Mailwasher - How it changed my life

No really, if you’ve never tried this little known program, try it. Since I started using it last week, not a single bit of spam has entered my EudoraPro mailbox.

Very simple to setup and use. If you do get it, please remember to support the developers!

I don’t suppose it supports Outlook XP?

— Alan

It does because its not an email program specific app. It sits between your email program and your ISP’s mail server.

Give it a shot and I guarantee you’ll never go back. And you can get rid of all those annoying spam filters you have setup in Outlook as well.

If you’re on a Microsoft Exchange server, it’s not useful. It only works with POP mail servers.

It doesn’t really save you time because you still have to verify each and every email message that it wants to delete. Every so often it will blacklist a valid email on the basis of its domain.

It is useful for spoofing a “no such user” type of email message back to the original spammer to try and get your address removed.

Probably. But apart from POP mail servers, it now supports Hotmail.

It doesn’t really save you time because you still have to verify each and every email message that it wants to delete. Every so often it will blacklist a valid email on the basis of its domain.

Wrong. It does save you time because it uses a widely popular blacklist and spam db (did you read the FAQ on their site with a link to a blacklist db you can download and install). And even then, you can add your own.

For me, when it checks email, I used to have a full screen in the morning of over 25+ spam. But 99% of them were already flagged as spam. Those that weren’t, have a weigted value indicating that it is probably spam. You can then manual tag them and is then added to the db and you’ll never see it again in your mail box.

With a fullsceen of 50+ emails, it takes less a few seconds to scan those that look legit, remove them and tag them as friend. This adds them to another db and they’ll never be flagged as spam again (e.g. zdnet and lockergnome newsletters)

Once its done, you hit the process button and it deletes and/or bounces all spam from the server and can auto-execute your email program for you if you wish. At that point, NO spam enters your inbox. Unless you check email manually without letting Mailwasher do it.

It is useful for spoofing a “no such user” type of email message back to the original spammer to try and get your address removed.

Wrong. It has many, many uses and the few mins it takes to scan is must shorter than setting up a new spam filter in a mail program.

Of course, YMMV and there is no harm in trying it out. They released 2.08 Beta last week with lots of new features and support for Hotmail.

Any ip based filter that is not updated in realtime - is next to useless.

We run over 15 checks on evilemail’s incoming mail. We tag (not block) based on a variety of reasons, but still catch around only 75% of the spam. 100% stoppage is impossible, sure you can delete it at your pop server - but that is not stopping it if you have to do it by hand. That is just moving the place you choose to delete them mail.

You will also get some false negatives. Which is why our service only tags, not deletes them mail (though you can choose to delete based on the tags.)

Mailwasher is okay but I have heard many more positive things about spam assasain, and I cannot say enough bad things about spam cop to warn people away from their broken system.

Chet

What’s wrong with SpamCop ? I have used it in the past but for some strange reason my junk mail had increased while I was using it.

I agree with you there. I never heard of Spam Assassin. I’ll check it out!

Derek, I tried to send you an email about university diplomas and it was rejected by your little program as spam.

I’m not going to write you about penis enlargement until you apologize.

LMAO!!!

I just tried SpamNix (the Eudora branded version of SpamAssassin). Its rubbish.

I manage the IT help e-mail account for a state university using Spamassassin, and find that it works fairly well. Probably 90-95% effective. Since Oct 1 it has caught 1,834 pieces. False positives are about .2%. Requires tweaking of the scores for various spam hits. I’m testing bogofilter now, which is one of the first of a new breed of filters based on Bayesian statistical content analysis.

Spam cop refuses to parse headers correctly. They ignore RFC compliant headers and come up with some silly - spam cop compliant header.

This causes a great number of people to misreport spam. And once misreported, spamcop’s response - too bad.

They favor large mailers and isps, and punish the smaller guys. The guy who runs it is a complete prick. Ignorant of the standard rules of email and thinks the world should revolve around spamcop. I suspect he does this to try and gain customers to his paid service.

I have tried to discuss this with them both privately and in their forums, what a mistake. Their users for the most part are entirely ignorant and if you know about email - you must be a spammer. One guy was trying to tell me there was never a reason for a web host to offer smtp access, entirely ignorant. And those are the people they rely on to filter the spam.

Julian the owner admitted I was correct with the issue I raised, but that was too bad. The last issue of many I have had with them, due to faulty parsing of the headers, anyone who uses the ensim interface (the leader in admin intefaces) to admin their linux box will actually report their own box as the spammer, not the spammer. Nice…

Chet