Mainstream Media

Nothing, but media outlet, especially CNN for whatever reason, are always afraid of appearing ‘biased’ or whatever. So to prove they aren’t they invite sycophant idiots constantly on various shows.

As various people have pointed out, the news behind the Miller interview isn’t that Miller did terribly - he always has at TV interviews - but that someone without media skills was sent into the meat grinder instead of Kellyanne Conway. She seems to have vanished since the Wolff book hit (but then she always was one of the smarter ones.)

Miller THINKS that he has media skills, and I’m sure told Trump that he could do it. He goes on Fox periodically and they just suck his dick, so I doubt he really expected Tapper to just shut him down.

Yup, CNN’s memory is indeed short. After running frequent ads about what is fake news, they are now back to the both sides’ism that they helped create.

Just had to post a GIF of my new TV crush, Stephanie Ruhle. Still have mad love for Ms. Parker tho!

ezgif-5-54f17a89a3

NYT gives over its editorial page to letters from Trump voters.

Jamelle Bouie is rawther annoyed:

Y’know, I suppose from the NYTimes’s perspective, they feel like can’t win. The right unanimously believes they are hyperpartisan left-wing shills, while many on the left find their softball coverage of white supremacists and sufferers of ‘economic anxiety’ to be, well, deplorable.

Anyway, I don’t have strong feelings about this move. NYTimes can do what it wants. But reading those letters reinforces my feeling that we are currently living in some kind of quantum world where multiple realities are somehow overlapping.

Makes me wish I subscribe to the NYT just so I could cancel.

Whenever I read those, I always wish they would insert Wikipedia-style “citation needed” notes where appropriate.

In reading those letters to the editor you come away with a majority of people who dislike Trump’s tweeting, who dislike his loud mouth but who (a) refused to vote for Hilary, (b) wanted conservative judges and © wanted tax reform.

Of course many are also giving Trump credit for things that his policies had nothing to do with, but I think every consitituency does that.

Of course many wanted stronger border control, something many think is racist on the face of it but others think there is room for stronger action. Of course the wall idea is crazy.

What I still don’t get is how they just talk about his policies or his vulgarity.

It’s fine that he’s vulgar. Nixon was vulgar, LBJ was vulgar. I don’t give a shit.

His policies as thusfar enacted (travel ban the notable exception) are odious but not that different from what any Republican president would likely have backed. His attitude on climate change is IMO a disastrous, unforgivable dereliction of duty, but quite frankly one a President Rubio or a President Cruz would likely have committed too.

It’s the naked authoritarianism, the obvious complete lack of interest in checks and balances or constitutional government, the flagrant race-baiting and ‘us against them’ media-slagging. The insistence on personal loyalty above all other considerations. The pervasive mean-spiritedness and refusal to even pretend to be a president to all Americans or to follow norms of respect toward his political opponents.

How do they not see this stuff? Am I hallucinating it? I feel like my study of history has trained me to be hyper-aware of threats to the democracy I live in and that it’s a sacred charge to get your back up when you see them in the distance. Not after the fucking re-education camps and kangaroo courts have started, but while the rhetoric is blooming. And the fact that other branches of government (especially judicial) have kept him in check is not a point in his favor.

And these guys are all like, ‘meh, his Tweets are goofy but he gets shit done’ and I begin to doubt my own sanity…

They do not care.

You guys are not thinking Deep State enough. The NYT says it’s turning over it’s editorial pages to Trump supporters to give them a voice out of a sense of fairness in journalism, while it’s actually handing us a neat little list of people who should “disappear” before the next election cycle. Belluminati…it’s not just a clever Taco Bell commercial, it’s a secret call to save America!

As people who agree with his principles they don’t see the things you see that scare you. They trust him. They don’t trust you or the Dems or any liberal.

It is that simple. They will over look what they don’t like about him because they prefer that which they understand (or think they do) over that which they don’t, and fear.

I know you have your tongue squarely planted in cheek but what would you want to bet that their are people who believe that those who “out” themselves like that are doomed.

There are plenty of them, but they keep quiet about that sort of thing until a Democrat gets elected.

Speaking out now shows Trump they’ve got his back and we all know he’ll rule forever because despite all the polls, which are always wrong unless they’re right, the vast majority of Americans love him and everything he does.

/s

They do. But people who support Trump are either fascists, racists , the immoral or just the plain stupid so all the things you mentioned are good things to them.

Thats who they are. I suppose I am not helping ease your concerns at this point…

It’s been too long since hate posting about Chris Cillizza. Also linked for funsies, CNN’s Dana Bash blaming Democrats for the pending government shutdown. At this point I’m close to convinced corporate media wanted trump to win.

It’s confusing to me too, just judging off NPR reports. Is the sticking point the White house wanting funding for the wall? Is it democrats wanting DACA passed? Where is CHIP in all this? It’s all a bit confusing based on scattershot media reports about a little of this, a little of that. I don’t get the impression that the media is all that clear on it either.

Everyone (well, mostly everyone) wants DACA fixed. The sticking points are what the GOP are asking in return for what they are casting as a “Democrat priority.”

The bipartisan solution put forth by Graham/Durgan the other day would have enshrined DACA, added funds for border security, and transferred some funds from the “diversity lottery” and a couple other programs to the programs providing immigration aid to disaster victims (e.g., the Haitian earthquake refugees).

The White House’s whack-job wing (Miller and maybe Kelly) sabotaged that effort. In return for doing DACA, they want a full-stop end for “chain migration” (meaning if you are accepted as an immigrant, you can’t bring you parents along later) and the “diversity lottery”; the funds would be transferred to the visa programs that bring in high-tech workers. Also, they are insisting on full funding for Trump’s wall and want to end the disaster refugee program entirely.

CHIP is in there now because the House GOP added it to the temp funding bill yesterday. Ryan wants to sell this as the Democrats choosing illegal immigrants over poor American children.

The Democrats have floated the idea of a short-term funding bill that keeps the government open for a week or so longer because the House is actually adjourned for a week starting… last night. This means that the Dems have the option to shut down the government for a MINIMUM of one week or to leave the 800K DACA kids hanging in the wind.

The hard-nosed solution would be to pass the GOP funding bill as-written with no Democrat votes.

That would pass CHIP and fund the border wall and presumably leave the DACA folks in limbo . The Dems could rightfully use the GOP willingness to fund Trump’s moronic boondoggle against them later this year as well as the collapse of DACA. They’d be using the DACA kids’ fate as a political prop, maybe, but it’d be a GOP failing, not a Democrat one.

The Democrat Senators all seem to hear their “base” clamoring for a fight though, so it sounds like they’re going to filibuster and shut everything down. Morally, it’s probably the right thing to do, but as one of the guys who will directly suffer from their action, I can’t say I’m too happy about it.