Malwarebytes paid version?

The premium version has always been not-free.

The ‘Premium’ features disappear after 14 days - you’re then left with the free version. So the free version basically comes with 2 week Premium trial.

free version is for manual scan and cleanup.

Fairly big update is out. Went from 3.0.6 to 3.1.2. Lots of fixes and improvements, and a new protection layer.

Please tell me it just updates itself without having to ask me to do so. I have it set to download updates automatically, yet it still pops up with a warning me almost every day.

It prompted me to update. It downloaded and began the installer. The trick is to manually quit out of MBAM as soon as the installer starts, and it’ll overwrite it. Otherwise, it’ll tell you to do so.

Changelog

Here’s What’s New & Improved:
Performance/protective capability
Multiple enhancements result in reduction of memory usage
Faster load time and responsiveness of third-party applications
Improved performance of Web Protection
Faster Malwarebytes 3 program startup time and responsiveness of user interface
New detection and protection layer with machine learning based anomaly detection (to be deployed gradually even if it shows “enabled” under Settings)
Improved Self-Protection by requiring escalated privileges to disable protections or deactivate a license
Enhanced malware protection techniques and remediation capabilities
Added an automatic monthly scheduled scan in Free mode
Usability
Added ability to control the priority of manual scans on the system
Added setting to turn off ‘Real-Time Protection turned off’ notifications when protection was specifically disabled by the user
Added ability to exclude the last website blocked by Web Protection via the tray menu
Fixed several defects related to configuring Custom Scans, including selecting child folders and fixing issues with touch screens
Fixed problem where a right-click context scan appeared broken after scheduled scan due to misleading “Cannot start a scan while another one is in progress” message
Fixed issue where you could not add or edit a scheduled scan in Spanish and some other languages
Fixed issue where scan could appear stuck on Heuristics Analysis when it had actually completed successfully
Fixed issue where Self-Protection setting would fail to toggle correctly after an upgrade
Stability/issues fixed
Fixed several crashes in the Web Protection module
Fixed issue where Ransomware Protection would be stuck in ‘Starting’ state after a reboot
Fixed a conflict with Norton that caused web pages not to load and plug-ins to crash in Chrome
Fixed issue with WMI protection technique in Exploit Protection that could cause Office applications to crash
Fixed several crashes related to the service and tray
Fixed security vulnerabilities that could be chained together to perform local privilege escalation
Fixed many other miscellaneous defects and user interface improvements

Mine’s still at 3.06 and it says “current” when I hit the updates button.

They roll it out in waves. Not everyone at once. You can download it if you don’t want to wait. It’s on the official site.

Sophos Home (free antivirus for home users) has a pilot for Sophos Home Premium now which integrates the superior anti-ransomware/exploit functionality of HitmanPro Alert. Beta users will get 1 year free once it launches. No pricing info announced yet.

https://home.sophos.com/register/beta

Ohhh, I just updated my copy this way. Thanks! Was kind of annoying because it seemed to have to reboot twice to fully delete the service, but we’re good now.

The current ransomware crisis is a good reminder of why you should use something like MBAM Premium or Hitman Alert. Indeed, the Malwarebytes Blog says you would have been protected if you were running MBAM Premium.

In fact, MBAM 3 runs on Windows XP. Bet you wish the NHS had deployed it on their systems right about now. [Correction: while MBAM 3 does run on XP, the anti-ransomware protection does not work. So, yeah, GET THE FUCK OFF XP ALREADY.]

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2663549-system-requirements-and-os-support-for-malwarebytes-3-0?b_id=15026

OK… but you were also protected with the basic Windows Defender, right? Assuming you kept it updated.

Well, you would have been protected if you have Windows Update on automatic updates. MS fixed this issue in March. And, you were already safe if you had Win 10, which was immune to the flaw.

