Magic: The Gathering Arena - Another MtG video game

Well there comes that moment when you wonder “Am I the bad guy?”

I refused to engage with the spirit of the Counters event, and just ran Esper control. I am the monster…

Summary

2 Basilica Bell-Haunt (RNA) 156
3 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Command the Dreadhorde (WAR) 82
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
3 Kaya’s Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Dovin’s Veto (WAR) 193
3 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
3 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
1 Plains (XLN) 260
2 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
1 Swamp (XLN) 268
3 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) 207
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) GR6
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70

I went a bit control-ish as well. I’ve deleted it now, but I threw together a bunch of removal and sweepers (and Mastermind’s Acquisition + a sideboard to bring in whatever I was missing) to fill the graveyard with bad guys until I could get The Wanderer and Command the Dreadhorde out and bring 'em all back at once. At which point almost everyone conceded.

According to my tracker I went 10-7. Not very efficient, but I didn’t really want to think about it too hard.

monster.

I just ran blue green for the event. Merfolk mostly, get counters, stomp to victory. Occasionally win by Simic Ascendancy. Games mostly go quick, win or lose.

New code! Three free random mythics til July 2nd. MYTHICMAGIC is the code.

Not sure why, but they’re not cheapies. I got a Gideon Blackblade, a Dream Eater, and a Domri, Chaos Bringer.

I got crap. Two planeswalkers that are in no meta decks and that red boar god. But…it was free!

Pulled Captive Audience, God-Eternal Rhonas and Nullhide Ferox. Seems like good value for money.

Doom Whisperer, God-Eternal Bontu, and that green Finale from WAR. Someone’s telling me to make a jank Golgari deck…

Liliana Dreadhorde General and 2X Biogenic Ooze for me.

State of the Beta today.

London Mulligans. Arena Modern will not have Amonkhet or Kaladesh, but there will be Historic event, that seem to bring past sets to play with, maybe? It’s still a little vague.

They’re introducing a new “Mastery Pass” that seems to work something like Fortnite’s Battle Pass. You get a bunch of extra cards and gem rewards for playing, I think? It’ll cost 3400 gems

Also a little animated kitty that you can upgrade!

ICRs are being rotated out on the July 2nd update, so if you’re digging for Ixalan uncommons or something, get on that.

Ah, I misunderstood part of the update. The mastery system is replacing the old weekly wins system, I guess. There’s a free track that works similarly to the old weekly system, and then a paid track that gets you more stuff. Daily win rewards are unchanged.

Just to make sure folks don’t miss this, it’s worth underlining. Here is the FAQ about rotation for Arena, as outlined in yesterday’s article.

The rotation Q&A mentioned in the above image can be found here:

Patch is out, servers up. “Playm20” for three free packs.

And since Reddit has been pooping itself for three straight days: another code for 2 free levels “LevelUp”.

If only I could log in to use those codes. For an update that wasn’t supposed to result in any downtime, this is a bit of a mess.

I can log in no problem, but most games are failing to fire off.

I’m a veteran of many MMO launches and update days. Shit happens.

Of course. I’m just amused by their “no downtime” optimism. I actually take this as a good thing, indicating unexpectedly high demand.

You’re lucky to be able to log in, servers are definitely not fully operational. I’m still getting a “System is Down for Maintenance” message when I log in. As are many other redditors…

Yeah, it’s working OK for me now. Just got three games in. One got disconnected, but it reconnected easily.

Oops. Easy Infinite Dino combo.

The infinite Poly combo more or less already existed with Forerunner of the Empire minus the infinitely tough Raptor…at uncommon no less. Easy to disrupt with any removal.

I suspect Play Design were well aware of it.

e: Also, Arena is apparently smart enough now to detect infinite loops and warn you that continuing the loop will result in a draw.