Making Quartertothree a more welcoming place

Mansplaining was used against a particular user one time when they picked apart Nesrie’s entire participation in this thread line-by-line at extraordinary length earlier.

Really, then we should discuss. It’s not nice and we should use another term.

Moving on.

Now if we could’ve condensed the shrill debate down to a post like this, we’d be making progress!

Also, I’m going to need @legowarrior and @jsnell to switch up their avatars to something more distinct. Hard to keep track of which down and to the right on green is responding.

See this is why avatars are terrible previously we were just names and we learned each other’s names in this place, dammit! Get off my lawn!

I’d say it was closer to more like picking apart my participation and entire existence on the forum as a whole. I was not the one that used that term though.

a description

That is the part most people who don’t believe in white privilege (I hate that term) don’t seem to understand.

Give it a week and it will be the flavour/outrage of the month for the ‘outrage police’ to invent and then crusade against.

See this type of response doesn’t keep communication open.I asked him a genuine question, it wasn’t for justification purposes, it was to get a better understanding of the meaning of the word and how it was used. Dismissals like this is just, well it’s not welcoming.

People should be able to just have a conversation about things they don’t understand hopefully with the intent to try and understand.

Nowhere in my post did I suggest or dismiss your statement though, the only dismissal was against the use of the word as a(nother) ‘cause’.

In my short reply I was suggesting to Miguk to prepare for the likely fact that it will spread to ‘the real world’ and become another issue to have to contend with, but I am hopefull (although I doubt it) that it will die out before it manages to reach critical mass.

You’re downplaying the concerns of others by labeling people who voice concerns as “outrage police” while at the same time linking them to equivalency of the furor around the crusaders. How exactly does that open the lines of communication for some to voice a… concern?

If it was a simple concern for certain situations, perhaps it would have been better to open up in a more polite
way such as ‘excuse me, is this seat taken?’ than a villifying shame campaign of a buzzwords and pictures posted on the internet of the supposed “manspreaders”.

The ‘outrage police’ are the ‘hangers on’ who may or may not be impacted by whatever the campaign is for and/or against, and not the ones who launch the campaign or voice their displeasure at something.

I would agree. I would hope it’s simply okay to say excuse me sir I’d like a seat can you make room or something as opposed to posting pictures of ordinary people like that doing an inconsiderate but probably not hugely harmful thing. These pics are not in my circles, neither is people at Walmart either so there is ummm, a consumption for that. which is why we also get models posting pictures of people in changing rooms for giggles. It’s generally unkind. Not all of that has special words for it though.

Guess we are sort of in agreement then. :)

Yes!

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t code for something else. This is kind of like, maybe belching in public, kind of rude, maybe a little vulgar but that fact we have special word for it surprises me. Like what happens if you just ask someone to move over? Is that not a thing anymore? Asking for space.

In general I am not a fan of permanizing someone’s faults with social media unless it’s for help, or protection or because they can’t get a service or something… not just for hey look at this.

If anything I think that such campaigns will just further ‘entrench’ people on all sides. Where before it might have been possible to ask for ‘equal space’ at the seat now perhaps in many cases it will be be performed or percieved through the lens of “manspreading” and the results will be less harmonious for either party.

Same.

When I lived in NYC and took the subway ‘manspreading’ was a common term.