Making Quartertothree a more welcoming place

This… can’t… be good?

TL;DR Nesrie sticks up for herself and gives as good as she gets. Why is that a problem? Maybe that’s why she’s able to stick around here?

Oh shit…

LOL this thread is a lot of fun.

EDIT @wumpus beat me to it! LOL

My post, or something else? Hey, like I said, hard to tell who people are responding to sometimes!

I probably should’ve PM’d Nesrie. I wrote and rewrote it to try to take as much snark and emotion out of it as I could, but even if I succeeded in that, a few minutes later I can see it was probably a disproportionate response to this particular conversation.

Holy hell I was writing that same post guys…

BLACK HOLE VORTEX MAXIMILLIAN!!

A lot of people get mad at Nesrie because she’s addressing a lot of underlying assumptions about the conversation. Like i said way back when however many days/weeks ago, younger people / more progressive people have a whole set of built in assumptions as to what constitutes aggressive discourse that people here aren’t picking up on.

So because i like to work by analogy, imagine i post pictures of me without a shirt on, working out. Setting aside that you’d probably need HDR and sunglasses just to gaze upon it and the albedo of the earth just increased measurably and that you’d also be more sure than ever before we descended from monkeys, you’d also question whether or not this forum was a place you’d want to post in if you were a woman.

Fortunately or unfortunately what Nesrie tends to argue about (i think!) are the underlying assumptions about why I would post that picture rather than the specific details of whatever i said, and the tone posting such a picture would reflect upon the forum. Which can be very frustrating for people who want to address the details and not the underlying assumptions or tone such a post makes, without really understanding why doing something which otherwise is innocuous causes such a tone to be made.

This isn’t to say making things welcoming doesn’t seem aggressive to people for whom the implication is that they have been unwelcoming. In this regard i tend to hopefully remind everyone that we’re not just from one country but from everywhere on earth and that the contemporary discourse over certain touchy topics is by no means universally held as true. Especially because there is an unspoken implication that somehow it’s wrong for me to post that pic of me working out, when really i’m just me being me. Sometimes there isn’t a good answer.

Too slow my friend… too slow.

(dramatically blows smoke from the end of his six gun)

I’m glad you got my point because I don’t think @divedivedive got it at all. Outlier opinions generate controversy whether you like it or not. @Knightsaber decided not to post, which is totally a reasonable way to go! I’ve been there and done that! Sometimes it’s just not worth it.

That said, I still don’t understand why dive thought saber should post so there could be back up and cause even more of a scuffle. Where’s the benefit in that if you’re already feeling like your opinion isn’t in line with the majority… and not just reviewers mind you, but all the general populace too. That seems to have escaped him too.

Everyone has different taste. Bugs, especially cosmetic and animation bugs, bother people on different levels. They also get people really upset because we’re all tired of that shit.

And hey, as a job trait? Absolutely! I recently got to see My Cousin Vinny for the first time, and man, Vinny being an argumentative cuss with a nasty temper and an absolute refusal to ever back down wound up winning him his case! Huzzah! But those same traits ALSO got him repeatedly thrown in jail and almost cost him his (wildly out of his league) fiancée! What was a useful tool in one context was a dangerous flaw in others. Recognizing that she learning to adapt to surroundings and the people in your life is just as valuable a skill as being an indomitable force in the courtroom, IMO.

https://i.imgur.com/IW8simF.gif

Sorry, I had to.

As I say to my eye-rolling kids all the time, “be the water, not the rock.”

I found out recently, that My Cousin Vinny is considered on of the best examples of a Trial Lawyer in media.

http://www.abajournal.com/gallery/top25movies/89

My bad, I was referencing you.

If you believe I asked Knightsaber to join the Andromeda discussion in order to create more of a scuffle then you have either missed my point or I have not made it sufficiently.

He PM’ed me, mentioned that he had a similarly favorable opinion of the game, but wasn’t comfortable expressing his opinions in the game thread. Myself, thinking this is a damn shame that someone should have an opinion but be afraid to share it, tried to convince him. And I believe he did, ultimately. I would have said the exact same thing I’d he had PM’ed me saying he didn’t like the game, but was uncomfortable posting about it. I think we have failed as a community when someone has something to say but feels uncomfortable sharing. And that, in a nutshell, is what this topic is all about.

No offense taken.

deleted the rest. I think my babble didnt add much to my original post :)

Came back to the forum after an hour or two, saw 93 new posts in this thread, and I’m out, y’all. Imagine that Simpsons GIF where Bart works the door at a cathouse.

The title of this thread should be “Making Quartertothree a more confusing place” because it’s impossible to keep up with.

Ha, in the span of me doing one turn recap on BSG this thread went nuts

You said it yourself in the original post I replied to. You enjoy a good scuffle. I also saw the follow up paragraph that you didn’t think it’s cool that someone felt like they couldn’t post because that’s the point of my replies to you.

Sometimes it’s not worth it. You just have to realize that you’re fighting an uphill battle even before you hit the first key. Hell, many times I’ve typed up a screed and then just hit cancel. I felt like I posted it but it never made it onto the site. Maybe even a reply to you!

I really think there’s nothing wrong in learning to let go on a messageboard. I think it’s part of what makes it inviting and entertaining. You can’t hope to win all the battles, and there will be battles, but you can walk away knowing that a lot of people don’t agree with you. That’s life. Sometimes you’re watching Trump burn it all down for example and there isn’t a hell of a lot you can do about it until maybe two or four years later.

Went?

Let me help.