Making Quartertothree a more welcoming place

Or if someone says women are interested in and play games… maybe not have someone jump on and say prove it. But yeah, pretending it never happened is another option, always.

Why are you making me feel unwelcome? I love you anyway though.

Lemme tell you turkey necks something about Robespierre: He wound up in his own damn guillotine.

When I heard that members of the original Qt3 lynch mob got banned from their own revolutionary paradise, I thought of him.

And I slowly, slowly started to get funny feelings that I didn’t understand. Know what I mean?

I’m thinking it’s at least four jars

Nah. I think he has a single jar. And like most men, he exaggerates. Am I right, John Maybe One Jar?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HandyGrayDog-max-1mb.gif

http://i.imgur.com/1o9uX.gif

I know.

I was thinking over the weekend about restarting Mass Effect Andromeda and that got me thinking about a discussion I had with another forum member about the game, and our impressions. No names, because this was all by PM, but the member mentioned that they had really liked the game, but weren’t comfortable posting favorable impressions in the thread because they really didn’t want an argument. My first thought was come on man, jump in, myself and others will back you up! Because hell, I don’t mind a little scuffle now and then.

But it stuck with me because you know, that’s a little depressing. We make fun of the hive mind around here by if you get to the point where folks aren’t comfortable expressing a favorable opinion about a game in that game’s thread, what the hell kind of discussion board do we even have?

I still haven’t played ME:A, was the opposition that powerful?

I mean, if someone came into the Dishonored thread and explained why they didn’t like it I wouldn’t castigate them for it, even though I loooooooved the game. We don’t really do dogpiles here, that I’ve seen.

I don’t think it was. At least not here.

With Andromeda, I think mainly it’s just understood that it’s a bad game. Everyone says so, therefore it must be true, right? It’s not so much that there would be a dogpile as much as you’d be bucking convention. My own opinion is that it’s a flawed gem. I really liked it and I’m willing to argue its merits. But I can understand that not everyone is quite so willing.

Have you seen the Star Citizen thread? Those actually interested in the game don’t really post there anymore because it’s basically a soap box for one person with a humongous chip on their shoulder and a few regulars going “Har, har”.

In my recollection, the voices in the No Man’s Sky thread and ME: A threads were really loud and overpoweringly negative. And mostly from people who hadn’t played the game. Unfortunately, there’s no real polite way to say “can we please keep the discussion between people who have actually played the game”. So I just let it run its course. I couldn’t resist posting positive comments sometimes though, but ho boy, those positive comments were like trolling. People got really, really upset at seeing positivity, especially in the No Man’s Sky thread.

Yeah. I’ve seen that too in the NMS thread. It’s coming out on Xbox soon, at which point I’ll dive in. By now, it should be much easier to discuss the current state of the game fairly dispassionately though.

Yes. Across the entire internet, seemingly. The only place I’ve seen generally positive takes is the Crate and Crowbar Discord. (I think the hosts who have played it liked it to various degrees also. Every other podcast, whooboy.)

Well sure, but those people are objectively wrong!

More seriously, I think the actual game got lost beneath disgust and schadenfreude at the developer’s despicable business practices.

ME:A and No Man’s Sky are different in that it really is about the game.

That’s my impression, too. I don’t see a lot of dogpiling here but I guess it happens now and then. First rule of posting on the internet. Better have a moderately thick skin.

Good point. There needs to be a second thread devoted to gameplay discussion since there is some kind of playable version out there.

Star Citizen is pretty unique though. At this point the developers have earned a lot of that criticism.

The internet is terrible at picking up on sarcasm and dark humor. In fact in times of stress the internet is bad at all humor.

That’s why this thread even exists - that’s really not a good first rule of anything. Mainly it’s because of dinosaurs like you and me and some others that don’t mind mixing it up. We might have the mindset of, “You disagree with me? Awesome, let’s fight!” But not everybody does, and may be we shouldn’t either.

I’ve said this before elsewhere, but my absolute favorite thing about Qt3, what keeps me coming around, is that I’m always finding something cool and new that folks here will advocate for. I’ve spent a lot of money because of you all, and you’ve led me true more often than not. I know a lot of people like to gripe but I’ve never come around for that. If there’s a topic that doesn’t interest me, I disengage. If there’s a discussion about something I just didn’t like, I may express my opinion but then I’ll step back, I don’t want to bring the thread down with my complaints. I don’t expect everyone to live by my rules, but I’m always much more into finding the positive in things that running something or someone down I don’t like. That’s my Qt3 resolution, keep it positive.