Making Quartertothree a more welcoming place

Well, I apparently use phrases I shouldn’t from time to time without knowing it, so I tend to give others some leeway, but yea, even I picked up on that one.

Heh, and if you had used that phrase I would be a lot less certain. We have our differences, but as far as I can tell, it’s never been that.

Well all right, so what about (for lack of a better word) trolls? I don’t mean bogus accounts signed up to try to sell us something or grief the members of the boards.

Let’s pick @John_Many_Jars, just to take somebody at random. I feel like I’m doing him a disservice calling him a troll, like he has no reason to exist beyond trolling, but then again he’s made no bones about being open about trolling on occasion.

In my mind, there’s room in a healthy forum for what I’ll call the gadfly. Someone who pokes a hole in any perceived pretensions. Keeps us honest. I like JMJ, and I’d miss him if he was gone. He’s funny, and that’s good enough for me.

But I get that one person’s joke is another’s insult. I get that some people, maybe @Nesrie, will think I’m wrong on this. I’m ok with discussing this, better to bring it out in the open and see where we all stand. I’d like to think that a forum can handle these differences. I’ve certainly been guilty of yanking people’s chains for the lulz myself.

Does that mean someone can’t be shrill for a bit. My mother can be shrill, it’s as annoying as hell when she is off on one like that and I like to ignore her or leave or tell her to cut it out.

Maybe JMJ thought Nesrie was being one but isn’t one all the time?

I mean i have friends and family you can say don’t be an asshole or you are acting like a tosser. Doesn’t mean they are always like that.

For me using the term troll is rolled out for too often and easily as a way of shutting someone down you don’t agree with and plenty of times they are trolling but many times it’s just a matter of differences

Does your text sound different than mine?

Is it controversial to say that it does? People have distinct voices when writing, too. Tom vs. Bruce wouldn’t be nearly as much fun if it were Tom vs. Tom But Playing The Other Side.

Wow, you didn’t know that there is no Bruce? There is only Tom. He put his beret on a cantaloupe and named it Bruce one day. The beret switches heads as they conversate, it designates who is allowed to speak.

Shrill behaviour comes across in text as easily as in speech, or are you saying shrill is not possible in a descriptive way but only in a sound way?

Yes it is. if he wants to call me an asshole, then call me an asshole. He used sexist language for a reason. It wasn’t an accident, and it was not neutral.

To add this does in many ways sum up the issue, you see it this way and want it this way and if it doesn’t fit well here we are.

Shrill behaviour by anyone is easily possible in the written word so really lets not say it isn’t eh. The fact people may not want to be called shrill is another thing all together isn’t it!

Wait, simply using the word “shrill” is sexist?

I don’t know what world you live in, but shrill as an adjective is commonly used against women, not men. It’s already been said, right here in this topic, and not just by me.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s an accident or just random choice that particular word was chosen to describe that particular poster in this particular thread. It carries extra baggage, up there with hysterical, nag, harpy, and, more extreme, bitch. Doesn’t generally get tossed out at dudes with any regularity. Even if you wanted to claim innocent ignorance… The extra context of where we are and who was speaking is significant.

Right. Which is why i said what I did to Scuzz which Rich completely overlooked.

Yes, sorry. On mobile, so my typing window covers everyone’s new posts that are coming in hot and heavy in this thread.

On a related note, thanks for the call out earlier. I don’t generally expect anyone to read my rambling, unguided screeds in this thread, hah.

I think you keep wanting to label me as some thing so you can just dismiss whatever I say. I can’t stop you from doing it. I am not going to even try, but in order to try and make QT3 a more welcoming place, that might mean just accepting that my viewpoint is not the solo annoying beacon in the world you want it to be. It might just be that that’s sexist language, as seen by a number of people, including women.

I don’t see this in Reemul’s posts at all, especially the bolded part.

You have fifteen seconds to name a very masculine, shrill, dude. GO!

I did not wake up this morning, or yesterday or even a year ago and decide shrill is often a sexist term and when used by someone like it was here is an aggressive and sexist act. So when Reemul repeats this claim over and over again, you do, you see, you you, you… it’s as if he thinks I just make shit up and hold people accountable to it. I’m not. I didn’t make these so-called rules.

So you tell me, if we want this forum to be more welcoming to women, how can I explain why these acts or words or symbols or pictures are perceived in this way for that reason, along with others, mind you, because I am NOT the only one saying this, how can I do that without Reemul coming up behind me and saying you just perceive it this way, you’re the problem.

Maybe I see it that way because I am a woman. Maybe just give me the benefit of the doubt once awhile. i did not create the world we live in.

I typed out a nice long reply and when reading it i think, why bother, it’s the same old same old, said over and over and I expect the same reply again with the same reason reasoning.

For me it’s this - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, let’s be honest for 99% of us it ain’t happening is it. Entrenched attitude, the belief I am always right (that’s most of us) and the continued need to justify our behaviour mostly over rules the changes needed for all us.

Shrill - IMO is descriptive - it has a definite description and not a particularly nice one, harpy springs to my mind as well but saying someone cannot use it as it focuses solo or mainly on women again is not right or correct or do all descriptive terms used need to fit this niche of applicable to both men and women. Probably best stop using nagging as well cause that sure fits women as well