Magic: The Gathering Arena - Another MtG video game

Not sure about that.

But I just came across the ‘Resolve All’ button, which is excellent. Playing against white just became bearable.

Thought I’d share a current low-rare pile of jank that I found, and boy, it’s a lot of fun when it goes off. It’s obviously pretty gate-dependent, but it manages to make Amplifire a centerpiece which I was pretty sure was impossible. It kinda sucks when the card Amplifire turns up is another Amplifire, but when Ghalta pops all of a sudden you have a 24/24 creature and that’s never not a blast. Even better if you have a Crash Through in hand.

2 Blink of an Eye (DAR) 46
2 Gatebreaker Ram (RNA) 126
4 Gates Ablaze (RNA) 102
2 Thud (M19) 163
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Guild Summit (GRN) 41
3 Gate Colossus (RNA) 232
2 Electrodominance (RNA) 99
3 Crash Through (M19) 133
3 Dive Down (XLN) 53
2 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
4 Amplifire (RNA) 92

1 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
4 Gateway Plaza (GRN) 247
4 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 257
4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 251
4 Gruul Guildgate (RNA) 250
2 Forest (RIX) 196
2 Island (RIX) 193

So what are people playing in Preseason 3? I’m running Blue tempo while I get enough wildcards to craft a functional mana base for Esper control.

Unrelated, I’m drafting a lot of Ravnica Alliegance and really enjoying it. I think this may be best draft deck in all formats:

Started off with that janky but fun Gates deck. That got me almost to Platinum. Then I crafted enough Deputies of Detention to switch to Esper Midrange, which took me to Diamond 4 before I stalled out. Now I’m going to back to Esper Control, hoping to get to Mythic but I may just not be good enough…or I just don’t have the cards to build one of those Sultai or white weenie decks everyone seems to have.

People are still playing Sultai? Maybe I’ve been playing too much best of one, but all I see are red aggro, a few different builds of white weenie and Esper control.

What’s the best strategy for building decent decks without putting a ton of money into the game? I built mono blue a month ago but I guess the meta adjusted because I’m finding it hard to win with over the last couple of weeks. I also made improvements to the prebuilt white deck so that it can compete, but it’s still kind of bad against more refined decks. I spent many of my uncommon/common wildcards to build the mono blue, but I still have a bunch of rare and mythic wildcards that I have been afraid to spend. Should I just wait for the old sets to rotate out at this point? I have a decent collection of the two Ravnica sets at this point since I play as much draft as I can as well as getting those packs as rewards. But I’m getting bored of my two decks losing frequently.

No reason to be afraid of crafting rares from Guilds or Allegiance. Cards from those sets will be in the meta for a long time yet.

I’ve stopped spending wildcards on rares from Ixalan or Dominaria, since those will be rotating soonish. It does tend to cut down on the kind of decks I can build, but I’ll be in better shape come September’s rotation, I think.

OTOH, if you plan to play in whatever the eternal format is that Wizards comes up with for Arena once rotation hits, then any card is probably fair game.

Woo hoo, cosmetics! March 27th!

-New 3D/fullart promos

-New sleeves, avatars

-New practice mode against the AI “sparky”

-New mastery tree for early-progression for specific cards and promos

Styles:

Common: 400 Gems

Uncommon: 600 Gems

Rare: 1000 Gems

Mythic Rare: 1200 Gems

Huatli or Angrath for either 500 Gems or 3000 gold, each.

You can unlock additional avatars inside store bundles

Sleeves:

Standard: 600 Gems

Exquisite: 1200 Gems

Yeah, just watched the video, it looks amazing.

I stole this list from, I think, CovertGoBlue…maybe not, can’t remember. Super-obnoxious and lots of fun. It is winning me a lot of games in Bo1, though.

2 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
2 Mortify (RNA) 192
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
1 Consecrate // Consume (RNA) 224
4 Kaya’s Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Absorb (RNA) 151
4 Moment of Craving (RIX) 79
4 Nightmare’s Thirst (M19) 111
1 Invoke the Divine (DAR) 22
4 Revitalize (M19) 35
1 Dawn of Hope (GRN) 8
4 Dovin’s Acuity (RNA) 168
1 Nezahal, Primal Tide (RIX) 45
4 Vraska’s Contempt (XLN) 129

4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
2 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Swamp (RIX) 194

I’m Wendelius#86259 in MTGA (I’m assuming it has friends list now? It didn’t in the early beta).

I’ve only just come out of the tutorial and have played a couple of training matches with the starter decks. So my decks will be no match for constructed decks. But if any other new players want a match and I’m on, feel free to ping me.

Nope. No friends list yet. Just direct challenge. Hypothetically you can do friend challenging through Discord now, though I haven’t tried it. Look for me on Discord if you want to play a bit.

@charmtrap that list looks fun. Going to try it in the Bo1 ranked ladder, where I’ve been seeing a lot of Esper Control.

It is really fun, especially if you enjoy lockdown strategies.

But, though it can work against control if you get a good draw, it’s really more of an anti-aggro deck, something Esper Control struggles with. Pretty much every card is a lifegain card, which control doesn’t really care about.

It’s a good deck for Constructed Event, where a lot of players run aggro lists.

Cool. I tried to import the version you posted, and Discourse messes things up with all the smart replacement of quotation marks. I know there’s some kind of code block work-around but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Trying copying it into this deck converter, that’s worked for me in the past.

I’d already just manually edited it and successfully imported it. What a hilarious deck, my first match-up with it was against a modified Izzet Drakes deck, and although I didn’t win, I nearly decked my opponent. They were down to their last 5 cards when they got off an X=10 Expansion/Explosion, which if I’d played a little better I could have had the proper 2 blue mana up to counter with Absorb. I was sloppy, probably because I was laughing so much while playing, that I had unnecessarily tapped out. With their huge card draw and the big damage, I was done.

OMG. I just finished another game. This time against a Selesnya deck with some weird twists (it was playing all kinds of weirdness, like Vernandi Shieldmate and other weirdo token generating Selesnya cards). The game took 33 minutes, had the opponent down to 12 cards before they scooped. I was at 102 life, thanks to my first Kaya planeswalker ultimate (the next one would have finished them off). I think I’m in love. And all this after they used Cleansing Nova to wipe out my 3 deployed Dovin’s Acuitys. And after I messed up and forgot to exile my Nezehal before laying down a Kaya’s Wrath.

It’s not an efficient way to play or anything, but damn is it fun. And it didn’t cost me a single wildcard, it turns out I already had them all.

Yeah, it definitely can lead to some long games. Though I’ve had quite few concessions when they see Clear The Mind and/or Nezahal come down, so that probably brings down the average somewhat.

I’m only in Platinum so far this month, so it’s not like I’m playing the varsity, but so far I’ve played about 50 games with it and have an 85% win rate. Unless you really have some sub-optimal draws, it does win a lot.

Friends list soon…no chat ever, apparently.

As someone who plays with emotes disabled… I’m ok with that.