Mafia: Trilogy, including full remake of masterpiece Mafia: City of Lost Heaven

Mafia 1 is one of those memorable stories. 2 & 3 tried to replicated but didn’t come close. It’s there alongside Bioshock 1 and other classics. I’ve no problem paying full price for a remaster, however 2K don’t have the best rep. I’ll wait and see the reviews before paying fulll price to destroy cherished Mafia 1 memories.

I am in the same boat - my post assumed the quality would be up there. But I am definitely gonna wait for reviews and impressions because while Mafia 1 remake could easily be GOTY tied with Cyberpunk, it could also easily be a buggy clusterfuck. I mean these jokers tried launching PC version of Mafia 3 with 30fps cap ffs. And to this day there are bizzare graphical problems in Mafia 3 that they never bothered to fix (stuttery blurry bizzare clouds, twilight zone mirrors…). And so far these two “remasters” of M2 and M3 looks like an extremely mixed bag as well.

If they haven’t bothered with upgrades for XBO X and PS4 Pro for Mafia 3 it would be disappointing.

I always find it hilarious when people complain about the race mission.

This. You know what happens when you remaster a highly complex game? 9 times out of 10 you produce way more bugs than the original had just remaking the old systems, plus the new bugs from the new physics and graphics systems. Lower expectations, peeps.

Cool, I have only played 2 and 3. Sounds like I’ll need to get the first one since so many here seem to like it a lot.

Wait! I’d hate for you to experience an absolute remastered shadow of the original. If they pull this off correctly, keeping the story, music, atmosphere and overall “original” feeling of #1, they’ve done a fantastic job. I just got a feeling that they’re gonna “f*ck” it up and focus on the graphics and lose what made #1 so great in the first place.

God damn it! Do you know how much time I spent of that god damn pre-patch race!!!

Note: No apologies for excessive exclamation point usage.

I never got past this race…

That makes me angrier about the hundreds of times I attempted the race. I put the game aside until the patch came out.

It was too bad, because Mafia was slated to be the first of its kind, but then GTA stole its thunder. Aside from the race, it was a super impressive game. My most anticipated for a long while, as a big fan of the developers earlier Hidden and Dangerous game.

I can wait to see what the impressions of the remake are. Hopefully they do a good job!

Yup, I did that.

I adored the first Mafia game. So good. I just hope my i7 6700 and 1080 card can handle the remake.

Oh, Hidden and Dangerous 1 and 2-- has there been anything quite like that since? A classic Rainbow 6-like except in WW2 as badass OSS/SAS types?

I see the full trilogy is now available as a bundle on Steam with 34% off. However, the math just isn’t working for me. I have 2 & 3 already, 1 is €39.99 and the bundle is €39.59. Nice discount.

How strange. When I search in my Steam library, for Mafia, I see Mafia 1, Mafia 2 (Classic) and Mafia 3 (Definitive). Yet if I visit the store page for Mafia 2 Definitive, it says I own it already. So I’m installing :)

Is it worth playing the new Mafia II now or should I wait for the remaster of the first one and start with that?

I personally would wait and play them in order. While all three games are separate stories, there is a link between each. The link between 1 to 2 is worth experiencing in order.

Yup. The story link for 1 and 2 is good. The one in 3 is almost an Easter Egg. Easily standalone.

Well, the only thing Definitive about Mafia 3 is that it now includes all the DLC. So if you didn’t have that before you have it now. That’s why it’s not a separate entry.

EDIT: Strange-- I now see my once-vanilla Mafia III (but with all the story DLCs) listed as the Definitive Edition in my library, at least in the Android Steam app. Also apparently I do not have Mafia 1 on Steam, bleh. I don’t suppose I can validate my old CD key from the old boxed version which I still have…

I specifically chose to buy it on GOG, which handles older games better. Double bleh.