Major selling points of southern England?

Another recommendation for history buffs in the south, more or less, is Bletchley Park. The only problem is that once you’re done there, there’s only Milton Keynes nearby.

Yeah Bletchley is cooler than I expected. Milton Keynes is some sort of nightmare of urban planning, however.

No mention of Torquay yet?

It’s not Florida?

Luckily

Torquay is horrible. Britain trying to be like the French Riviera, but without the necessary weather, money or style. Devon in general is a bit crap compared to Cornwall or even Dorset.

Keep the suggestions coming guys - much appreciated :-)

Oh, that reminds me. I would love to visit Wales as well, but I have an idea its a LONG drive and something for a completely other holiday.

I live in Dorset it’s great, we holiday in the UK as the kids are still young and don’t care where we go, Cornwall is a great place to visit, London is also great but the kids need to be a bit older.

But really Cornwall to Dorset gives an awful lot of leeway in what you want to do and see.

Don’t forget The Abbey and The Clocktower. Although, St. Albans in general is something of a hole. It has some nice history, but the town has pretty much gone to shit.

It would suit a trip all on it’s own, one of the most ‘castled’ lands around (due to the Normans). If your not english they are a lively, fun bunch. However the educated ones do remember the Danelaw still, and that their modern name in the english language, ‘welsh’, was the common germanic/danish root word for ‘foreigner’ back in the day. Just saying. Oh and save your rain clothes from your southern england trip for wales, it rains even more there!

However the educated ones do remember the Danelaw still, and that their modern name in the english language, ‘welsh’, was the common germanic/danish root word for ‘foreigner’ back in the day. Just saying

Funnily enough, the Old English word most commonly used to label the Welsh was “Briton”.

Yeah, there are some wonderful castles in Wales. Beaumaris, in Anglesey, is a real production to get to, but it’s absolutely amazing – in its design, condition, everything. The most “castley” castle I can think of outside of Krak des Chevaliers.

At the other end of the scale, there are places like Kidwelly, near Swansea, which has a little shop out front, but other than that just sits there by itself, so you can explore / climb all over it however you like.

Oh and save your rain clothes from your southern england trip for wales, it rains even more there!
This. Not so much in the way of torrential downpours, just perpetually damp.

Vis-a-vis southern England, most of Wales is pretty inaccessible in a short time frame. But rail service from Bristol to Cardiff, which is worth visiting if you’re interested in a quick introduction to the country, is regular and quick.

I think you are all overdoing the rain, we have had some decent summers, and even this summer we had 5 barbeque days, and we hardly ever have a barbeque.
If you head nearby, I’d recommend Wells Cathedral, which is HHHUUUUGGGGEEEEEE, or even winchester or salisbury for the same reasons.
But I can’t emphasize enough how amazing all the museums in London are. Space stuff, military stuff, ancient stuff, biology stuff, whatever you want, we have a few billion square feet of big rooms showing it all off for free, and they are all pretty close to each other. +1 vote for the cabinet war rooms, if you like WW2 history, well worth a look.

‘Further flood misery expected as torrential rain forecast for sodden UK’:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/11/flood-rain-summer-weather-uk

Did you pay for a solar collector to direct the sun at your garden again? And yes it didn’t rain all the time, and any time it is not a downpour, you can physically have a barbeque.

Next summer might be sweet though :)

This ‘summer’ coincided with the olympics, pretty much, but speaking as someone who despises strong heat and cold and welcomes perpetual spring and autumn, that’s mostly a good thing.

I’ve been to southern England only twice, about two decades ago, but… Definitely visit Stonehenge, kinda have to do that. Enjoyed Fishbourne Roman Palace. While Hastings is obviously hugely significant I found the place kind of underwhelming, though a trip to nearby Dover (with its cliffs, castle, and WW2 facilities) was really neat. Some nautical stuff in Portsmouth (HMS Victory and the really cool Mary Rose, Henry VIII’s ship). I’ll try to think of more but I think Portsmouth, Stonehenge, Fishbourne, and Dover are all fun. Oh, and if it is considered part of southern England the city of Bath (and its wonderful Roman Baths) is not to be missed!

Dieeeeeeeee

Seconded. Bath is lovely, easy to get to from London, walkable, and remarkably un-touristy given its popularity with, well, tourists. Maybe it’s because it attracts history buffs? Whatever the case, it’s a wonderful place to decompress and get rid of jet lag after flying into London.

Yes on a wider context, in that the greeks, then romans, then saxons and angles etc knew of that collective term for the inhabitants of the island. But…ydych chi’n siarad cymraeg? (I do a little) ‘cymraeg’(from Cymry) being the welsh for ‘welsh’, ‘Cymru’ being ‘Wales’.

" Etymology of Wales

The English words “Wales” and “Welsh” derive from the same Germanic root (singular Walh, plural Walha), meaning a “foreigner”, or “stranger”, who had been “Romanised”. The Ænglisc-speaking Anglo-Saxons used the term Waelisc when referring to the Celtic Britons, and Wēalas when referring to their lands.[3] The modern names for some Continental European lands (e.g., Wallonia and Wallachia) and peoples (e.g., the Vlachs via a borrowing into Old Church Slavonic), have a similar etymology.[4][5][6][7]

Historically in Britain, the words were not restricted to modern Wales or to the Welsh but were used to refer to anything that the Anglo-Saxons associated with the Britons, including other non-Germanic territories in Britain (e.g., Cornwall) and Germanic territories particularly associated with Celtic Britons (e.g., Walworth in County Durham and Walton in West Yorkshire),[8] as well as items associated with non-Germanic Europeans (e.g., the walnut)."

And to add to CourteousD’s points on places to visit in wales, either the coast or the mountains are the defining landscape features of the land. For the coast you are spoiled for choice with my personal favourite being either ‘the Gower’ (Gywr) just west of swansea (where you can find the welsh dragon or ‘worms head’) or further west still you have Pembrokeshire (also known locally as ‘little england’ due to history). But yeah for the best coast you head west from swansea and all up the west coast to the north, a beautiful landscape.

For mountains you need to visit Snowdon and the national park land it is in, which is in the north of the country, and on route you could travel up the ‘marcher’ lands that is the border country with england today, via Brecon (and the Brecon Beacons) etc.

I’ve always enjoyed the landscapes, history (castles etc) and drinking opportunities (in small out of the way pubs) of wales. B+B /hotels are in general very uk standard, so not something we do best, but the people and the place itself is quality.