MS also updated Defender today, according to their TechNet Blog

For customers using Windows Defender, we released an update earlier today which detects this threat as Ransom:Win32/WannaCrypt. As an additional “defense-in-depth” measure, keep up-to-date anti-malware software installed on your machines. Customers running anti-malware software from any number of security companies can confirm with their provider, that they are protected.

Does Malwarebytes ever sell lifetime memberships anymore as a limited time special kinda thing, or is it only the recurring sub these days?

I’m on Windows 7 tho! Thankfully I already had Malwarebytes Premium.

Not that I’ve seen. But if you bought in to something like the Anti-Exploit subscription, they grandfathered your existing subscription price. So I got an Anti-Exploit sub for 3 machines for $24/year. They upgraded it to MBAM 3 Premium for the same price, which is a great price considering a new subscription is $40/year, and that’s for a single machine. (I also have 2 lifetime subs).

I don’t believe that’s correct. Win10 was vulnerable, but MS patched it back in March.

Yeah, I was reading an Australian blogger that Techmeme linked to, and he was wrong.

Australia was founded by criminals, they no doubt misled you on purpose!

Not entirely correct…
More software isn’t the solution to things like this… (Sandboxes can be bypassed, signature-definitions are always outdated when they are needed, etc…)

The current ransomware hype is a good reminder that you should -NEVER- open attachments (or click links) in emails from people you do not know, or people you know what you do not expect emails from.

Every time my parents or siblings ask me about things like this (had a call from my Mother today regarding what the news were hyping about the end of days on the internet and whatnot thanks to this crypto tool.) I repeated the same mantra I have always told her, and them.

Never trust anything you read or receive on the internet. If you do not expect to receive something, it is false. If you suddenly get an invoice but you haven’t ordered something, delete it. If someone on your friends list suddenly sends you a message in a different language with an attachment or a link that you do not expect to receive from them, delete it. (Also, you never win, nothing is free, etc. etc etc…)

The ransomware that hit Russia and the NHS for example (which according to earlier news reports had several thousand XP computers) could maybe have been avoided with a good Software Restriction Policy (course, it would only take one infection to hit the entire network, not sure if SMB1.x could be killed on XP?) combined with an email filtering/proxy for outside access. As from all the information I’ve read is that it was received through an attachment in email - assuming it was an executable. Chances are that they, if they were running Windows XP also had outdated versions of Java, Flash and Adobe PDF reader on the computers - so there are several tasty targets to attack, not to mention vulnerable browsers allowed to access the “full” internet, no ad-filtering, waterhole attacks etc.

Has there been any reports on what the initial compromise situation was, and if it was email, how it was formatted? I.e. If it is a typical “worm” attack which attacks at random and spreads by itself, or was it a tailored attack towards NHS where the email would appear to be something related to what NHS work with. I would think that most major crime kits already have a module for MS17-010 so you can get it by just visiting the wrong web page (like BBC or New York times, thanks ads!) and get it that way as well.

Regardless, anything software to mitigate or prevent incidents would take funding and a lot of time. They must have a XP replacement underway, but it is unknown how much time they had spent on “stopgap” measures such as VDI and hardened network solutions to reduce the impact of any infections. Surely they have been working on this for years already; or have all the money gone to stuff like this? Abandoned NHS IT system has cost £10bn so far | NHS | The Guardian

I guess network infections like this could also be blocked with some decent network surveillance software (again, funding) to detect anomalous traffic/processes and mechanisms in place to automatically quarantine computers / part of the network that exhibit these processes. Think water-tanks on the Titanic. but again, Funding.

Finally:
If the internal spread is related to SMB 1.x, surely this is reliant on the “Server” service on Windows XP, which if I remember correctly can safely be disabled while you retain “Workstation” service to access SMB files on network shares (Cant remember the dependency between those two services)? Thus you would not be remotely infected by this worm, you could only infect unpatched servers (and crypt anywhere you had write access) if you yourself launched the cryptokit. So, everything would’ve been avoided with configuration of software they already had. - Given resources to do so.

I guess they’ll blame the lack of money on the EU.