Malwarebytes paid version?

You can turn off web protection (or any other module) if you’ve got issues.

I expect a lot of patches in the coming months to iron out all the teething issues of a major release.

One nice thing I discovered is if you have a MBAE subscription, you can also upgrade to MBAM 3.0. I had two lifetime MBAM licenses, but I needed a separate 3-machine license for MBAE. But now that anti-exploit is in MBAM 3.0, I effectively have 5 licenses now; 2 lifetime and 3 former-MBAE licenses.

So I shouldn’t run it with something like Windows Defender?

Your mileage may vary with conflicts. It won’t work with Sophos Home so I’ve uninstalled that entirely in favour of using MBAM exclusively

It will run fine with Defender. I’ve got it on 3 machines using Defender.

MBAM was designed to work in conjunction with AV software.

And with 3.0, Malwarebytes is actually touting MBAM as an antivirus replacement, but you can still run AV software. If you want to, go ahead. More layers of security is better, so long as they don’t nullify each other. But I plan on sticking with Defender and MBAM 3.0, and not running flash and java.

[quote]
With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.0, we are confident that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus, thanks to our innovative and layered approach to preventing malware infections using a healthy combination of proactive and signature-less technologies. While signatures are still effective against threats like potentially unwanted programs, large portion of our malware detection events already come from our signature-less technologies like our Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware; that trend will only continue to grow. For many of you, this is something you already know, since over 50% of our customers already run Malwarebytes as their sole security software, without any third-party antivirus. But rest assured, we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.[/quote]

3.0.5 is out; lots of fixes.

While I agree signature-free scanning is better, I would still use a layered strategy of both malwarebytes and traditional AV. The free windows defender is fine, no need to pay for a commercial alternative.

That’s the beauty of Defender and a lifetime MBAM license. I don’t have to pay for security software going forward.

MBAM is causing TCPIP.sys BSODs for me now–I can replicate/reproduce. It seems to be aggravated by or not dealing with the background torrent-like background downloading/distribution systems used by F2P game installers like BitRaider.

v3.04 still has the ‘x layer of protection is not on’ when it clearly is that goes away if you restart. v3.05 was just released to try and fix this.

Direct download from them for v3.05 is here: https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mb3-setup-consumer-3.0.5.1299.exe

Saw a reference to Threatfire upthread. Anyone here use the latest version? Would I use it instead of or along with Avast?

It’s owned by Norton now. I wouldn’t touch anything Norton myself.

Oh. Hell no, then. Thanks.

Am I am missing something to get the paid version of 3 to updates its definitions itself? I leave my PC in sleep mode and use it as needed. Was just playing a game (Titan Quest) and I get a pop up telling me definitions were old. TQ eventually recovered, but it took awhile and it wasn’t acting normally. I have everything set as far as I can tell to update itself. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

the UI is kind of buggy with 3.x right now. the forum is filled with ‘it’s nagging me even though it’s updated’ and ‘nagging me thinking some layers aren’t enabled when it apparently is all enabled’

i took a step back and uninstalled it in favour of (lesser protection for now) sophos home. this is why we never deployed it to the enterprise when the enterprise product was first available and again recently with 2.0. the centralized dashboard has always been unstable for me.

My Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro Lifetime license from 2014 is supposed to active v3.x, correct? I swear it did when I upgraded last month, now it is complaining of requiring activation and won’t accept my license. I sense a support call in my future…

It should. But did you buy it from a third-party seller? I bought 2 lifetime licenses directly from Malwarebytes and a third from a seller on Amazon. The Amazon one was not legit, and MBAM converted it to a regular license after a year or two.

Yeah, it was direct from MBAM. I’ll log a support ticket. Cheers!

i’ve abandoned mbam 3.x since it’s just too buggy for me.

The bundled ransomware protection is by far the buggiest part, but I’ve been thinking about downgrading without actually doing it yet.

Somehow, my Malwarebytes just got upgrade to 3.0.6 itself, or perhaps it has upgraded before but I did not notice the new interface. Anyway, just wanted to pop in to thank whoever it was up thread who recommended the lifetime license. I am glad I listened and my PC has you to thank for the protection!

I installed (or tried) to install the latest version on a virtual PC, only to find you can only download trialware versions that I assume timebomb in 30 days.

What happened? I want to use the free version, I don’t want the full… do they no longer provide free stuff?