Majority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise and others shot at GOP ballgame

To be clear, this is not Trump’s Space Doctor (Bornstein) but the White House physician. Still.

Boycotting an inauguration does not mean you’re calling it illegitimate, especially when Trump acted in a racist fashion just prior to that.

Trump got elected despite losing the popular vote, that makes him less legitimate by definition. It does not mean that he didn’t get elected by the rules in place.

As the Republicans continue erode democratic norms (and I’m not saying Democrats wouldn’t do the same thing- I think they would, especially now), attacks like this will become more commonplace.

If it ever gets to the point where elections are openly rigged, military intervention will become inevitable.

I don’t think you need to feel sorry for them, although a civilized individual would, but I do think you need to feel sorry for the direction this country is going when the shooting of a congressman, any congressman, leads to talk about “oh, I am against it, BUT, he was a bad man with bad ideas”.

It was bad form though. It was the Dems crying about losing to someone like Trump and refusing to admit that yea, they did lose. Move on.

I agree with this. It was tacky.

If you flip it around, the GOP refusing to attend Obama’s 2013 inauguration was tacky as well.

Agreed. We would be better off if the parties realized they worked for us and not for their party. Both sides.

Well in the case of John Lewis he specifically had a reason to, as Trump had insulted him personally a couple of days prior.

Also, John Lewis is a civil rights icon- so that led to more boycotts. If Trump hadn’t been insulting, it would have been bad form- but given how unpresidential he acted, it was warranted.

Also, to be blunt- each party’s base now truly believes working for the country means opposing almost everything the other party does.

Yep. Trump sets the tone and that tone is PUGNACIOUS CONFLICT damn the consequences. This isn’t a good look for the citizenry.

@Scuzz, you ain’t half bad. For a boomer.

Ya, but Obama was black.

When the mainstream republican party’s core goal is to funnel money to their ultra rich backers, you are damn right that I think Democrats should oppose almost everything they do.

If they actually decide to start working for their voters again, then maybe we can talk about compromise.

You aren’t going to get compromise if you’re focus is on things like the following:

• Cutting healthcare for millions of Americans so you can give the top 1% a tax cut
  • Cutting taxes on the top 1% at the same time you cut needed social programs
  • Banning Muslims
  • Removing needed regulations to increase profits for large corporations
  • Gutting the EPA to increase profits for large corporations
  • Gutting the FCC to increase profits for large corporations

I poke around occasionally on right wing twitter threads to just see what the other side is chatting about, and it’s really disheartening how combative and unreasonable these people are. It’s alarming to me how deeply entrenched politics has gotten and I suspect things are going to get a lot worse from here. I’m starting to feel like it is no longer possible for the opposing sides to bridge the divide.

I’ve given up on it. The only thing we can do is take this country back, and we need to frame in those terms. Demographics and time is on our side- and the more scared young people are the inflection point will be hit earlier.

The longer we drag this out the more we increase the chance of a disaster. The disaster may happen anyways, but the sooner it comes, the less bad it will be.

But I ruined the world … :)

Well, sure, but you weren’t… like… a jerk about it.

I am going to have to work on that then.

You’re one of the good ones.

I don’t care if they ne-ver come back
Cause it’s one, two, three strikes you’re out
At the old ball game!