Mainstream Media

Kudos

You say fuck the New York Times a lot more eloquently than I do.

You should get this published as an op-ed. Seriously.

Agreed.

The old Gray Lady ain’t what she used to be.

-Tom

This column reiterates HT’s excellent post

This is an extraordinary piece of journalism by the NY Times. It is also how to guide in creative tax evasion.
Fred Trump, Donald’s dad, was one smart SOB, except for his faith in his 2nd son.

Warning, it took me about 45 minutes to read the article, and I’m pretty familiar with tax avoidance strategies.

The TL:DR is that virtually all of Trump’s wealth is because he inherited from his Dad, and the Trump family cheated Uncle Sam and New York state out of untold millions of dollars in estate taxes.

The Newshour summary is also very good.

And of course, the problem is that all the GOP politicians that could do something about this are stealing from the country too so we’re shit out of luck.

The message that Democrats need to use is this:
“You pay higher taxes because Donald Trump cheated and didn’t pay his.”

It is quite possible that Trump and his family stole more money from the taxpayers than all US politicians that have been convicted of crimes this century combined.

Edit: Someone dipped their toe into /r conservative and … here.

Ugh, why did I click? What a bunch of hypocrites and liars and all around assholes…

WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK? The fact that this news tells me things are going great otherwise they would report on something relevant. The only reason why these idiots are putting out yellow journalism is because in truth the president is boring and we don’t have shit to worry about, so the media tries to raise a stink over petty stuff. If Trump did commit a crime it shows just how incompetent the government has been since the 70’s. I mean you think they would have busted him by now, but Tax Loopholes are not illegal. Which is why this article gets the IDGAF award!

These are the same people screaming “Lock her up” and “What about illegal don’t you understand?” to justify cruelly breaking apart families for legally seeking asylum.

Lots of people put partisanship over principles.

A good piece on the background to the NYT/Trump tax fraud article:

No info on the source behind all the leaked returns, though (which is the most fascinating part of the story. Everyone always suspected Trump of doing things like this, the issue was always proving it.)

It’s important to note that the reporters behind this story are all NYC based, and not the DC NYT I always complain about.

Selter’s story is good. I’m still in awe at the level of detail the times story went into.

David Frum has been tweeting all day on the folks who’ve gone to jail for tax evasion.

I’m also bother that there is roughly 3 or 4 times more time spent on CNN, MSNBC, and the networks on the latest rumors about Kavanaugh and his accuser than this monumental story.

Yeah, but I think I get why. This is an 18-month closed door investigation that a small group at NYT worked on in basically seclusion. There’s really nothing for the other networks to add, all they can say is, here’s some highlights, go read the NYT. Actually, I guess I am surprised they don’t have more talking heads and panels giving their BS about it. Maybe since it’s tax it’s just boring TV? They prefer the story with the heroes and villains, and the cliffhanger of whether he’ll end up on the supreme court or not. Entertainment, not news.

I think the major factor in the low air time of this story is that we all knew he was a complete fraud and con man, just not the specifics. So for most of us, it’s really not a huge revelation or anything, just confirmation of what we already knew was true. It’s amazing that 99.9% of Republicans don’t give a crap that he & his family have basically stolen hundreds of millions of dollars from tax payers.

There is just no bottom.

Wow Marco, you’ve really out done yourself in stupidity.

This exactly the beginning of the type of the journalism, that I’d want to see.

They press should be asking elected officials. Do you believe this and what are you going to do it about?
They should be lining up tax lawyers and prosecutors discussing, how this compared to other folks who’ve been jailed/heavily fined for tax evasion.

Finally and most importantly, while the Times says the stuff the uncovered is past that statue of limitation.
On the other hand Susanne Cragg on the Maddow, said that Trump was benefitting as recently as last year.
The example she used he got million in payments from the largest public housing project in NYC. If the Trump organization was continuing to collect rents, which had been artificially increased through fraudulently increases costs. It would strike me as that is still illegal, or at the very least. All of the tenants would have a class-action suit against the Trump organization. Journalists need to be asking questions about current Trump organization practices.

The Trump organization is basically a criminal organization and should treated like one.

That Rubio comment is fucking breathtaking.

He’s right. Likewise, steroids are just symptomatic of the intricate rules in baseball, especially the double switch. And college basketball coaches wouldn’t be compelled to pay recruits if the charge rule wasn’t so convoluted and subjective.