Magic: The Gathering Arena - Another MtG video game

It’s been up the last 20 minutes or so.

Doesn’t look like there’s any rollback going on for affected accounts. I’m sitting on 40 additional mythic rare wildcards and around 100 common / uncommon ones (every pack also contained a common/uncommon wildcard). Apparently noone in NA got them all, which probably means most people were unaffected and you won’t suddenly see every man and his dog with all the best RNA mythics all of a sudden.

Reports on the subreddit are that Wizards is freezing affected accounts and reverting the wildcard counts.

Dear God…so many…red…decks.

I finally got tired of being stuck in Gold 1 slugging it out with red decks and mostly losing. I realized I had the makings of 90% of a pretty good RNA Esper Control deck. So after blowing almost all of my rare wildcards, I built a (so far) working Control deck that’s finally got me into Platinum 3. Don’t have quite the full mana base, but I figure if I can fix that I might have a shot at Diamond.

That’s awesome, I’ve been fiddling with various deck builds to fight through the mono-red aggro morass and make it to Platinum. Not got their yet.

I wish I had some wild cards, I think Simic Ascendancy might actually be standard viable, and I want to experiment with some ideas I’ve had for a shell.

So, are you going to share your deck list, charmtrap?

I just built a white weenie lifegain anti-burn deck to fight against this meta trend, and of course now I’m never matching up against it. Sigh.

I’ve seen maybe 3 red-burn decks in the last few days? I see a lot more red-green Riot.

Red/Green Riot is a blast.

Can do.

It’s kind of a hybrid of Noxious’ Esper deck and CovertGoBlue’s version. Unfortunately I don’t have all the cards for either, so I had to make some concessions for that: Cleansing Nova instead of a full playset of Kaya’s Wrath (though Nova gives me some extra enchantment-hate, which is coming in handy in the new environment, I’m finding), Syncopates instead of the full set of Absorbs, etc.

It seems to work pretty well…at least at the Gold/low Platinum level. I’m sure I’ll need full playsets and better mana if I have a prayer of sniffing Diamond, let alone Mythic.

3 Kaya’s Wrath (RNA) 187
3 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) 207
2 Warrant // Warden (RNA) 230
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
3 Vraska’s Contempt (XLN) 129
3 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
2 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Absorb (RNA) 151
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
1 Chromium, the Mutable (M19) 214
1 Dovin’s Acuity (RNA) 168
2 Syncopate (DAR) 67
2 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9

3 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Meandering River (M19) 253
3 Forsaken Sanctuary (M19) 250
4 Submerged Boneyard (M19) 257
3 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
2 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
2 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

Looks nice.

I’m still sceptical that any of the three mana counter spells are better than Sinister Sabotage. How are you finding Absorb?

It’s good against red. Lifegain beats Surveil anytime in that environment.

I’m given to understand that the RDW hordes begin to thin out in Diamond, so I may rethink Absorb if I ever reach that point.

Whew. After a couple of weeks taking one step forward and two back at Platinum tier 1, I finally broke through to Diamond last night. I never thought I’d get to Plat, let alone Diamond, so I’m really pleased with my rank and suddenly all pressure is off to win. Or perhaps that’s just the fact that I can’t derank below Diamond.

I finally broke through with a fairly typical White Weenies deck, slightly tweaked (no Adanto Vanguard, replaced with Hunted Witnesses). It made sense for a burn heavy meta, but is also fast enough to get under many of the turbo fog control decks that are around.

Decklist!

It’s nothing special, but it worked:

4 Ajani’s Pridemate (M19) 5
4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
4 Healer’s Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Leonin Vanguard (M19) 22
4 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
20 Plains (XLN) 261
2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
4 Legion’s Landing (XLN) 22
2 Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants (M19) 3
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
2 Martyr of Dusk (RIX) 14
2 Baffling End (RIX) 1

3 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
2 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
1 Banefire (M19) 130
1 Mountain (XLN) 273
1 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
3 Tocatli Honor Guard (XLN) 42
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6

Only 2 Conclave Tribunal!? I play white weenie alot too, but only sitting on the tip of Gold 1, never even considered running less tribunals.

I used to run 4 Conclave Tribunals but with the prevalence of the mono red decks now it’s really important to have some early, cheap answers to deal with their Runaway Steamkins and hasty Lavarunners. So I swapped out two for the Baffling Ends.

That’s a pretty cool deck…I’ll have to try it, if I can find a way to get a second Ajani and 2 more History of Benalia’s.

e: ohhhhhh, dear…4 Benalish Marshals gonna be a problem since I don’t have any.

They’re a very important part of the deck, it’s pretty much game over if you can stick 2. They work really well in a bunch of white decks, so if you end up spending the wildcards, you’ll get some value out of them. You can probably cut to 3, if that helps.

Might be out of the question since I’m out of rare wildcards completely…at least until I get a wild hair up my nose and drop another $50 on this game, which I’m sure is coming.