Mainstream Media

Lol you keep worshipping Republican politics circa 2005. I happen to believe they were insufferable assholes back then, too. Trump is just saying the quiet part loud.

It feels like “liberal media” is trying a little too hard to be fair here. Admittedly, I never read TWS with regularity (though I have flipped through an issue or two), but this was the media organ of the neocons…the same folks who laid much of the ideological groundwork for the invasion of Iraq. Pardon me if I don’t squirt too many tears at their demise.

Apparently they’re sending out NDA’s disallowing “false, disparaging, derogatory, critical, insulting, offensive, deprecating or belittling comment in public or in private” about the magazine or it’s company. Presumably with their severance money attached.

I’m of two minds on this. Mainly because I think both perspectives have merit.

I have frequently, though notably far less the last few years, read several conservative news sources in order to get a different but well presented perspectives. Because there was value in that. So losing one of the better voices, and yes Bill Kristol for all his baggage was worth reading to get the perspective of as he was one of the more thoughtful voices out there.

But on the other I do totally get the visceral fuck ‘em reaction. Because, as @HumanTon points out, they invited the disaster, you can’t rightly claim umbrage when the face eating leopard you invited into your house eats your face.

Adam Brickley? He never ran the weekly standard, did he? He wrote some articles for it, but i didn’t think he ever ran the organization.

Unless you mean Kristol, at which point I’d have to say nah… You can’t lay the blame for Palin at his feet. He spoke favorably of her after he was hosted by her in Alaska, but he wasn’t the driving force behind her nomination. Hell, he wrote this piece in the NYT suggesting Lieberman.

Actually, looks like he made this suggestion multiple times.

I can see why he’d be initially inclined to think Palin could work. Kristol recognized that any Republican would have a hard time winning that cycle, in the aftermath of bush. If you look at his suggestions, he was looking at some way to mix it up.

But even after Palin was picked, Kristol said a few times that he had been lobbying for Lieberman.

FWIW, this is 100% common. I’ve been laid off twice and both severance agreements included the same non disparagement clause.

To extend your analogy, they’re like a roommate who invited the leopard into your shared house against your frantic objections. As the days go by the leopard gets more and more dangerous, causes more and more damage, and you beg the roommate to please get rid of that leopard but they refuse to do it. One day, the leopard eats the roommate and we’re supposed to feel bad. Only it’s kind of hard to feel bad at the moment because while they may have had their face eaten, we’re still stuck in our house with the dangerous animal they brought in with them.

https://twitter.com/cavalorn/status/654934442549620736?lang=en

Well there are bigger assholes in the deranged right wing media, but yeah I have zero sympathy.

I guess the market has spoken. Smug smile.

You guys suck.
I like leopards. 🐆

It’s bad that they refused to allow the standard to change into, because they specifically wanted to push the standard’s readers to the Washington examiner, which is a total piece of trash, Trumpist rag.

It’s basically just going to make more Trump supporters.

That was my fear too. The “no space for anyone but Trumpy for those who would rather kill their families than be a good Democrat” kind of situation.

But honestly, we’ve kinda been there for a while now. The few R moderates only had balls once in a blue moon.

We shall see on that one. I guess the optimist in me thinks there is a finite number of science denying racists in the USA for the Trump Republican party to draw from. Votes are one thing but a paying audience is another. The media market for serving that kind of viewpoint seems saturated already media wise from what I see.

Or to put it another way. I think there are a lot of “real” conservatives out there. Folks who in general care more about the role of government, deficit & taxes. But some of them are splitting off from Trumpism because obviously Trumps republican party is not aligned with their interests.

I mean we all know conservatives who are now independents because of Trump, I dont know many independents who are now Republicans because of Trump.

In rich states like NY & California upper middle class Republicans are not so stupid they they cant count. So they see the tax increase the Republican party gave them last year (property tax exception) . They are unlikely to forget it.

Bill Kristol is among those most responsible for our current predicament. His never-Trumpism is particularly annoying because of that, and because he never acknowledged that. If Trump were to vanish into thin air, Kristol would go right back to the tactics that created him in the first place. His magazine and he both belong on the scrap heap of history.

From @HumanTon ‘s link:

The other journalists who met Palin offered similarly effusive praise: Michael Gerson called her “a mix between Annie Oakley and Joan of Arc.” The most ardent promoter, however, was Kristol, and his enthusiasm became the talk of Alaska’s political circles. According to Simpson, Senator Stevens told her that “Kristol was really pushing Palin” in Washington before McCain picked her. Indeed, as early as June 29th, two months before McCain chose her, Kristol predicted on “Fox News Sunday” that “McCain’s going to put Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska, on the ticket.” He described her as “fantastic,” saying that she could go one-on-one against Obama in basketball, and possibly siphon off Hillary Clinton’s supporters. He pointed out that she was a “mother of five” and a reformer. “Go for the gold here with Sarah Palin,” he said. The moderator, Chris Wallace, finally had to ask Kristol, “Can we please get off Sarah Palin?”

“Go for the gold with Sarah Palin!!”

Hell of a campaign slogan.

Yeah, the most amazing thing is that he met her, spent hours with her, and apparently never realized she was a characterless idiot. Or he did realize and didn’t care. Not sure which is worse.

Tom: No.

I provided a more holistic view of what actually happened…

Bill Kristol supported Palin’s pick at first, whole pushing more for Lieberman. He was certainly not the driving force behind her nomination. If that were to be put on one person, it would be Adam Brickley.

Ah, you were there then.