I just found the lack of save or difficulty slider pretty frustrating and wanted to vent.

Not to take this thread off track, but it’s interesting how different people find different games to be incredibly difficult.

I thought parts of Mafia were challenging, but I never got frustrated with it (I was using the joystick for driving, so the race wasn’t too difficult). I honestly found it to be one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played in a long time. But, then again, I love FPSes.

I also used to love racing games. Some Gameboy racing game was mentioned elsewhere as being too difficult/challenging (FX-Zero or something like that), and Dave Long wrote a piece about how it wasn’t frustrating, it was challenging. Project Gotham Racing was mentioned as an alternative that was better because you didn’t have to win the race, you could drive stylishly. I’ve played PGR for about 2 hours since I bought it a year ago, and would never, ever, recommend it to anyone – largely because it’s too difficult and too frustrating (the “fuck up once and you need to start over” ethos of these games drives me nuts!) I guess that design makes sense if you want to a) get closer to creating a racing sim or b) get lazy and design fewer levels.

Either way, I think that peoples’ tolerance for what’s frustrating varies quite a bit. When I frequented arcades 15 years ago, I used to play nothing but driving games (well, except for the occasional round of Ikari Warriors, of course!), and I was pretty damn good at them. I find racing games on the consoles to be obnoxiously frustrating, both because of what I perceive the design ethos to be and the fact that gamepads are incredibly poorly suited for racing games.

Anyway, just a slightly dissenting voice to say that we all have different frustration thresholds.

Aleck

I know Mafia is headed to consoles, though I have no idea if a sequel is in production. (I would imagine so, but you never know.)

I know Mafia is headed to consoles, though I have no idea if a sequel is in production.
Yeah, Mafia 2 should be in the making. I don’t think it has been officially announced so far, but Take 2’s fiscal report mentioned sequels to Mafia and Vietcong.

Interesting – my experience has been the opposite. PGR has held my interest while most other racing games have not. Part of it is surely due to the “pellet rich” (as in rat getting a food pellet) gameplay – you can be constantly rewarded with more kudos as the race goes on, but there’s still tension as you may lose a gigantic combo with one small mistake. I would consider some parts of PGR frustrating, but because of the generally short race times, I don’t mind restarting and playing a level over.

The other thing that hooked me was soundtrack support, but that’s a whole 'nother story (and a feature that I’m sure some people don’t care for). :D

Interesting – my experience has been the opposite. PGR has held my interest while most other racing games have not. Part of it is surely due to the “pellet rich” (as in rat getting a food pellet) gameplay – you can be constantly rewarded with more kudos as the race goes on, but there’s still tension as you may lose a gigantic combo with one small mistake. I would consider some parts of PGR frustrating, but because of the generally short race times, I don’t mind restarting and playing a level over.

The other thing that hooked me was soundtrack support, but that’s a whole 'nother story (and a feature that I’m sure some people don’t care for). :D[/quote]

I definitely liked PGR but hit a wall in it about 3-5 hours of playtime into it. I wouldn’t recommend it to any kind of casual player because after an hour they would be toast.

– Xaroc