Magic Online - I took the plunge

Did anyone here play the battletech card game? I really liked that one and I thought it wasn’t as necessary to constantly buy new cards if you had a deck that worked well with your strategy.

Ok, my current investment so far:

$2.26 for a 4X set of Legions commons (4 copies of 45 cards)
$6.01 for a 4X set of 7th edition commons (4 copies of 110 cards I think)
$2.01 for a 4X set of 5 uncommon zombies
$4.36 for a 4X set of 10 uncommon goblins
$6.58 for 2 8th edition boosters (bad use of $)
$3 for tickets that I traded for lands and other misc. cards.

So I’ve spent about $24 (would be $34 if I had to buy the starter set I got in a press kit) and have 928 cards. I’m missing a lot of the fancy cards, but I can build decent decks with what I have, I think. I’ll do that for a month or so and if I’m doing ok then I’ll spend the money to enter league play, perhaps.

Quick question: can you still use the 7th edition cards? I thought they were replaced by 8th edition? I haven’t had a chance to get into it yet, but I thought I read something like that.

There seem to be a zillion different match formats, many of which don’t allow some 8th edition cards. They’re not forcing players to buy 8th edition.

There are 8th edition leagues, however. I think they cost about $20 in cards for four weeks of play.

OMG, Underdogs has Microprose MTG? I’ve been looking for that forever. (And I have the CD for that one, but it’s worn out. It’s that good.) Definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to learn MTG, the single player AI is pretty challenging and it’s a good way to learn the rules (albeit as of 6-7 years ago).

I wish WOTC offered a service plan where for 10 bucks a month (or something) you could compete in an unlimited number of sealed deck tournaments and just not keep any of the cards.

Shandlar was fun. Alas, I have been unable to play it since I upgraded my computer. There is no check to limit game speed based on processor speed, so characters in Shandlar run around at light speed on a fast computer making the game virtually unplayable. Unfortunately I had no luck trying to slow things down by running MoSlo.

Shandlar was fun. Alas, I have been unable to play it since I upgraded my computer. There is no check to limit game speed based on processor speed, so characters in Shandlar run around at light speed on a fast computer making the game virtually unplayable. Unfortunately I had no luck trying to slow things down by running MoSlo.[/quote]

I was still running 98 on a machine until several months ago. Have not tried it on ME. I guess I should before I break down and do the XP thing. I may never get to play it again. :cry:

7th Edition cards absolutely still “work” in the system, and if you are playing casual, you can play either Open (no rules whatsoever) or Online Extended (every card ever made online is valid). There are tons of games of these forms being played all the time, so finding an opponent in the casual room is unlikely to be an issue.

Tournament play, and “Standard” casual games (which are the most common in casual play, but only as a plurality) require cards from the most current base set (cycles every 2 years), and the two most recent card blocks (which come out every year). So right now that’s 8th Edition, Odyssey Block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgement), and Onslaught Block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge).

A lot of cards in 7th went right over into 8th, and you don’t need the 8th Edition specific version of those cards to still play them. Also if you have 7th Edition boosters, you will have no problem turning those into 8th Edition boosters (maybe even picking up a ticket in the process).

Also note for people who want to go the “Asher Way” and play casual for as cheap as possible – there are variant formats like Highlander (only 1 of any card) and Tribal Wars (all your critters have to share a type, like goblins) that can help level the playing field against the hardcore players. Not only because the card requirements are easier, but the hardcore players tend to stick only to the tournament formats, so you tend to find a more casual level of competition.

Well, I took the plunge, and it was like a painful fall into an ice cold bath. I just played 2 cringe worthy games with me mostly wrestling with the interface. In both games I was never sure when the stops were coming and what I could do at them. I had two crossbow guys that could have been helpful (tap 1 plain for 1 point of damage) if I could have used them in conjunction to do 2 points of damage to one creature a turn. Well, I couldn’t figure out when to tap them and even when I got one to tap, the damage was resolved before I could use the other. It was a pretty frustrating experience.

The crossbow guys can only use their ability against a creature that’s attacking or blocking. They can’t be tapped, either.

Those kinds of cards are the trickier ones to play. I’m still having trouble with stuff like that, but it gets easier the more I play. My first decks were mostly fast creature decks. The creatures are easy to play for the most part.

Send me a mail, sten dot friberg at fyfa dot ki dot se, and I’ll show you where the hotwater faucet is, to make that bath warm and comfy.

I usually put stops in the Declare Attackers and Declare Blockers phases, just for cases like that. It’s easy enough to pass control back if you don’t have anything exciting to do.

I just noticed that a huge collection of Magic Online cards has been bid up to $8100 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3141232817&category=19113

That’s a lot of real money for virtual cards.

Wow, I wonder if that bid is legit. 'Cuz my collection is about that size, and if I could get even half that for it I’d sell it and start over in a heartbeat.

Must be a fake bid. Someone jumped it from $300 to $5000. I don’t know a lot about eBay, but the high bidders have no bidding history, so they must be dummy accounts.

My guess is someone wanted the collection and created the dummy accounts to inflate the bid and discourage others from bidding on it in hopes the seller would work his way down the list of buyers until he finds a legitimate bid.

Whow wait Mark, you’re puchasing virtual MtG:Online cards on Ebay or the physical ones? Why am I confused?

If you can get virtual cards on ebay, that might tip the balance for me to join.

— Alan

Alan, I’m buying virtual cards via eBay. You still have to trust the seller and meet him in-game to get the cards, but so far I haven’t been burned. I think it’s pretty safe.

You can get a 4X set of commons for a particular set (Judgement, Onslaught, Legions, etc.) for between $5-10 usually. I haven’t purchased a 4X set of uncommons, but they go for more, as you’d expect – the $20-30 range. Rares tend to be sold in individual lots, either singles or 4X sets.

You can also trade online in the game. There’s a room for that typically full of players wheeling and dealing. I got a Goblin King last night for two tickets ($2).

If you’re willing to stick to buying commons, you can get a lot of cards for cheap via eBay. I have a 4X set of Legion, 7E, and Judgement commons, and I spent a total of $14.57 – I got lucky and got the Legions for $2.25.

I just wanted to add that it can still be a moneypit. I decided to join a league and I went for an 8E league. I had to buy five 8E boosters and two tickets to enter the league, so I spent $18.45. Then, after the first week, players are allowed to buy a new booster each week, so I’ll probably spend another $9.87. That’s $28 for a month’s play.

The leagues are fun though. You’re always playing against players who have the same number of cards as you and you can play as many matches as you want, though only the first five matches each week affect your score. The other matches only count if you win, and then only as a tiebreaker at the end of the league for determining final standings.

One more thing – do an eBay search on MTGO to find the virtual card listings, if you’re interested.