Malwarebytes paid version?

I actually find it less spammy than the previous version.

Malwarebytes 3.0 has been released, and it’s fairly big.

It’s an improved MBAM of course, but it also folds in the previously-separate Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, as well as the new Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.

A bunch of us got lifetime subscriptions to MBAM back before they began the switch to yearly licenses. And you had to pay extra for MBAE.

Well, if you’re a lifetimer, they’re grandfathering you. So you can install MBAM 3.0 over your existing MBAM, and bingo.

Oh, that’s nice. I’ve got a lifetime MBAM sub but I’ve only been using the trial version of MBAE.

I have the lifetime sub, so this is indeed nice.

How detailed is the information you receive when “something something” happens, and how are the user interface to customize settings - and how detailed?

One thing I’ve found over the years is that the web pages for these applications are good with the text telling you how advanced their stuff is, but very few of them show actually user interface screenshots on how you interact with the application.

For example here is Comodo CIS - Firewall - Custom settings for an executable:

And here is the same for application settings:

The biggest issue I have at the moment with Comodo is that I can not easily create a “profile” that I can apply to new applications using an existing configuration as baseline, so I instead have to copy settings from an existing application after I created a rule for the new application (Basically: A Profile can be applied on first alert, a copy-of-settings has to be applied after I already make a rule for the new app…).

Had to disable Web Protection on 3.0 as it would blue screen my W10 PC with 100% consistency when using Chrome. Otherwise, seems nice.

I’m having issues with the mbam system tray. It says “protection disabled” even though the main app says protection enabled.

So I uninstalled mbam to reinstall it but there are notification area residuals under Windows 10 taskbar settings:

How do I get rid of these?

Whoa. I ran Malwarebytes uninstall tool and it ADDED another system tray executable to the list. What the flip is going on?

Where are you seeing those? I can’t seem to find it on my system.

Also, that uninstall tool may not have been updated for 3.0 yet.

If all else fails, check on their forum. It’s pretty active.

It’s in Windows 10 if you right-click on the Taskbar, go to Settings, and under Notification Area, “Select which icons appear on the taskbar”.

I did find a fix which involves editing the system registry to clean out the notification area icon cache and restarting Explorer. So this sounds more like a Windows issue than a poorly written Malwarebytes uninstaller.

Weird. No problems at all on my two machines, and I use Chrome.

Huh. I’ve got the Lifetime sub, and mine is still version 2 something. Checked for updates and it isn’t showing any updates available.

Gotta download V3 and install it over V2.

Ah- makes sense, thanks.

I just renewed my paid subscription to MBAM a few weeks ago.
I’m assuming this is only a free upgrade for the lifetime subscribers? Or can a yearly subscriber benefit as well?
I don’t have MBAE, but would like to have it.

If I’m not eligible, I wish they would offer an upgrade option without having to plunk down the full price.

I am a lifetime subscriber. I just updated to version 3 and it states that my sub never expires. I am assuming that means everything that was added to the new integrated package.

You can upgrade to v3 for free. Even better, you’ll stay locked in at your current subscription rate as long as you continue your subscription. The automatic upgrade will be enabled in the next week or two for current subscribers. Or you can just download v3 from their website and install it over your current version.

From their FAQ.

[quote]I already have a subscription to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium. How much do I have to pay for Malwarebytes 3.0?

Existing subscribers won’t have to pay anything extra. Even though Malwarebytes 3.0 will sell for $39.99, all of our existing customers will keep their original price. So if your subscription is currently $24.95, it will remain at that price while your subscription remains active, and you can get Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium without having to pay anything extra. Your existing license key will work automatically with Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks for doing that research. I apparently did not dig very deep when I visited their site. Everyone here was just referencing the Lifetime subscriptions, so I assumed I was out of luck.

web protection conflicts with web protection of any other antivirus/antimalware.

I’ve also noticed that the Web Protection in MBAM breaks uBlock Origin’s ad-blocking in Chrome.