Majority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise and others shot at GOP ballgame

The idea of sending classified data to someone as part of refuting their argument on the internet is profoundly stupid, and someone with such poor judgement really should not be dealing with classified materials at all.

I used to respect greenwald, back in his salon days, when he appeared to be working to get to the truth of matters that may be hard to see. Now he seems to be trying to avoid the truth even when it’s in his face screaming at him.

He got played by Julian Assange and the post-Obama election version of Wikileaks. He’s all in now, so I guess he figures he should just keep digging.

You have a better view of humanity than many I know, and that’s a compliment.

In addition to the “official” baseball game, there are a whole bunch of softball teams made up of Congressional staffers.

I haven’t read up enough on Greenwald’s involvement in the Winner case, but this 100%. Reality Winner dug her own grave when she emailed The Intercept from her work computer and used the office printer to make a hardcopy of the document. She’s an idiot.

Maybe Greenwald pointed the feds in her direction. I don’t know. He certainly denies it. Regardless, Winner’s own stupidity made it inevitable that she would get caught. It wouldn’t take a genius hacker to look at the emailed document image, see printed creases, then track it back by just looking at who printed the damn thing. Mega dumb.

Both are true. From the report on NPR, talking to an expert on such matters, it is clear that she was both careless, and that the Intercept did not use best practices to avoid burning a source. Either way she probably gets caught, but they made that trivial.

Basically they left the identifying information in there, when confirming gave specific information on how they acquired it to the Feds, and basically made it so that the possibility list was basically less than 5 people. Had they followed journalistic best practices they probably would have still caught Winner, because she was a careless fool, but not within the hour like they did.

And… yep. This guy beat his girlfriend too.
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/875019173541367809

I agree with this too, but was it purposeful? @triggercut is saying that it was.

I don’t think that’s true. More that The Intercept fucked up.

If only the Intercept were a publication based on sensitive, anonymous sources providing information to them, they’d maybe know how to handle their info better, huh?

Oh wait.

At any rate, don’t mistake me for an apologist for Reality Winner. I’m the guy who’s grateful for Edward Snowden’s leaks on NSA wiretapping…while also thinking Edward Snowden probably needs to be serving at minimum a 10-year hitch in federal prison for what he did. I get really uncomfortable when the line between “whistleblower” and “individual deciding what’s right and wrong on his or her own moral compass and acting upon it with classified information” blurs.

Well they do have experienced people on staff, but supposedly this story went out without consulting either of the two security experts, which is highly anomalous. While the deliberate story seems a bit conspiratorial to me, it is also plausible.

Basically I’m not convinced, but can’t dismiss out of hand.

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up on the domestic violence angle or you’ll be stuck in confirmation bias. It’s a more general case of disgruntled and jilted men. In many situations there’s no record of it, often because they’re having no luck with the ladies. Your article even acknowledges this.

For the record, condemnation of the shooter from Sanders today was forceful and felt like Bernie himself wrote it.

I think I might be projecting since to me no matter how angry one might get, doing actual physical harm and resorting to violence just feels so wrong.
Looks like another failure of our criminal justice system (he wasn’t doing drugs!):

These cases are so often a failure because the victim refuses to press charges.

That’s a good point. :(

There’s been another mass shooting, this time in S.F.:

Give me a break. I’m certain I could find a very similar post from somebody on here about some right wing nutcase that either nobody took issue with or actively piled on.

This guy was just as much of a nut as the Portland terrorist. Very similar.

While shooting representatives is not cool, maybe they SHOULD be afraid of causing widespread hate of themselves.

I mean, Congress’ approval rating is, what? 20% with a 70% disapproval?

Maybe these guys need to be less shitty at their jobs so everyone doesn’t hate them. Being so shitty that the vast majority of the country hates you is gonna have consequences sooner or later.

Again, not an excuse for actual acts of violence at all, and I realize this is a sort of victim blaming, but these guys are taking actions which cause their own constituents to hate them so much that they are refusing to even speak to them at town halls. Maybe they should start reconsidering whether they are in fact acting in the best interests of the people they are supposed to be serving.

Could be I misinterpreted “pretty much what you would expect” as “of course it’s a leftist.” I’m not trying to suggest the guy isn’t a nutjob, that’s certainly not confined to the far right ((and I still don’t think most people no matter how shitty their facebook pages might be will actually act out violently. Maybe too many video games. (<-that’s an /s.))