Make a bootable USB for flashing BIOS

Isn’t this just a one-click operation? Information on this online leads to a ant hill of sketchy links and 90s style websites. There are Youtube videos made in 2011 that recommend hooking up a 3.5" floppy. It can’t be that hard, right? I’ve already downloaded two tools and neither of them seem to work.

I had to do that about 4-5 months ago. Ended up finding a site that let you create a DOS boot key using Windows 98 files. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

I used a really old, 256MB (yes, megabyte) USB key for it. It’s so tiny and obsolete I won’t ever need to overwrite it for anything. I haul it when I need to flash my mobo.

Thanks, i more or less ended up there as well. Turns out it’s not me but the computer as my laptop boots from the USB key i made easily but the POS desktop will not, despite setting it in BIOS correctly and even disabling the SATA drive.

Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website.

Some have their own utilities for that, others like ASUS have a Windows-based updater.

Never flash your BIOS in Windows. ASUS lets you put the .CAP BIOS files on a FAT16/32 (not NTFS) formatted USB drive and you can go directly in BIOS and flash from there.

Only on a few top-end motherboards.

(And it’s super-easy to brick your motherboard with it too, it’s single-failure bricking for some reason - even using a too-large USB drive can apparently cause issues…so I wouldn’t use it, at least in this generation - the next gen of motherboards will probably have it working better)

This was actually a file emailed to me by the MB support themselves who asked me to make one. I gather this was an engineering BIOS. I grew tired of dealing with it and sent it back, however i’m still surprised Windows doesn’t let you make a bootable USB for system repair issues just as a default function, and be forced to rely on sketchy sites and Command.coms from Windows XP. But i guess that’s why Ultrabooks come with a boot/repair partition.

The BIOS in my ASRock m/b updates from the Internet right from the BIOS itself, no USB stick or Windows needed. It’s pretty sweet.

Yeah, most modern BIOS’s support that. I agree, never flash in windows.

If I had to boot to DOS (in 2014?!) I would just skip it.

diskpart works? comes in my windows 7.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124.aspx

Why? Direct-updates are (seemingly because of the UEFI standard) single-failure, other update methods including windows are double-failure. Why risk it?

Not sure what you mean by single vs double failure.

Windows introduces variables, because it’s a multi-tasking environment. I’ve had flashes fail in windows, never in the BIOS directly.

How many mistakes you can make before you get a brick. (Plus…Windows tools are a GUI…)

And I’ve had to replace a few BIOS chips lately by people who messed up UEFI updating…it’s something which I really can’t recommend for this generation of motherboards. (I’m sure they’ll make it better for the next…)

Memory error or power hiccups. Once you have bricked a bios you won’t do it again.

I’ve seen some boards with a recovery mode? Not sure how those work if you already erased the bios. Haven’t cared to experiment. Maybe in my youth :)

Yeah, GUI isn’t a pro when there’s just so much more shit going on in the background of a Windows OS.

Actually, no, usually things like file name errors, or using the wrong bios for very similar-name boards.
“Recovery mode” is what you DON’T get if you use the current UEFI-flash systems, that’s the issue.

Rei - So it’s not a pro when it lets you have a easy to use, double-failure system? Right.