Magic: Legends - Magic the Gathering the ARPG

It’s Cryptic. What did you guys think they were making?

We didn’t really know, right? But we were hoping for something closer to the old MicroProse game than some 3rd person Neverwinter night thing where you spam your spells on cool-down as abilities. Or whatever this ends up looking like. Blast.

Shandalar is based on MTG circa 1995 and it’s glorious for it. I think it was a lot worse as a game between two players back in those days, but the structure back then was great for a game like this, where getting your moxen and everything was just part of the progression.

I could see someone making a card pool for the game that allows for crazy stuff while making creatures and creature-based decks more appealing, though. It would just take some doing, and it probably wouldn’t look like Standard in 2017.

How will Cryptic simulate this:

very carefully

If you signed up for the beta, check your emails.

We got a trailer, and they have full shifted away from an MMO model and into a action RPG (I assume more Path of Exile than Diablo III in that it’s free to play, but I honestly am just guessing based on how they were originally going to be an MMO).

Here is a trailer that explains “deck building” and the gameplay, and honestly I think this sounds pretty cool.

An ARPG with consumable powers that cycle out randomly on your quick cast control? In a F2P game?

I’ll have to see more, but right now that sounds awful.

Glad to see they’re shifting gears to something else. I played in the Alpha when it was an MMO, and my main feedback was “booooooring”.

This looks much more interesting.

This take on equipment/itemization looks clever and fun.

Nice! Ive gotten a few invites to their closed beta, but ignored it, because nothing about it seemed interesting, and it was timed betas, which I don’t much enjoy.

But this seems quite interesting, and well done! Particularly that they understand the “looking good” part is important!

Big news! Open Beta starts March 23rd!

Probably should change the title on this one, now that we know it, @Telefrog Especially if it’s going to be going into Open Beta soon.

Diablo: The Gathering? I’m in. :)

Done!

This looks so much more intriguing than the original game. Give me swarms of bad guys and big huge numbers flying all over the screen…I’m pretty easy to please.

Open Beta Pre-load available:
https://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1372986234780348416?s=20

What to expect in the beta (starting 3/23):

This is live now! I played for like 4 minutes at lunch, so I don’t have any opinions except nothing about the experience was bad or anything. It did feel like a beta though, with lip synch issues in cut scenes and a general lack of polish in the opening story stuff, but just a bit. The gameplay seemed fine, but I need to play some more. Just letting folks know it’s playable.

I just did about 20 minutes or so. It’s still pretty unpolished…very choppy on my (admittedly crappy) video card. I assume that stuff will get better, like Neverwinter and STO before it.

Not sure they can polish the basic gameplay loop which is verrrrry familiar, but we’ll see.